Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Ireland is never going to move on. People just love this idea of all the misery.

Currently in Florida, nice to see what normality is like again. I haven't heard anyone mention COVID, no mask mandate, everyone just getting on with life. It's not being forced in to your brain on the radio or TV.

Current figures were 1548 cases yesterday in a population of 21 million. You have to wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Leo out following the agenda, gets his CNN interview out of it. He’s really fallen into line this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The post I was responding to said that pubs should "reopen in 3 weeks" and I followed on from that.

No shock though to see who jumped on the irrelevancy rather than respond to the actual point made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

You didn't give me any source, you just posted something which turned out to be the title of the current ECDC report. Which was not the image you've just posted. Do you understand the concept of links?

Or possibly the concept of reading? I haven't answered your question because it's totally unrelated to the topic.

No, that was not my original premise (which is still my current premise - you're the one moving the goalposts and blathering on about irrelevances).

You said that everyone should be aware the viruses can mutate since we regularly have new flu variants. I agreed with you, and pointed out how disturbing it was that the Tanaiste said that the Government weren't aware in summer last year that Covid could have variants. At all. (A statement I provided a link sourcing.)

Since then you've gone off on some bizarre twisted path deviating into rambling on about variants of concern, the ECDC, anything you can think of to try to excuse the government for claiming they didn't know the thing you yourself said everyone should know. No wonder you're such a supporter of them, you've a similar difficulty trying to keep track of all the contradictory nonsense you're spouting. Have you ever thought abut running for election?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

So Germany reportedly sending patients to hospitals abroad, they can't cope - this from a country with almost 70% total population vaccinated.

Is it time to admit the vaccines only barely dent the numbers ?

Looks like this winter will be as bad or worse than last...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

"Varadkar: Heartbroken we're back in this position" - eh, stop being a fuckin drama queen Leo. We reopened and cases are rising. Why didn't you put it in context that the case numbers are out of 5 MILLION? Wouldn't make a good headline for your appearance on CNN though would it you dramatic prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,872 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No shock ? I think you maybe confusing me with some other poster with which you have an issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just under 68% nationally, they have parts where it's a lot less than that, as low as 57%, and they are the ones badly affected now. We are nearly 10% above their national rate, so coping for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

How miserable that the sector is being forced to open earlier and solve a problem that has been forced upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Turn off the news and current affair shows I don't get why people continue to listen to this rubbish and then complain about it.

Or did you just want to let us know about the holiday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I gave you the source of that report. You were either too lazy to check it or you missed or ignored when variants of concern were identified by the WHO as shown in that ECDC report. The image I posted verifies that and is from the ECDC report I gave you the source off.

Your premise was that the government should have taken these variants into account in September 2020. I have already told you that I am no great fan of this government in many areas, but expecting them to take into account variants that were not even identified or vaccines that we didn`t know the efficacy of in September 2020 is just baseless kicking for the sake of it.

The fact that you got it wrong and a ECDC report does exist showing the dates on which these variants of concern were first identified by the WHO I find no excuse for your baseless assumptions and rudeness

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I do my best to ignore it but unfortunately it's present on every form of mainstream media and is heavily present in many social media mediums. You can't just switch it off.

It's my 5th holiday this year seeing as you are so interested 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Post edited by bokale on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Didn't Sinn Fein vote against the extension of the Covid Pass here ? They voted for it in NI last night. The wind clearly blowing a different direction up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

It's hard to think anything more totally against the spirit of Christianity than barring unvaccinated people from churches.

Are they going to tear up the Gospel of Luke and replace it with NHS leaflets?

Think you are a bit confused go on as many holidays as you like i certainly do.

Good for you, a whole two weeks just remember to tune out of the shows that are bothering you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theyre all snake oil sales persons :)

Sure McConkey said we`d have 100000 - 120000 DEATHS from covid last year - never mind cases and hes an "expert" epidemiologist.

I for one cant believe a word out of any of their mouths anymore whether thats a so called "expert" or a member of our elected government.

Theyre flopping around like a fish out of water and really havent a clue how to handle this latest surge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Firstly, I don’t fully buy the assertion that the government is desperate to avoid these measures and only brings them in when they feel it absolutely necessary. They have spent most of 2021 almost religiously avoiding lifting measures and pubs/restaurants were still operating under heavy restrictions even in warm weather and even when the vaccine rollout to the vulnerable was well advanced. So this argument that the government only imposes these measures with an eye on hospital capacity is simply not true — the measures are imposed on the basis of what is ultra cautious and ultra conservative — the abundance of caution as they call it, not the application of proportionality.

Secondly, this constant waving of the question “Are you OK with overwhelmed hospitals and people being left to die without treatment?” has become ever-more tiresome. That is because you are posing the question along what appears to be the government’s appreciation of the risk scenarios — that there are only two options: ultra cautiousness or all-out health care apocalypse. My argument is not end all restrictions, but to be braver in pushing up our tolerance of what we are willing to risk. We keep getting told about this Hospital apocalypse without anyone ever seeming able to describe how long this apparent worse case scenario would persist — are we talking a couple of weeks over the winter? A month? A year? And it is also posed as a situation we apparently simply could not retrieve if we started to approach the stage where it was abundantly clear (and not simply clear on worst case modelling) that it was going to transpire.

We were told that the UK had jumped the gun, that they were foolish, that their reopening policy would cost lives (and it has) — we were told that morally and ethically purer Irish approach of “slow and steady wins the race” would pay dividends and that abandoning caution would mean abandoning lives. And here we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

And antigen testing everywhere. A lot of very gullible people are thinking antigen will make a difference, it won't. The way it's being championed by some is rather silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Depends what pub you go to. My local wasn't checking anything last Saturday night. I was only inside when going to the bar/toilets anyway as the live music was outside.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How many deaths do we reckon these lockdowns have now caused?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

But antigen tests were also "snake oil" according to Philip Nolan - now theyre going to be the saviour of the country.

Only today he admitted that it wasnt his "wisest tweet" - We could have been using antigen tests 6 months ago to track and trace the viruses path but no we`re not using "snake oil" like the rest of the world!!!

6 months??

Nolan should be fired for a u turn on that policy. If I fucked up that badly Id be on the dole. That policy has absolutely cost lives - we dont know how many and probably wont until theres a tribunal about the handling of the pandemic.

So I must be interpreting this data incorrectly, I have heard that vaccinated people that catch covid - 90% will be kept out of hospital.

But wasn't the hospitilisation rate at the start of all this around 10-15% .. so lets say 85% would stay out of hospital - and that's without the vaccine.

So the vaccines have only offered a slightly better chance of getting a serious illness ?

I want to be wrong here, can someone explain it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The latest is 200,000 new cases minimum in December, that's an average of about 6,450 a day... Let's see how good his modelling is now...

Honestly if I had predicted 100-120k deaths last year I'd be keeping quiet right about now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Will your local pub be staying open later than midnight this weekend? If they break one law why not break more of them?

Yeah only 10% ... does that not show how Badly we are prepared even at 90%+ vaccinated ?

This basically means no matter how much people get vaccinated/boosters etc we will be here every winter ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Just think about it. 4000 cases a day based on 15% needing hospital is 600 admissions a day. Where seeing a fraction of that with vaccines, in and around the 1-2% (half of which are unvaccinated)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

One of my work mates was saying the government arent that bothered in theory how many people get covid there just looking out for each other. They gave a good example

I'm out having a pint and I get into a fight and get knocked out. The guards will have to be called followed by ambulance crew who will then bring me to the hospital. That's 6-10 public servants been used for such a small incident

Advertisement