Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

They've probably just stated they'd review it in 3 weeks time in line with when the government is going to review its guidance but in reality that WFH guidance is staying at this level until at least January. It may get stronger but not weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Not a peep in my place about returning to full time wfh 👩‍🏭

nothing has changed in our place. Attendance is voluntary (and given that so few have taken it up, those that want it can come in very day).

We are not changing that approach and, though the ‘advice’ is to stay home, the office will remain open for those that want to be there (generally those whose home situation is not idea). I’ll likely continue to drop in a day or two a week

Same here, radio silence today. Still proceeding as we have done; 3 days per week on rotating basis, unless an email goes around but the new guidance is kicking in at midnight so if they haven't emailed already then I don't think they'll be following it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

We got the mail today, only business critical presence to be in the office. Happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I'm not seriously suggesting what follows, but the above wording reminded me of it. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I work in the funds industry. Our employer has said we're still to come in to the office every other day because "we provide an essential service and respect the Work Safety Protocol".

Can someone point me towards any advice or legislation on this "essential service" part?

To clarify, office attendance is NOT essential and there is nothing I can do in the office that I can't do at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Have a look on gov.ie. Definitions can usually be found there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just because a service is essential does not mean that you need to be in the office. Once the work can be done effectively at home. We also are considered an essential service and have yet to return to the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

• Advertisement

Yeah the financial sector didn't cover itself in glory with regards to WFH and staff safety at any point during covid. At least their consistent I guess

My Department (civil service) was working on a "phased and cautious" basis - plan was return to work one day a week from September with a view to increase to two/three days a week from 22nd Oct. After the advice on 22nd Oct they kept to one day a week. Got the email last night that following this week's advice we are all back to full time wfh until further notice, but most likely February.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I work in the fund industry as well and, as I've stated above, our employer has followed govt recommendations since the beginning. they're eager to bring us back, believe me, the owners of our company are from continental europe and the mentality is far from modern with regards to allowing flexibility to employees. but local management, Irish CEO and Head of HR, dont want to take the responsibility of forcing people to commute in, share office space and bring whatever you may or may not catch back at home and the local communities. Tbh, from a productivity perspective they've all agreed that it has increased over the last 18 months so the idea of bringing us in for 3 days a week was to 'foster team work, help new recruits integrate, maintain company spirit'. part of that I can understand but part of that is just that the mother company wants the same standards that apply in other continental locations (where there is a culture that if you dont see your employees at the desk it means they're in their pajamas watching netflix) apply everywhere

The wording is now whether it is "necessary" to attend the office - the definition of "essential service" is redundant. Therefore, to me the question of necessity is answered where an employee ever did 100% wfh as clearly anyone who can do 100% wfh does not need to go into the office.

In my view, employers in funds are likely run by men in their late 40s/50s who can't let go of the office, who struggle to build relationships on Teams/Zoom and who think physical presence is performance. It's a shame but it won't stay like that forever once these dinosaurs are put out to pasture.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

At my work, apart from business critical work (and a manager sign off need on that) it has switched to WFH. There will be a 1 month notification period should this change, as per HR email.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

100% wfh here too but we can use office if we wish. Given my commute is mega and I wouldn’t be working there if wfh wasnt a thing - I won’t be heading in.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Can't see the 'WFH unless absolutely necessary' restriction going in mid February. February is the coldest month of the year, with indoor activities at a peak. It is also normally the busiest month of the year for hospitals.

I bet that the lifting of 'WFH unless absolutely necessary' restriction and yet another attempt of return to office will be linked to the completion of the booster program. It is becoming clearer that the vaccine is a 3 dose regime and efficacy is more than restored with the third dose. I bet that staff will only feel comfortable returning to indoor offices (2 weeks) after they have their third dose. Only 9% have 3 doses right now, I suspect it will be April or May before the booster program completes and return to office attempts start all over again.

Post edited by Szero on

Mine has updated us to say they are NOT implementing the guidelines and hybrid to continue, half in half home, 5 days in 5 days home 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I'm hoping the efforts to open the office where I work will continue, I doubt they will but I was starting to enjoy the couple of days in.

Felt less stressed, confined and was just as productive.... Poxy COVID.

That's appalling.

I would be questioning it. Say the government are clearly telling people to work from home unless absolutely necessary, and you don't feel comfortable going against that advice with such high case numbers. All they can do is say no, but nothing will change if staff don't push back.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

And delighted to see my company have decided to stick with the hybrid model, work as often, or not as you like in the office... This supports the team that have been working in the background getting the place ready for people to attend.

Two days a week continues for me!!

It's not worth it - there long enough to know if say black they'll say white!

It wouldn't surprise me if the govt end up having to mandate WFH in a few weeks. There seems to be a wide range of interpretations of "unless absolutely necessary."

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I'm a man in my mid-40s and most of my front office team in fund management are men in their 40s/early 50s... 99% of us prefer to work from home. the only exception are ppl that dont have the space/connectivity/peace[children] to work productively.

the fact of the matter is, i went in to the office for a total of 6 days in October and did not have a single face to face meeting. everything is done on teams/zoom/skype anyway.... we're a multi-location company and always had VC facilities on even when some of us met physically in a meeting room for the benefit of colleagues in other countries. now, since you cant be in a meeting room in more than 2 ppl, you end up doing all meetings from your desk, camera and headphones on. so what's the point? yes, you do have the occasional face to face interaction in the hallway... yes, you'll have a coffee/lunch with a collegue, maybe somebody you dont meet with regularly and that may bring some professional or personal value but for the most part, you're sitting in front of your PC with your headphones on just like you would at home. but at the cost of 1hr of commute a day (and I have a relatively easy one)... 5hours a week, 20 hours a month... that's half a day of productivity lost just there. and then time wasted getting your lunch given the reduced local options, longer queues, etc.

i've heard that stereotype before of the 'late 40s/50s who cant let go of the office'... in my field, that's not reality. most of us have massively gained in terms of productivity and quality of life. i'm not necessarily advocating for 100% WFH permanently but I think pp should be given the flexibility to decide when to go in, not a mandatory x days a week

just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

It's funny how offices are implemeting social distances in offices but then a group of people go on lunch together.

Yup, or my personal favourite....2 or more will do a zoom call with someone outside the company and do it in different rooms so it looks good in the call but then when it's over, all go into the one office to discuss the meeting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Advertisement

Advertisement