Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Saw this on StickyBottle...

Backstory: A trucker has been sanctioned with a driving ban for a head-one near miss with a cyclist – who just happened to be an off-duty pro-cycling-camera police officer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

three close passes today on the roads of NCD. all offaly reg too?

i've been close passed by one of the motorists before too, driving a large (what i think is) mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Arsehole this morning in Harold’s cords decided she wanted to pull in at last minute to an on street parking spot. Had to go with her into the stop and onto the footpath.

Was going to stop and ask why she did it but sure wasting me time and trying to watch my blood pressure. I’ll probably be mentioned on Joe Duffy tomorrow for cycling on the footpad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

2 yellow regs with the close passes up here.

Always good for them

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

(Not quite a near miss but...) Went out last night to collect my laptop from the office. Heading back towards home, I stopped at a red light (on the Ballyowen Road in Lucan). A bus pulled up beside me. When the light went green, the driver did this...

• Advertisement

Driving like that would lead me to moving at a similar speed to these guys in front of that bus for about 5 mins

Dick move? Probably, but maybe would cause the driver to think twice the next time they are presented with a similar situation

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Happened to me in Ranelagh once (driver passed me and immediately pulled into the parking spot I was just about to pass. When I asked the driver why he didn't wait for me to pass the parking spot he said "I couldn't stop, there were cars behind me".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Taxi ran a red in front of my son at the school traffic lights, needless to say no cops were called but I was glad he didn't get out of his car. My son took great joy in relaying the story to my partner including all the words used later that day. He did clarify that i was in the right before repeating all of the words again.

Then yesterday on the way home from the CI AGM, waiting at a red light when a Land Rover discovery just blasted through as a mother and 4yo were crossing, she did not stop but thankfully the mum pushed them both out of the way. Gonna call into the cop shop tonight with the footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

What was she doing in Harold’s cords is what I want to know!! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That bus stop is so close to the junction it makes zero sense to even try that move. And the light up ahead is 99% likely to be red too so he was never getting anywhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Today, yesterday, and a few days ago I involuntarily found myself yelling “Aaaagggghhhhh!!!” at the top of my lungs as a car passed me with what felt like a couple of inches to spare on Dublin roads (Kill Avenue both directions and DeansgrangeRoad). Then (voluntarily) shouted with less force at the drivers to let them know they got too close as I caught up with them in traffic, just in case they didn’t hear me earlier – think one guy might have as he pulled in to the side of the (already congested Deansgrange) road at an odd angle before I passed by. I don’t know – I suppose it’s possible I’m becoming a too-sensitive triggered snowflake, or maybe the awfulness is real. Tired of being hoarse 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Late indication and turn.

Later I was in the cycle lane on Roebuck road at the Clonskeagh Road Junction planning to turn right , a Kilsaran cement truck , no indicators, appears to be turning right , but was getting a better angle for a left kook , luckily I stopped in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Surely the cyclist has some fault there for undertaking the van??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

They're not really under taking just progressing that said I've been in that position numerous times and probably I wouldn't have continued on the inside of the van until we both passed the junction but that's a learned behavior from being cutup too often. The driver definitely left it way to late to signal which would have helped the cyclist read the situation but he did see her at the last minute but not in his mirror I suspect it was because she drew along side the passenger window so that was "luck" I would say the van is largely at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Driver should be checking their mirrors better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

She started overtaking on the left before driver started indicating, so perfectly legal manoeuvre. Onus is on the driver to signal in time and check the path is clear before progressing. Hard to check your blind spot in a van like that I'd say, but that doesn't remove the responsibility from the driver.

An experienced cyclist would be cautious about being on the inside of a vehicle coming to a left turn, but that doesn't make it the cyclist's fault.

She was undertaking. Similar to how the video taker was undertaking the Citroen just before. That car seemed to come pretty close too. Yes driver should be checking mirrors but no-one should be undertaking.

Put it like this - if she was riding a motorbike and did the same thing - who would have been wrong?

If ever I am in traffic and I need to pass slower cars I generally overtake on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

You need to update yourself on the rules of the road - cyclists are explicitly allowed to overtake other vehicles on the left, except in certain conditions, none of which were present here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I can't believe people say these things after watching a clip like that.

• Advertisement

Believe it. But I don't want to get into an internet argument.

Hands up - I actually didn't know it was legal to undertake - however I wouldn't do it unless at slow speed and the cars were stopped. It never feels safe.

As mentioned above - a bit of experience on her part would have helped - coming up to a junction like that a left turning car is always going to be a risk.

Finally if you stop the video at 11 secs you can see that the indicator was on before she actually started passing the van. Also consider that the side repeater indicators on the van should also have been in her vision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this appears to be the point at which the driver starts to indicate; hard to be certain but i'd guess that her front wheel was not far off level with the bumper of the van. that would very much have been in her peripheral vision from what i would suspect.

regarding your comment about being at slow speed; that's not some club cyclist who's able to blast around at 35km/h, that was at slow speed, when a commuting cyclist is clearly going faster than motorised traffic.

the cyclist in the video (not the cyclist recording the video) appears to cover 120m in 20s, which is 21.5km/h; and the motorised traffic is clearly moving more slowly than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It's slow speed and the van needs to look in mirror.

Mirror, signal, maneuver.

BUT not a hope I'd be going up the inside of a vans blindspot with his indicator on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

H

Late indication and turn without checking mirrors first , even if the cyclist had not started the overtake , you can't just indicate and turn .

someone with better roadcraft might have behaved differently. but that's not the same as the cyclist being in the wrong; if you were not to cycle till you'd developed spidey sense roadcraft, you'd never get on a bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

To clarify. That's not an undertake. That's overtake. Legally different things

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I frequently drive a much bigger van than that with bigger blindspots and I'd be very cautious taking a left like that in an urban scenario (or any scenario), I'd be checking my mirrors 200 metres before the turn to see if there were any cyclists overtaking. I'd be aware of cyclists approaching even if I wasn't turning.

Analysing the video, pausing it and taking it out of realtime isn't realistic. I'd love to pause life, get out of my van, stop the bike in mid cycle before an incident, walk around, time indicators, rewind, fast forward and use slow mo hindsight to apportion blame... but that's impossible. Things happen quickly.

It was a very late indicator, 2 seconds max from indicator on at 11 seconds to the turn attempt and only saw her when they slowed for the turn and she got in line with the passenger window. Zero mirrors checked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

It's not even about checking his mirrors before the turn. Any half-decently observant driver knowing they are going to be turning left soon would have clocked the ongoing presence of a cyclist approaching on the left from about 6 secs onwards (just after she passed the car behind), and known to hold back for a second or two until she had gotten safely past.

Judging by some of the comments here we really hold drivers to some sh*te standard of driving these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Indicating is a signal of intent, not a right of way.

Advertisement