Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 round 19: Brazil GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Lap before, he wasn't defending a move. Hardly "conclusive".

And Max will say, if he applied more lock he would have slide across. You can bet your bottom dollar that Max ran this scenario through his head, RB will have the playbook open for this IF it gets to that stage.

The important thing though is that he kept the angle of the wheel the same, he never opened the angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

what else could he do though giving the situation?

I know is gonna sound insane but maybe brake earlier at a distance where he actually had some chance of making the corner?

Hamilton says move on, I agree because it's done and it didn't cost anyone anything in the end. I'm sure he wouldn't be saying the same had the dirty air caused him more problems afterwards. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So anyway, we have steady regs for 7 years during which time Engineers have fine combed the regs and refined all aspects of design to the point when gains are fractions of 10th of a second generally. How is the sudden Mercedes performance explained?

It cannot be all down to new engine. It's just too much of a differential over McLaren for example.

Assuming it's trick rear wing and suspension, how is bottas race pace explained v Hamilton?

Bottas starts on pole, Hamilton 10th yet gets overtaken by Hamilton after a few laps.

In all my years watching f1, I've not known anything that smells so much as this.

Williams winning with Maldonado on Franks 70th Birthday was fairly dodgy, not forgetting the garage fire after but Mercedes turning up with such a speed differential so late in the development of this series of regs really is hard to explain. I'm thinking the 0.2mm oversize rear wing gap was a red herring.

• Advertisement

Mark Hughes, who writes for The Race (their podcast is great), said it was a mix of things.

Fresh engine, more aggressive map, had the front tires working well (RB struggled with this), track characteristics of the 1st and 3rd sector meant they could also use their trick suspension more effectively.

On that, the suspension works well at certain tracks over others. Not sure if Qatar will be a place for it, as well as Jeddah, they basically have to stiffen it so it won't stall in the corners, so they dial it in and out depending on the track. In Austin for example, they had to dial it off due to the first sector being so fast with the sweeping corners.

On the braking early part...it is racing, and for a championship at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

Iirc Norris essentially went off track to try overtake sainez off the start, he was nearly scraping the wall, thought it was foolish from norris considering how mad starts can be and that it's so soon into T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

I suppose on the max/hamilton turn 4 situation is wether or not you agree that a driver should just automatically yield or defend how they see fit if a driver is attacking their position, we saw the procession all race of people just (rightfully due to his instance pace) letting Hamilton through. I think Hamilton would have done the same if roles were reversed with what's on the line.

The protest from merc will get thrown out I'd imagine, and I expect max to race just as hard for the remaining 3 races so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It isn't that Max raced hard and closed the door on Hamilton - it is that Max missed the braking point, missed the corner and drove off the track forcing Hamilton to do the same. It wasn't a 'hard' defence of his position, it was poor driving or deliberately dangerous driving, and he should have been penalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If you were in his position you would have braked earlier and simply let Hamilton overtake you on the outside? The guy is fighting for a championship here. It was clearly deliberate but it wasn’t dangerous and I think that sort of stuff is to be expected to be honest.

And if Hamilton turned in like Max did in Britain?

The issue isn't so much maxs decision. But imo his decision was to at the very least take a big gamble that he could brake late and make the corner. Let's say he thought he could brake as late as he did and make the corner.

But he didn't make the corner, not even close, forced Hamilton off the track and should have been penalised.

Drivers are penalised all the time, unless you think the drivers did what they did deliberately then logically they are being punished for poor execution of a plan, where they hit someone or forced someone off the track or went off the track themselves and gained an advantage, because they didn't have the grip or brakes or space to do what they thought they did.

How can you look at the outcome of what max did, see the penalties that are meeted out regularly, and say there is no call for max to have been given a penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Was max supposed to keep driving straight and ignore the corner altogether at silverstone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Max was comfortably fully in front in Britain, took a wide line and left 2 car widths of space to the apex just to be safe, Hamilton was nowhere near close enough to attempt a genuine overtake but he ignored the apex, braked far too late and ploughed into Max from behind and put him in hospital.

The situation, speed, corner geometry, and positions of the cars were entirely different here - there was nothing for Lewis to "turn into" as he wasn't alongside the Red Bull at the point where Max went off. Verstappen was defending his position, not coming from behind. He was at an acute angle because he was defending the inside line - you're not allowed change line at this point so he was forced to turn in from that angle, he braked as late as Lewis and turned in as much as he possibly could without sliding off, which wasn't quite enough to fully make the corner. There was plenty of tarmac run off, Lewis also outbraked himself, and nothing came of it. Similar incidents happen all the time and never get penalised. It would be incredibly unusual for stewards to issue a penalty in a situation where there is no contact, nobody goes into the gravel or suffers, and the cars don't change position from where they started.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,228 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Then this site would go bananas with wild conspiracy theories about how Hamilton deliberately tried to MURDER Max, but I would take the approach outlined by the poster above. 2 blokes were fighting for the title and one shepherded the other off the track whixh is, strictly speaking, against the rules and it had absolutely no consequence. End of story.

basically what he did in Brazil, and expected Hamilton to do, apparently. and he could have taken a wider line at Silverstone and remained on the track - an option he didn't give hamilton in Brazil.

What corner are you talking about, cause it ain't brazil.

Braked as late as Lewis... no, he braked significantly later than lewis despite trying to take a more accute corner.

turned in as much as he possibly could - apart from not having steering locked left, sure.

without sliding off - he went miles off the track.

wasn't quite enough to fully make the corner - he came nowhere close to making the corner, he was miles off doing so.

Lewis also outbraked himself - really? up to the point lewis had to actively turn right because Max was about to smash him he looked like he was going to make that corner very easily, same has he had done on all the other overtakes in the same spot.

one race, three drivers penalised for forcing the car on the outside off the track, two instances being the car attempting the overtake being hte one forced wide.. INCREDIBLY UNUSUAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hamilton had plenty of space at silverstone, max didn't do anything wrong there. Trying to pin that on Max is total BS

as much BS as saying Max did nothing wrong here.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And Hamilton gave Max so much space in Brazil that they both ended up two-to-three car-lengths off the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’m seeing a few videos appearing online which appears to show steering wheel movement suspiciously similar to DAS on Hamiltons car in Brazil?!? I don’t know how to post a video but there are a few doing the rounds on Reddit and I’m sure Twitter also…. Has anyone else seen or heard or debunked this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Yeah I’d say that’s the case, my first thought is DAS is something so visible that no one would be that stupid to put it in the car, not least Mercedes’!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I thought he shoved Perez into a gravel trap? Could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Yes, it was the same thing. Perez and Hamilton both had to leave track to avoid collision.

Ricciardo took Bottas out of it in Mexico and got no penalty either. The inconsistency is the biggest problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

You have the laugh at the lads with the mental gymnastics to try and defend Verstappen on Sunday. He knew exactly what he was doing and should have received a penalty. I don't think they will retrospectively apply it now but they probably should.

First lap/first corner incidents are way more likely to be treated as racing incidents to be fair - I think it would have been more surprising if DR had been pinned for it - especially when (imo) Bottas broke harder and earlier than you'd expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭McFly85

All we can really say is that he attempted a late break manoeuvre which ended up forcing him and Hamilton wide. Could have received a penalty but didn’t, and the new video hasn’t really shown intent for anything else, so I would be shocked to see a penalty retroactively applied - especially because Bottas finished less than 4 seconds behind him.

RB would rightly be angry if those points were taken away because had the penalty been applied at the time Max could have tried to stay 5 seconds ahead of Bottas.

Advertisement