Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,554 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hmm. Another epidemiologist joins the thread. Please define too often, show how you know that, and do tell us how you're privy to the HSE's plans in the events you envision. And why would the CDC recommend it?

The head of the vaccine section of the CDC resigned over it..

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ExoPolitic

My evidence is that we are already on record, eight variations of the virus. That's a pretty easy conclusion to come to...

• Advertisement

Got a more legitimate source as to the reasons? Anything that includes "tyrannical Biden administration" isn't publishing news, it's an opinion piece.

Yes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Yeah because the initial two doses were such a great success , i can't wait to get another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I know, it's almost comical seeing them run around like headless chickens announcing things everyday almost at this stage.

NIAC now recommending boosters after 3 months for J&J recipients? That's a hard no from me, it doesn't matter how many months. I'll stick to the data that guides my own risk status, especially if they can't even promise mroe than 3 months efficacy with the vaccine. Who would trust a booster campaign? Only the gullible and ignorant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That is your choice. But know this, what you call 'No Covid Cert segregation' is a lifestyle choice you are making and we too have made lifestyle choices and we will not allow you to impost your choices on us. We are not interested in your arguments or your facts, they will not chance us, just as you will not be changed by our conclusions. Pretty soon you are going to have to start living the choice, do not come whining to us about a decision you made of your own free will. If you are not willing to do to do what we believe is the maximum effort to help protect our families and communities, then we have no interest in having to interact with you, it really is the blunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I will take the booster if offered. Nothing to lose really and I have surgery on the Ticker coming up so the more protection (hopefully) I have before entering the germ ridden hospital the better. I feel like a fekkin pincushion though.... double vax, the flu jab, the pneumococcal next week and hopefully a booster before yer man the surgeon has his scalpel sharpened.

I don't stress over it, just stick my arm out now, it takes too much energy to analyse parse and dissect everything, so I'll just take it like many others have decided to do.

You are not being force to take a vaccine, but you will not force you decisions us. This is it plain, simple and blunt, you can also expect as time goes by this message will be delivered in an even blunter manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm not forcing a decision on anyone. If you want to take it, go ahead. And yes, saying to people you can't do certain things unless they get vaccinated is forcing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

You don't speak for all vaccinated people, many vaccinated people oppose the certs, there's no clear 'us' and 'them' demarcated purely in terms of vaccination status.

The certs were supposed to be short-term temporary and in fact they are still supposed to be short-term temporary.

Few are prepared to cut people they care about out of their lives over a media-public health-political issue. Many people don't even follow politics.

The controversy over the certs will rage for as long as the certs exist, so if you consider this 'whining' you'd better drop out and stop reading these forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Have you ever heard of paragraphs?

Who's this "we" you talk of? Is it a secret society.

That is your problem, you made a lifestyle choice go live.

You don't speak for any faction of people. You certainly don't speak for all people who agreed to get vaccinated and have a cert.

If by 'us' you mean yourself, your very close family and friends then fair enough. Anything other than that and you're just a waffler.

• Advertisement

The minute you have to be hospitalised because of 19, someone else looses out, so yes you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Because of 19 🤣🤣🤣

You've been drinking haven't you

Of course I don't speak for everyone, but I don't see a large queue of vaccinated people queueing up to argue against certs etc... do you?

The Austrians have already started implementing it, the Swiss vote on the 28th, this will eventually reach Ireland as well, just a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Is it possible to put a poll in at the top of the thread for the question of whether already double vaxxed individuals will get a booster? Or is that function gone on the **** redesign of this site.

We shouldn't assume that people agree with them just because they haven't staged passionate protests against them. Most people want a quiet life and are passive AND they've been told the certs are a temporary 'tool' that will soon be gone. But what you seemed to be implying is that cert-holders form some kind of purposive bloc putting pressure on the unvaccinated which is not how I see it at all.

If one of my friends can't get into a place, we all go somewhere else (about 10 or sometimes more of us, and I only have two friends who haven't been vaccinated).

Lots of people simply zone out of public affairs. One of my friends didn't even know who Tony Holohan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Pretty interesting that you cared enough about your own health to get vaccinated but then don't care enough about it to not hang out with unvaccinated people in (presumably) indoor and poorly ventilated spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

You have to look at this in the context of what's open now. If anything, even though the numbers in hospital are high, the vaccines are having a great effect because of the fact that we can have full stadiums for rugby, concerts etc... again. And the unvaccinated do continue to make up the majority of hospital/ICU admissions (per 100k).

I'm usually in beer gardens and outdoor cafes these days when meeting unvaccinated friends. I've gotten so much fresh air this year it must be doing me some good. But no I wouldn't abandon friends or family members for a prolonged time just because one of us could get sick (in theory).

My attitude isn't at all rare, it just lacks any kind of 'official' representation in media, politics or public advice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye. Smallpox seemed to hit the goldilocks zone for being very infectious that spread like widlfire and was(hopefully) an utterly nasty bastard. The bad form would kill a third of those infected regardless of age and health and leave another third with lifetime issues and the rest scarred to some degree. It was one of the commonest causes of blindness for one. The last person to die from it was a woman in England in the late 1970s who caught it from a hospital lab. Although she had been vaccinated ten years previously it wasn't enough. She took two weeks to die, covered all over with agonising sores inside and out, blinded and alone in an isolation ward. They couldn't risk an autopsy and didn't even put her body in a hospital freezer because of fears the virus might be preserved in some way. All funerals were banned in the city that day, her funeral cortege was a police affiar and she was cremated(which wasn't so common back then). Scary shít and within many of our lifetimes, including mine. Samples of it are supposed to be only in two highly protected locations in the world; Russia and the USA, though samples have been found elsewhere over the years. Even the vaccine could be a right curse. My dad was vaccinated against it and told me he was wrecked for weeks after and some he knew were briefly hospitalised with the side effects from it. He actually saw smallpox victims "in the wild" in Africa in the 1950's. He told me it was a horror. They estimate it killed 300 milllion people in the 20th century alone and was one of the biggest killers of indigenous peoples in the Americas, killing something like 80-90% of them off.

What's interesting about the Americas is that there was no America plague as such, with the possible exception of syphilis. So European colonists didn't bring back any similar plagues to bugger up Europe. The Americas were essentially plague free. The single biggest reason were animals, or rather domestic animals and the lack of them. The vast majority of plagues were and are zoonotic in origin. They jump from animals, where they're usually harmless, to humans, where they usually aren't. The Americas had only the dog and the llama with the occasional guinea pig(the latter two restricted to the south of the continent). They didn't have horses, pigs, cattle, ducks, geese and chickens living and dying in close proximity and mixed in with wild species like Eurasia, which is basically a DIY pathogen production facility. Hence no plagues. If ever there was a perfect example of how we should, even must change our farming methods that's a good one.

And that folks, is how you do an aside... 😬😯😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I mentioned this before but I’ll be reluctant to take a booster after getting chest pains from the second vaccine. I’m not anti-vax by any means but that scared me. If I get the invitation text I’ll phone them to discuss it.

Advertisement