Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are mods just giving up or is the reporting function broken?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Agree here. Given that the reported posts forum is not working correctly it is the rare occasion that personal abuse will be caught. The best way to report it is to pm the mods of the forum however there is no way to determine who they are either.

The only modding I personally do is when I happen across something in a thread I am involved in. Other than that it is a waiting game for functionality to be restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Some of the abuse is being caught - I'm seeing the odd post disappearing. What I'm not seeing much of is any follow up action. I'm not seeing posters getting warning, infractions or getting banned.

That's what's leading me to think abuse is generally now tolerable here, few specially chosen groups excepted.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I can re-emphasise that all reports in the forums I am responsible for are reviewed. And I've just done a quick tot-up - that represents just about 2/3rds of all reports over the past week, which is also pretty reflective of the pattern since the platform changeover

Obviously there are many other forums across the site and without doubt many of them are currently without mod cover. Equally though I can see from the reported posts we do get that many that do relate to those other forums have received mod attention. In addition I'm picking up reports of spammers and the like

As I have already stated several times - there s no visibility of any action taken on the new platform, unless a mod posts about any such action. In the absence of such posts you will never see evidence of warnings. You can see evidence of site-bans though as the user avatar is behind bars

So no problem then, nothing to be seen here? It's obvious to anyone that abusing people is now more tolerated here than just 12 months ago.

Mod action shouldn't be just done, that also need to be seen to be done. With that in mind shouldn't there be a directive that mod actions should always be accompanied by a thread note.

Without it, it just reinforces the notion that there is no point reporting posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have quite a bit of sympathy for the moderators on this one. They didn't design the new platform.

They have been left with nothing in between a thread ban and a full siteban which doesn't help them in anyway. They have also been left with a situation whereby a number of mods have joined users in not frequenting the new platform. A shortage of mods allied to a shortage of mod tools will leave any discussion platform with a problem.

Then once mod action is frustrated or delayed because of these factors beyond their control, abuse, trolling etc. are not dealt with and other posters respond, again in frustration, and a spiral ensues. I am actually surprised that the problem isn't worse which just shows that the mods are doing the best they can with the limited tools they have.

• Advertisement

While it's fair to say they didn't design the new platform, there is nothing stopping them from adding a note on threads with their actions. The new platform has not prevented that, but it's a practice that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

And if they are short bodies to moderate, just appoint more. It's not as if they are a finite resource - there can be as many as wanted, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Those are definitely solutions, but they are not necessarily implementable in the short-term.

I can't see any reason myself that it would take anything longer than a day to implement a mod policy that all mod actions that are not visible through the platform must be accompanied by a thread note.

Can't see any reason why it would take longer than a couple of days to appoint additional moderators.

It's just the will for both of these solutions isn't there. As I said, it just looks like the site isn't serious about this issue anymore.

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The report feature isn’t working very well. So there is no guarantee that personal abuse is being picked up by moderators. If you see a post that is definitely actionable and you don’t believe any action has been taken, PM one of the moderators responsible for the forum, or failing that an Admin who might be able to do something.

Personal abuse is not something that was ever tolerated on boards.ie. But since the changeover it is something that is easier for moderators to miss.

The problem, aside from the toleration of abuse (and it is being tolerated now, I have first hand experience sadly) is that it's impossible to know if anything is being done about it. Report it and its a guess if it's being actioned or considered not worthy of action.

Mods should be putting notes about their moderation actions on all threads.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If I did that I would have another 2k or so posts since the platform change. Well actually I would not as I would probably only have had time to do half of those mod actions and a lot of stuff would have got through. I delete nearly all posts I officially warn precisely because there would be no obvious mark indicating action had been taken (and we would otherwise get repeat reports). It might take a day or two but we get to all reports in those forums

And I can categorically state that personal abuse against other users is clamped down on every time in Current Affairs and Coronavirus where reported. It's actually quite easy to spot reports from those two forums and as I've already indicated they take up around 2/3rds of all reports since the changeover

Well if it's an issue of manpower, just get more. It's not as if it costs anything to have more moderators.

Why haven't more been appointed?

It has been said a few times that we do not have the mod powers yet, which largely explains why many mods are not currently modding. I have more powers as as Admin, but also as I've said it's a lot easier to spot reports from the forums I deal with (Indeed it would not take much more time to glance. through all reports, but again I do not know if local mods are picking up specific ones). I've seen plenty of evidence of it happening in some of the larger forums beyond the ones I moderate such as AH and Soccer

If you feel that posts are being left up abusing you and have reported them please drop me a PM with links and I will take a look

That still doesn't answer the question as to why more haven't been appointed. The change to vanilla happened in what June, and these high priority mod tools haven't surfaced yet, so we have been trundling along with insufficient mods with insufficient tools.

While it may take time to develop the tools (if it's even possible at all within the vanilla environment?), the lack of manpower is an easy fix - just appoint more.

As I said, why haven't more been appointed?

As I said, why haven't more been appointed?

Because at the moment there's little point in bringing new moderators on board when there's very little available to them in the way of moderator tools. It takes a bit of figuring out, and trying out the tools when a poster first is appointed moderator.

I have a number of people in mind for moderators of my forum when the time comes. But right now is not a good time.

Admins and mods don't have much grounds for complaining about workload when there is a refusal to even consider taking on extra (free!) help.

I mean if it takes 10, 20 or 50 extra mods so that users get an on thread explanation for mod action or inaction it would go a long long way to dealing with the black box that is the reported posts function.

As I said: "It has been said a few times that we do not have the mod powers yet, which largely explains why many mods are not currently modding"

No point in appointing new mods if they are immediately p!ssed of due to lack of modding powers, and we may well see a return of many when the powers are improved

I can only speak for the forums I am in charge of. The moderator team in those forums are doing everything we possibly can right now. I'm haven't complained of work load. I've highlighted issues that need to be resolved. Reported Posts filtered, visible warnings, forum bans etc. When those issues are resolved I will be happy to add a few more moderators.

The ones that are here and active are working with what's available to them at the moment. I wouldn't like to be brought on as a new moderator right now. It would be very difficult. It's difficult for the seasoned ones.

Do the current moderators not have the ability to:

A) delete posts B) Post warnings on thread?

The only tools they seem to be missing is categorised reported posts, the ability to display an infraction, and the ability to forum ban. More eyes in the forums would deal with threads not being seen, and process A and B above could be applied. It would also cover the infraction visibility issue.

With the given mod toolset, it's fundamentally a manpower issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

As far as I know ( I'm not a mod), they used to have tools to spot people who were banned but created new accounts to get around that. I have my suspicions about a few " new faces" here and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Advertisement

They did. We had stronger tools at Admin level, but what we currently have at Admin level is in some ways not as much as Mods had on the old platform

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

You response pretty much sums up how bad things are.

Don't Envy anybody being a mod or a Admin at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've asked before why the policy is to delete posts that break rules. I've pointed out why it's not good practice. Mods/admins dont seem to want to listen on this.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

But over time that 2k would reduce because posters would learn more to break the rules less.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

From what I can see, if someone is being a twat in a thread and you report them and - after a bit - they're no longer a) being a twat or b) posting in that thread then I'd consider it job done by a mod somewhere.

I don't need the mod to point out in the thread that they were being a twat just cos I reported them.

And I say that as someone who has been banned from a thread. Although I don't think I was being a twat, I just stopped posting in that thread.

The vast, vast majority of posters never need to be told to interact in a civil manner. It comes easily to most. Equally it's usually the same posters who fail to follow very basic guidelines

Clearly a lot do need to be told though if you would have to do thousands of posts.

Deleting posts was not something mods did on a regular basis until 2 or 3 years ago.

Not sure why there is such a strong resistance to anyone who suggests an alternative.

Terry Pratchet

2k posts probably isn't manageable for one person, but it doesn't have to be just one person doing this.

Why not have 10, and share the burden.

We had the yellow and red cards until 6 months ago. And in-thread warnings remain a tool, but only really appropriate to indicate threadbans or warn against something that is involving more than one poster. I've issued a couple over the past day or two instructing posters to stop their bickering

If we had a way to make warnings more visible we would use it in the same way we used to with the cards. Equally is someone has said something abusive towards another user is it better to leave that abuse showing or delete it? I do not see why someone who has been abused on this site should need to see that abuse left in place

• Advertisement

FFS, you've been given the answer a dozen times or more by mods. Give it up. You're just wasting their time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement