Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limousin Herd Dispersals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How does the whole embryo thing work? If the pregnancy doesn't hold, are you down a €1,000 ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Yes

Jeez. I do be mad when a €10 straw doesn't hold. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

�� Saw that, she'd be value at that to flush and sell embryos for a thousand a pop.

Don’t think you get a thou a pot until she produces something of note herself. Again you buy the egg, and the recep, and pay to put in, it would turnout a lot of money for a plain lim.

Another day out, the commercial side of the Ardlea herd. :D

https://www.irishlimousin.com/event/commercial-dispersal-sale-on-behalf-of-ardlea-elite/

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

With all these big commercial sales going on you'd wonder how high prices will get come the end of the year. haven't you Martin O'Conner(i think that's his name) having his in calf heifer sale later this year and the Roundhill/Castleview herd selling heifers too. No Carrick winter fair on though

• Advertisement

They know me so well. :D Just came in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Would these be more expensive than the last in Elphin? Would love to pick one as a starter but not at those prices!

Would these be more expensive than the last in Elphin? Would love to pick one as a starter but not at those prices!

It depends if there are UK bidders active. They tend to drive prices mad. I was at the same sale 2 years ago and the Castleview herd sold well. The Roundhill herd not as well as previous sales. €2,500 would buy a heifer there and higher for fancier lots. This is their 8th such sale so that in itself tells it's own story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

They know me so well. :D Just came in the post.

They must know you have money burning in your pocket.....will you be bidding:D

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    They must know you have money burning in your pocket.....will you be bidding:D

I'll go down for a look on Friday evening. I always enjoy going to that sale. Bought my first pedigree there and she was lucky for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I'll go down for a look on Friday evening. I always enjoy going to that sale. Bought my first pedigree there and she was lucky for me.

Well did you see anything you liked?

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Well did you see anything you liked?

Castleview had a serious lineup of heifers. Lovely correct feminine types. You'd be happy to take home any of them. Bobby O'Connell's gamin heifer (21) was a dinger too. I'd say she will top the sale. The Roundhill Ice Cream (19) heifer was nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Is this Sale on today, can it be viewed online?
    Oh, I see it’s at 1pm on martbids.

Castleview had a serious lineup of heifers. Lovely correct feminine types. You'd be happy to take home any of them. Bobby O'Connell's gamin heifer (21) was a dinger too. I'd say she will top the sale. The Roundhill Ice Cream (19) heifer was nice too.

Lot 21 5300e & lot 19 9500e. You weren't far off. I was following it some lovely heifers at it & not too bad of money

Lot 21 5300e & lot 19 9500e. You weren't far off. I was following it some lovely heifers at it & not too bad of money

These 2 were the typical fancy muscley types that make big money at sales. No milk in either of their pedigrees. I'd rather have any of the other heifers, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

These 2 were the typical fancy muscley types that make big money at sales. No milk in either of their pedigrees. I'd rather have any of the other heifers, to be honest.

just saw the last few lots selling, sean o'sullivan had a cracker of heifer that sold for 5200 or 5300 or thereabouts,

I've lost touch with the bloodlines etc, but she looked value at the money.

Woodview herd dispersal on today in Elphin. I went to look this morning myself. Might see can I pick a heifer up cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Woodview herd dispersal on today in Elphin. I went to look this morning myself. Might see can I pick a heifer up cheap

Mixed enough quality I thought.

What were prices like?

adne wrote: »
    Mixed enough quality I thought.

Alot of the cows I thought weren't that great. There was a couple of nice heifers, with the Grangeford JoJo sired one hitting around 3000.

I grabbed one but paid abit more than I wanted. Felt like the lad I was bidding against waited til last minute each time to bid again. Was annoying me so I threw a couple more bids in. Joys of online I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Alot of the cows I thought weren't that great. There was a couple of nice heifers, with the Grangeford JoJo sired one hitting around 3000.

I grabbed one but paid abit more than I wanted. Felt like the lad I was bidding against waited til last minute each time to bid again. Was annoying me so I threw a couple more bids in. Joys of online I suppose

Good luck with your heifer. Seems to be a lot of herds closing up these days is it an alarming sign for the pedigree men?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

With so many suckler herds going the market for beef bulls is contracting. Looking a some of the prices from Tuam it would be hard to see a margin for the bull producer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Lot 40 was nice I thought. The cows were poor and the incalfs poor. The one that hit 3k was a bit short n stocky i thought. Nicest heifer was 42 but seemed bad back legs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Good luck with your heifer. Seems to be a lot of herds closing up these days is it an alarming sign for the pedigree men?

Plenty of lads buying them to start their own herds

Ballybawn herd catalogue now up on limousin society website.

Yeah it says at the start of the catalogue that they are going into Friesian breeding, so another one gone to the dairy side

Are Co-ops taking on new applicants, we must be in line for 1.3M + dairy cows next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

He's going rearing heifers not milking.

• Advertisement

Not a dispersal but the NW limousin had their heifer sale yesterday. Originally there was supposed to be 31 but only 19 were actually there (12 sold). I'd a few picked out to look at but weren't there (sold before the sale). Pity as it wasn't advertised before hand. I ended up buying one but difficult enough as there was no under bidders so I was winning on 2 others but sellers said too low.

Advertisement