Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

Energia rip off their existing customers to pay for their new customers, have you looked to see if their EV rate of 5. something cent is still available ? Their day rate is a good bit more expensive though with their EV rate last time I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

For the last 12 months I've averaged 35% of my energy usage at night so need to balance that against a higher day rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I was going to check in case it was just me but probably just a backlog due high number of IDs sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is the battery 92% of 58kwh or 62 KWh?

as it’s a 62 with a useable of 58.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I don't have the Matrix headlights, just the standard ones on base 1st, but have a similar issue. Other cars are constantly flashing at me when I have the dims on.

The car was back with VW for something else recently and I have been told the lights were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I've a Peugeot 3008 and I have the same problem. As soon as the days get dark early everyone is flashing me. Very annoying. I only have standard lights also.

LED headlights produce a glare and that is uncomfortable to a lot of people, even the led street lights produce a glare and it can be quite harsh. LED street lamps should have some kind of diffuser to reduce the glare. I often find myself using the sun visor at night due to this glare which no question has a harsh light compared to Gas Lamps. Of course the white colour of led Street lights is a lot better than the yellow or orange colour from the old sodium lamps which I found very depressing as everything was stained in this colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

Yes we managed to get the credit. Id4 collected on 1st July, received my November sse bill at the start of the month and the credit was added to my account. You won't get any confirmation from sse it will just appear as credit on your bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

It did take a lot of pushing to get it sorted. The garage submitted the forms three times, I sent emails to sse and called. Eventually found out that once sse receive the correct forms from the garage it will take at least 60 days from that point, not the day you signed up to sse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Is there something wrong with my ID 3? Left home this morning at 05:00 from west co wexford and belted it on the backroads to Carlow. About 75 Km. Then motorway at 120 kmh to Dublin but traffic bad enough so about 80 kmh for last bit around city to airport. Preheated car and a little heating needed for trip. About 7 or 8c.

Recorded 15.9 kWh/100 km which was far better than I expected.

A little p11sed atm in Istanbul excuse my ramblings….will be interested to see what the phantom drain is in a weeks time…

You're in Istanbul ? lol WTF

I can hardly manage to get less than 19 Kwh/100 km but short trips that I've been doing the last week and preheating not plugged in take their toll + using travel assist, or even adaptive cruise isn't the most energy efficient on long runs as it can't read the road ahead only the car in front. But don't care with so much Kwh I'm not at all bothered, nearly 4000 kms and has cost me 10 Euro's or less with work charging! 😁

+ I don't have the heat less than 22-23 degrees. You have it what, 19 ? lol.

I think I pre heated to 22c for about 20 mins, but car was too hot so set it to 18.5c which was comfortable for the trip up. I don't like too much heat, was the same with my petrol and diesel cars. Was impressed with the efficiency, don't think would have got much better with our Ioniq 28kWh. Perhaps if a bit colder the efficiency would not have been as good as the Ioniq.

The red light warning means "brake immediately" I got this a few times even with travel assist on the N7 where the traffic can go from 0-100 and back to 0 in a split second. Maybe it would have braked and maybe it wouldn't but not worth the risk.

In this kind of traffic I can see the cars in front brake hard and manually slow down where as the car can only see the car in front.

But, I thought this anti collision stuff was supposed to prevent rear ending cars and stopping accidents in general, I guess not.

Most of the time travel assist or should I say adaptive cruise control is a dream but this kind of driving where traffic goes from 0-100 and back to 0 I think is beyond the abilities of adaptive cruise control.

It would be nice to think that those stuck in their phones while driving and have cars with adaptive cruise or even car with emergency brake or whatever would be capable of preventing an accident but I guess not.

What we will need probably are cars that communicate with each other in some form so that your car knows the cars ahead are slowing down before it only sees the car ahead at the last second and throws a wobbler and turns on that red light warning.

I used to have the adaptive cruise set closest to the car in front but I backed it off a bit and it really made a difference because the car has more time to "think" and it doesn't what appears to lamp on the brakes as much as before, it's more gentle.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JC 3.14159

Looking at the image of the car on the salvage truck and comparing to this, I'd say the auto-braking had a pretty big effect. Look how far back the front wheel got displaced in the NCAP test - the one on the truck seems to have its wheels in the right place (this NCAP front collision test replicates a crash into a static vehicle so it should be comparable)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I thought the V2X was going to cover that scenario - but more cars on the road need to have this feature, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If my Ioniq is anything to go by - doing a longer trip helps boost the efficiency figures.

Impact of heating and the like is absorbed much better.

This has even more significance on ID3 with the well noted battery heating behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

That's impressive ID3 efficiency.

200 miles plus on a charge.

Is the fact its not terribly cold atm helping????

• Advertisement

Yes, wasn't cold enough for battery heating. Pre heating the ID.3 makes a big difference as well, the efficiency of the Ioniq 28kWh with the heat pump is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Another argument against converting old cars to electric, newer cars have better safety standards

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The front assist does work, but it has limits to what speed it can bring the car to a halt in

There's a table in the manual detailing it. I think the limit for a stopped car in front is 85km/h in ideal conditions.

So if you're driving at 85km/h in dry conditions on good tyres the car will stop itself before you crash. If you're doing 110km/h, or its raining or your tyres are bald, then you'll crash regardless

The difference of course is that the front assist will try to stop you, and if you don't brake hard enough it'll increase the braking force to slow you down as much as possible before impact

So hopefully instead of being a headline on RTE you'll just be an annoyed driver with no ID.3 😜

Another thing they don't exactly advertise is that you can override the front assist by pressing the accelerator pedal

I do agree the Travel assist can be a bit nerve wracking in traffic. It can only see the immediate area around you, so it isn't aware of what's going on ahead. Hopefully V2X solves this, but we'll need more cars on the road with that before it'll be useful

I tend not to use it on the M50 as I find the traffic is very hectic and I prefer to be in control. I prefer it on more open roads where the cars in front aren't as likely to slam on the brakes as suddenly

I also set the distance for the ACC to 4/5 bars to give more reaction time. Unfortunately in heavy traffic this leaves enough of a gap that everyone cuts in front of you on the motorways, which slows you down even more 😬

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I use travel assist on the M50 and N7 all the time in the worst of traffic it's actually grand once you pick a lane and stay in it and just watch the road ahead it manages superbly in most circumstances and I wouldn't be without it now.

In the slowest of traffic 10 Km/hr or less I don't even need to touch the wheel. Though maybe after a set time it will bug you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭pad199207

Well so much for my commuting - it lasted about six weeks. Could have kept the old merc another year! Although we have still put up 7500 km in three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

WFH? Why the sudden change. Cases on the rise again.

Yeah. My workplace were trialling a hybrid model but that’s been paused for now. It doesn’t make much difference to me. I can do everything I need to in my home office. Commuting is mostly a waste of time.

Oh how lucky People are who can work from home, wish I could!

Just think though all the mileage you won't be clocking up, the car will hold it's value well.

I'm a month in and have almost 4000 Kms, haven't been in work since last Thursday so would be passed 4000 Kms now.

• Advertisement

I'm more used to what it can and can't do and it's designed for the M50/N7 gridlock kind of traffic too, yes of course you have to be watching because as I said earlier, it can't see the traffic ahead, only the car in front so if they brake very hard from say 100, then you might need to intervene, I think this is the only real situation where I was scared at first but I'm not scared any more because I know it's rather extreme for the car to slow down in time when traffic comes to a stop quickly because there is no way for the car to see the traffic ahead so I observe and prepare to intervene.

What did help a lot was to leave a good bit more space from the car in front, I had it set to minimum distance which is fine when traffic is flowing feely at speed without huge volumes but I think in commuter N7/M50 traffic it works a lot better setting the car further away on the adaptive cruise, it does annoy some drivers in the right lane though and think everyone should drive on top of the other car and will even undertake me to fill this gap all just to get one space ahead of me so they can drive up the rear end of the next car, some really big idiots out there.

Advertisement