Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I see Blanch is finally getting the chargers installed. We are in the 6th week since it went offline. In the meantime chargers on the Northside went nuclear. The one in Dublin 17 has a utilization of 13h per day which is the highest I ever seen. Thursday afternoon it was constantly used in the all 4 weeks ecars-stats is looking across. Good thing didn't break down.

The airport one has "only" 12h15min per day utilization, the only time when not in use Tuesday @ 3:00 am.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Clonshaugh (I know I've banged on and on about it), but it's a fcuking ideal spot for a hub... Any Hub!! Even one of those Tier 2 hubs that we've yet to see!! 2 of those new units that just went into Mayfield.. 4 plugs per unit with 4 dedicated parking spots..

It tick's all the boxes. M1, M50, Airport, Port Tunnel, City. The vast vast majority of traffic heading to/from the Airport, Port (& even the City) go past that junction, or go within 5 minutes of it... Theres loads os space there, 2 big hotels there, and 2 minutes from the M1/M50 Interchange.... eCars are already onsite!!!!

Just fcuking do it!! Someone do it!!!!!!

If I was the Easygo guy, I'd be eyeing up a location like that, for a big fcuk off hub...... because it seems eCars couldn't be arsed....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

@AndyBoBandy I have to agree, it's an ideal site for a hub and it's not like the land is expensive since it's right under the flight path

To add insult to injury, Circle K recently put in a CNG pump for the trucks there

Gee thanks guys, couldn't have thought of adding some more EV charging while you were there??? 🙄

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

and I say all that knowing that I'll never have to stop there for a charge, unless it was an emergency fast charge, as I live 20km from it.

It's just so blatantly obvious though that it would be a perfect location...

Anyone doing an Airport collection or drop off from 100+km away.... perfect spot for a little top up while waiting...

Anyone just off the boat from Holyhead or France (and want faster than 50kW).. perfect spot for the top up to get them home...

Anyone visiting Dublin from anywhere in the Northern half of the country.... perfect spot for the top up on the way into the city, and on the way back out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Managed a charge yesterday at new ESB CP Downpatrick, after a bit of faffing, previous CP never really worked in 5 years,and Ballinahinch has a hole in the ground this last 6 years ,being so badly vandalised they never replaced it. It's a long sad story over 8 years,but last time I asked some stats thread bloke for records he accused me of ranting,so I shut up.

13 amp socket in lampposts would do me.

• Advertisement

Isn't ranting what this site is for? Or is that just the current affairs category? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If you want to charge relatively quickly in Dublin this evening that is what is available inside the M50. This is from the company that have been given the responsibility of the main charging network in Ireland.

Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence.

The Templeville appears in use but if you drill down it is actually free right now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't recall the NTA or the Dublin City Councils putting out a tender for a build and operate of any charging hubs in the Dublin area. Perhaps if the government/local government took more of an interest we would be more like Coventry. We seem to always blame the suppliers here instead of laying the blame at the politicians who are more interested in fixing potholes than actually driving any change.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We use that quite a bit, it's a very busy spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's ridiculously busy. I live less than a kilometre from it so it's my "local" petrol station. Every single day on my way home from work there will be a car there. 2 days this week had taxi's charging there. I stopped there this morning at 6.50 a.m for a coffee and a leaf was charging.

It's the only 50kw charger for miles so it will always be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

To be fair I've been spreading the blame around evenly for years 😂

Personally I don't expect much from Ecars, it's obviously a business that ESB has only a passing interest in and their performance to date reflects that

I know the government wants to be hands off and let market demand drive the network rollout. I can understand since they've a long history of screwing stuff up, however it's been shown in other countries that rolling out a high quality network is key to pushing EV adoption

There's a point where the network becomes self sustaining, if you look at videos from Norway they seem to be at that point where the network expansion would likely continue even if government support was withdrawn. There's enough EV sales there now to keep a constant demand for the chargers

I was saying the map is wrong. Even though on the map Templeville was blue if you clicked on it it was free. As it is now the opposite. It is green now (09:35) but someone is charging since 09:18. Noticed since last week. It is not isolated to just one charger as well.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Is the map still blue when you refresh? The map overview doesn't auto refresh, so if you open the map now, and then check specific units after a period of time, their actual status might have changed.

I have closed the app. Restarted the phone. Even on windows in browser is like that. Map shows in use when is not.

and the opposite

eCars working on a fix....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anna has taken a turn for the worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I’ve noticed the same when using the app recently. It was fine a few weeks ago.

Take a note the exact times. I'll see what my data says the state of the site and plug was.

• Advertisement

Right now 19:45 Templeville, Park Pointe and Bray are blue on the map but green if you open the chargers

Airport is green but someone is charging since 19:07

Naas green on map charging started 19:06

Carlow Cashel Clonmel Fermoy blue19:51. Free

So it is not isolated at all

Seems to only happen when filters are active.

In other news... I think my query on my server was a bit heavy. CPU is at 100% and the site isn't responding. Typical Friday

Without filters a triple will mostly be green as it needs both the DC and AC to be occupied to show blue.

Even so I took out the filters and

This should be green on the map but it is blue.

This is blue on the map but it is unoccupied.

Just spotted that the new unit is installed at Blanchardstown. It's one of the Delta HPC units, I was expecting a 50kW so that's a nice bonus

Fences are still up unfortunately, hopefully the unit gets commissioned soon

And gray? Charger greyed out but someone is charging there for the last 50 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I'm guessing the one college grad they had in ESB who knew a bit about app development got a better job

• Advertisement

Annoying. I must check my code. I think to cut down my api calls I was using the map overview (filtered by socket type) to check if a unit was available or not. If it was in use, I'd check the unit specifically to get it's charge start time. Given what you're seeing this would screw my metrics, though I think when the hubs started being more mainstream I just started querying every unit individually, so it should be ok.

Advertisement