Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Any links to them calling him a white supremacist?

What media? The NY Post? Fox News? OAN? Very worrying to see people get more upset at someone being accused of being a White Supremacist rather than the likelihood of them being one.

after all if you arent with BLM you are against them. And if you are against them you are a nazi/white supremacist.

This nonsense above are your words by the way unless you can give me a link that states this is any way a widely accepted view. More strawman building.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

BREAKING: The judge dismissed a weapons charge against Kyle Rittenhouse, the second charge he has dismissed.

Rittenhouse was charged for possessing a dangerous weapon as a minor, for bringing an AR-style weapon to protests when he was 17 and using it to kill 2 people.

He gonna walk free!

Balls!

You can't claim 93% of protests are peaceful when you have BLM leaders like Hawk Newsome in New York threatening "If they think they are going back to the old ways of policing then we’re going to take to the streets again. There will be riots. There will be fire, and there will be bloodshed.” if Mayor-elect Eric Adams follows through with his promise to bring back plain clothes anti-crime cops to battle New York’s surge in violent crimes.

Asked again a week later whether Newsome would condemn "riots and the burning down of buildings"

“No. What I’ll say is, I understand when a police officer unjustifiably kills someone, why people lash out. I understand that completely,” Newsome said, adding: “I’m not going to condemn, nor am I going to condone it.”

He knows what he's threatening. He's threatening a 93% peaceful protest. You wouldn't want your house or family anywhere near that 93% peaceful protest, would you?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That's some magical wordplay you have there.

93 percent of all protests were peaceful and passed off without incident, that is a fact and I can absolutely claim it to be fact.

In fact, I've just looked again and I was incorrect, it was actually 94 percent of BLM demonstrations were peaceful and I can claim that because it's a fact:

https://acleddata.com/2021/05/25/a-year-of-racial-justice-protests-key-trends-in-demonstrations-supporting-the-blm-movement/

You are posting as if all protests were 93 percent peaceful, which is not what I said.

You can ramble on about what Hawk Newsome said all you want but its clear that the overwhelming majority of demonstrators do not buy into the idea of violence and quotes from one person don't change that.

So, when tape recordings are played of cops calling black people the N word? Or Video footage of them beating handcuffed suspects etc, you deduce that all police forces must be reformed no?

Because that's the logic you've just applied here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That's great and all, but the remaining percentages held cities hostage all summer and did billions of dollars worth of damage. Mostly to poor communities it should said. So it doesn't much matter how peaceful the rest were when that's the cost at the end of the day.

That's great and all, but the remaining percentages held cities hostage all summer

Wrong.

and did billions of dollars worth of damage.

Wrong again.

The city I live in had frequent protests all last summer and the only trouble that was at any of them was on arose out of cops applying a curfew in the area of the protest on a couple of occasions and then corralling people in to an area and accusing them of breaking it.

P.S. I also linked earlier to a story of NY paying over 300M in damages arising out of police misbehaviour. That's one city, one year, so if your concern is mostly financial, maybe you should start there.

The judge, refused to let the prosecutors scroll in to an image on an Ipad because apparently when you do that, the Apple software adds items it thinks should be there, he refused to allow the victims to be referred to as such saying it was down to the jury to decide if any victims existed, he allowed Rittenhouse to select the 12 jurors (through lottery) who would deliberate on his guilt or innocence, dismissed a number of charges (including what seemed to be the most cut and dried one as you pointed out), and had the trial interrupted with his phone playing the same music as the campaign music for a former President who, when in office, begged State Governors to use violence on BLM protestors.

Rittenhouse is probably going to walk free and in to the conservative talk show circuit and black people are going to have another example of the society in which they live treats them very differently in many ways. There isn't a way in hell that a 17 year old from out of state, using a gun they don't own, could kill two protestors, if it was at, say a 2A march, and use the argument that they were there to provide medical training, which they were neither trained or hired to provide, and walk away as if they were a hero.

That last paragraph is absolute horseshit.

Rittenhouse walking free (which I doubt will happen) is in no way whatsoever indicative of a disparity between treatment of black people and white people.

That's a shockingly bad take and extremely dishonest.

Wow, that struck a nerve. You really telling me you think a 17 year old black guy from Chicago could have gone to the say Michigan which saw armed protestors enter the Capitol last year and killed 2 people (even if they attacked him) while claiming they were there to provide medical assistance and we'd be seeing the judge try to protect the defendant in that case?

I'd be very surprised if you believed that.

FFS, Tamir Rice was a 12 year old playing with a replica gun and the police arrived and opened up on him in seconds, killing him. Rittenhouse walked towards police after the shootings with his hands in the air and they just drove past him and let him go home. You really think black people aren't going to look at this case, if Rittenhouse walks, and imagine that they would have been treated differently?

• Advertisement

Apples and Oranges and you know it.

The fact that a white guy, shooting three white guys who attacked him (arguably in self defence) is, in your mind, a reason for black people to see racism is ludicrous.

Also your claim that the judge is somehow protecting Kyle Rittenhouse is ignorant or a full blown lie.

And yes, it does strike a nerve. It's that type of race baiting shite that is further polarising people and I am dead against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭bewareofthedog

It's like a sickness... truth doesn't matter anymore.

Kenosha rioted because a man threatened to kidnap a child, resisted arrest, fought the police then grabbed a knife from his car. Kamala Harris calls him a hero. The Rittenhouse trial MSNBC praise the victims like they were model citizens ( A baby rapist ffs ), Biden calls Rittenhouse a white supremacist without evidence.

It's disgusting stuff but this is what we're dealing with, this movement as a whole is full of very dishonest people with low morals.

You mention that one white guy shot three white guys, like that means race isn't in the conversation at all, and you talk about race baiting? You think race isn't or can't be an issue because it was white people who were killed? Get real.

At least you deleted the bit about denying the judge is protecting Rittenhouse.

I didn't delete it.

And yes, Kyle Rittenhouse's actions that night, the actions he is on trial for, have nothing to do with racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

He's white Dunne, that seems to be enough evidence for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I didn't say they did. I still maintain that enough has gone on around the case and its facts that if Rittenhouse walks that Black people will be entitled to feel that it was different for him than it has been for many in their community.

And I'd say you are absolutely wrong.` There is nothing about the Rittenhouse case which would give anyone reason to feel that racism is an issue when it comes to the ruling.

It's ridiculous.

Here's the difference between the left and the right in America.

If he gets acquitted all hell will break loose, there will be rioting and looting for a couple of days (depending on how involved the National Guard get in calming the situation down).

If he is found guilty there will be a lot of grumbling but no violence. It will be like the OJ verdict. People will seethe quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

The Rittenhouse case has to be judged on the merits of that case, and not on how black people were/are treated by the police.

The Rittenhouse case has fcukall to do with Black people. Absolutely fcukall. It has to do with whether or not he acted in self-defence.

• Advertisement

Again, city police forces across the country have paid out more to settle claims against the police for their activities, so, if money is your concern, you should probably look in that direction.

No one suggested the case shouldn't be judged on its own merits.

That doesn't mean that this case cannot be considered with respect to several other cases in the past, or those that will come in the future.

I was just reading that report from ACLED and I came across a statistic that 9% of protests associated with BLM were met with police interaction. They contrasted this with only 2% of pro police protests requiring police interaction and said this was 'underlines the discrepancies'; but they are assuming both groups were equally violent! It's not reasonable that both groups should be the exact same level of violent, especially considering the slogans that BLM activists were heard saying, the BLM groups could easily have been 7% more violent for many reasons.

They also say that BLM protestors were 8x more likely to encounter 'car rammings' and that "The vast majority — 73% — of all BLM-related demonstrations that faced car-ramming attacks were peaceful". They fail to even mention how the BLM movements were standing in the middle of the road trying to prevent traffic from going by! You probably wouldn't see a pro-police demonstration doing the same, for obvious reasons.

I remember watching some of those videos, of people fearful of their lives, surrounded by angry BLM rioters drumming and banging on their windows that groups such as ACLED would happily describe as peaceful. Shame on them for their propaganda. It was far from peaceful being surrounded in your own car by violent, aggressive people. I wouldn't blame some of the people that put their foot down and trying to escape that situation; a thing of nightmares. Of course any of these drivers with malicious intent should be prosecuted fully, but as this expert states of the 104 times people were hit by cars(96 civilian and 8 by police) only 43 cases he coded as having malicious intent. There's a majority that had absolutely no malicious intent and were fearful for their lives. What is the solution? If BLM stayed off the road this couldn't happen. Couldn't! Yet there is no mention of this in most of the reports about the car rammings. They always focus on the evil bastards trying to ram their vehicles through. No one wants to give those evil bastards an opportunity to hurt people, why can't activists just stay off roads? Just because the majority of carrammings had no malicious intent, this shouldn't cover for the ones that did. Kind of like that argument you're making with 'majority peaceful protest'. How about majority not malicious car rammings? Does that matter?

I remember watching a video from a former British spy during the troubles. He was saying how there was only ever a small percentage of the IRA who actually plant the bombs. They would have been unable to do this, he said, without large groups of people around them that although wouldn't actually plant bombs themselves, would happily aid and lie for those that did. Would not the same thing apply to BLM? If there wasn't the 93% peaceful protest then the 7% would never have been able to get away with such destruction and loss of life.

I just reminded myself there of some of the worst(imo) slogans BLM were heard shouting during the protests:

"A riot is the language of the unheard"

"murder is not an accident"

"we're not trying to start a race war, we're trying to end one"

"If you are not anti-racist, you are complicit"

"shut it down"

"Abolish the police"

What's so wrong about them? They're not helpful and they incite violence. Murder has a specific meaning. It doesn't apply to everyone that dies. If BLM as a movement called out this sort of thing, or the threats from leaders like Hawk Newsome then it would be a peaceful movement, but they don't. They silently condone it.

I was just reading that report from ACLED and I came across a statistic that 9% of protests associated with BLM were met with police interaction. They contrasted this with only 2% of pro police protests requiring police interaction and said this was 'underlines the discrepancies'; but they are assuming both groups were equally violent! It's not reasonable that both groups should be the exact same level of violent, especially considering the slogans that BLM activists were heard saying, the BLM groups could easily have been 7% more violent for many reasons

You must have missed Jan 6th, the signs, the slogans, the lack of police preparedness.

Aside from that, Police in NY arrested people for protesting on a city bridge last year, citing disruption to traffic. This year, the same NY police shut down that same bridge with a protest to protest against vaccine mandates. How many people do you think were arrested this time round?

The premise of your post is based on police and governing officials viewing all protests entirely objectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They seem to be moving up the value chain with the reparations.

What I find strange is that it's the same cities time and time again - they are all run by the Democrats.

Something is a miss.

You think crime only exists in Blue states?

How about Kentucky

JEFFERSONTOWN, Ky. (WAVE) - Six people are facing charges of engaging in organized crime in connection after the seizure of hundreds of catalytic converters.

In a months-long investigation, Jeffersontown detectives tracked catalytic converter thieves as they sold the stolen goods to two South Louisville homes. Searching the homes and several storage units Thursday morning, police seized a van loaded with hundreds of the exhaust parts.

How about Texas

Police investigating deadly robbery outside Dallas Costco

How about Indiana

INDIANAPOLIS — Criminal charges were filed this week against an employee at UPS accused of stealing over $100,000 in jewelry and other valuable metals.

How about Florida

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (WSVN) - Fort Lauderdale Police are searching for three suspected serial thieves who, they said, worked together to steal $100,000 in merchandise.

Many of the most uneducated, federal welfare dependent, voting restricted, class divisive cities/states are all Republican to their core.

But you want to ignore that and do Fox News job for them so you can have a dig at the legacy black communities live under? Why is that?

Post edited by Tell me how on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

That last paragraph is just pure boll!x. For so many reasons. Its not even worth getting into. You are putting forward bad faith arguments pure and simple. Ridiculous.

Truth most definitely hurts apparently. Tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Rittenhouse is probably going to walk free and in to the conservative talk show circuit and black people are going to have another example of the society in which they live treats them very differently in many ways. There isn't a way in hell that a 17 year old from out of state, using a gun they don't own, could kill two protestors, if it was at, say a 2A march, and use the argument that they were there to provide medical training, which they were neither trained or hired to provide, and walk away as if they were a hero.

The above paragraph is just your view of things......it's not necessarily the truth.

• Advertisement

That makes something true? Something that can be measured? Or physically touched?

Or if there is consistent evidence of a particular trend in how things are viewed, experienced, does that not become a truth in itself?

Aside from the video above, are you telling me, that you think that if a Black person did what Rittenhouse did say, last year in Michigan when the following pictures were taken as protestors stormed the Michigan state capitol that it would have ended the same way?

Post edited by Tell me how on

Advertisement