Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Something I've noticed recently is how we're finally at the point where in-game looks better than FMV videos. Both Forza Horizon 5 and Yakuza Like A Dragon have 'cinematic' cutscene and 'in-engine' ones - and in many ways the latter look better with higher frame rate, higher resolution and no video compression. Obviously you can do more with 'cinematic' ones in terms of angles, detail etc... but boy those crushed blacks and artefacts really stand out in comparison to the real-time stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I only started watching Storror (a group of English Parkour scallywags) a few months ago so was pleasantly surprised to see them team up with Dying Light 2. The coordination and editing in this is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I think we've been at that stage for at least a decade. As jarring as the drop in fidelity cutscenes are often still limited to 30 fps (even newer titles processing those ingame), the game is zipping along nicely at 90FPS or so and then it's like hitting the brakes on your eyeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Vote now for Ultimate Game of all Time and Ultimate Hardware of all time (from nominees provided)

Supposedly get a free gaming ebook as well for taking part

Needless to say someone's favourite game won't be on the list

For quick reference before you vote, the Game nominees are

• - Minecraft
    • - The Last of Us
    • - DOOM (1993)
    • - Tetris
    • - Super Mario 64
    • - Street Fighter II
    • - Space Invaders
    • - Portal
    • - Pokemon GO
    • - Super Mario Kart
    • - Grand Theft Auto V
    • - Super Mario Bros. 3
    • - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • - Halo: Combat Evolved
    • - Dark Souls
    • - Metal Gear Solid
    • - Half-Life 2
    • - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    • - Pac-Man
    • - SimCity (1989)

• Advertisement

Breath of the Wild 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I started Forgotten City a couple of days ago but only played a small bit of it. Lots of reading is why I stopped playing originally I planned to finish it to be ready for GTA San Andreas but I will have to come back to it later as tomorrow night and the next while I will be getting stuck into GTA SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, FF6/7, Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye, TIE Fighter, RE4, Bioshock, God of War, MGS3, StarCraft, WoW, Half Life, Bloodborne, Witcher 3. All missing.

Pokemon Go, which isn't a game, included. Makes sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd recommend pushing ahead with Forgotten City. The game's only around 4 or 5 hours long (if not less - I finished it during a lazy afternoon), and it works best when all the moving pieces are fresh in your mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was going to ask how on earth you tie a TV show around a main character whose face you don't see - but of course The Mandalorian managed it. Although the helmet being a religious creed did tie into that detail, with some great character moments when Mando had to take his helmet off. Not sure how you do similar with Halo.

Stallone took his helmet off in Judge Dredd even though I don't recall the comic book doing that. Maybe they'll do the same here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least the Mandalorian was a character and not a vessel for bad one liners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I can remember people being upset about that, and that happened before the internet/social media became a big thing. I can only imagine the nerd rage if it happened today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Gonna try League of Legends (the mobile version, seems less daunting) for the first time ever due to the influence of Netflix's excellent Arcane, which may be the best video game adaptation ever, by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Isn't there only 3 episodes out? That's a bold statement there lad.

They'll rage, and yet they will consume it and buy all of the merch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

6 now and the final 3 this weekend.

I'm 4 in and it is really good. Don't know what LoL fans think of it

To be fair, the bar for best video game adaptation is very low so anything that’s basically competent, let alone actually good, has a good shot for the crown!

Not sure any show could be good enough to convince me to actually play LoL though… I don’t have thousands of hours to spare 😅

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is not a great metric TBH; the whole point of the character was that, like Mando, Dredd doesn't take off his helmet. The film itself was a big 'aul 90s mess of a thing beyond that - starting with the star overpowering the comic material. The Mandalorian was touch 'n go with its lead wearing a bucket; but when they leaned into the idea he was actually a bit of a religious fanatic - culminating in a brilliant episode where he had to keep his helmet off - that insistence on his always earing the helmet paid off. You could see the physical and mental discomfort writ on Pedro Pascal's face throughout.

Not sure you could spin something similar for Halo, coming up with a legitimate reason to have Haloman take his dirt bike helmet off for protracted periods.

I've heard a lot of buzz over Arcane, but as an outsider to the game, it's weird to read of a heavily story-centric show based on something that has never hinted to me towards any kind of narrative depth. Quite the opposite; LoL has struck as a game deeply riven with the kind of toxicity that turns many (including myself) off of multiplayer gaming. The story stuff just thin excuses for a colourful roster of characters.

• Advertisement

My point is I don't think the Hollywood execs give a ****.

"Sir, some Turbonerds on the internet are complaining that Master Chief shouldn't take his helmet off."

"Are they still watching it and buying all of the merch?"

"Yes sir. They'll buy anything."

"Then who cares?"

I don't think that's true though. Yes, in the 90s comicbooks and "nerd culture" was still very niche and Blockbusters did indeed take those kind of swings with adaptations. Even cherished films like X-Men or Batman '89 dícked about with things. Now, studios will bend over backwards lest they enrage an engaged fanbase that weaponises Social Media when they're butt-hurt: heck to keep things related to Star Wars, you need only look at Rise of Skywalker; or the "Synder Cut" with the Justice League film. Or take any of the many reboots, later-sequels and so on, and just how laden they are with nostalgic handjobs to appease "fans".

Not saying I know the Halo TV show will take the helmet off - and maybe they'll come up with a clever way to do that (eg, flashbacks) - just that if they want to keep the fans onside, they'll have to keep it on as much as possible.

People went in their droves to see those Star Wars films and they bought all of the toys. I don't see your point at all here, they raked in the cash despite the raging nerds.

All they care about is milking these people, and they are doing a great job of it.

Halo will be the same. That helmet will come right off, the nerds will rage online, no one will care because the money will roll in. Life goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm an outsider to the game too and I imagine the characters for the game are just vehicles to sell skins etc but the show still works brilliantly. Great story and voice acting and incredible art and animation. Especially the animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Saw an Anniversary Edition upgrade for Skyrim in Steam and suddenly the urge was on me for another run through, unfortunately its a broken mess and it will corrupt all your saves after a few hours so they load into a black screen with background music, seems to have broken all the people who didn't upgrade installs aswell seeing as they tweaked the engine of the Special Edition aswell.

I was that pissed off that I downgraded it back to SE with a patch then spent 2 days getting this overhaul working, it's called The Phoenix Flavour and is about 600 mods and improvements to Vanilla that you have to use an app called Wabbajack to install overnight, it's apparently the best of the modpacks that doesn't make the game too batsh1t, article about it here but he doesn't really do it justice, the install folder is now 120 GB:

www.pcgamer.com/auto-installing-over-600-mods-makes-skyrim-beautiful-and-confusing/

It took me multiple attempts aswell, I had to do the cart ride about 4 times before I got the fcuking thing working. Anyway all set now for what should be the ultimate experience. Everythings been overhauled including the inventory system, movement is a lot slicker and there's just an improvement to everything basically, you notice something every time you do anything. Another Christmas in Skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I never finished that game on Xbox 360 as my save corrupted and I wasn't going to replay a lot of the game again. I played a bit on PC a couple of years ago but I could remember it so I left it. I actually own the Special Edition too as it was free as I owned the standard version on steam. Played a bit of SE too got to fighting the first dragon and just left it as I could still remember the game from previous times. I still do not know what the fascination is with that game.

Probably my favourite game ever. I dunno, I don't see what people like about Breath of the Wild, it bores me. Not a fan of The Last of Us, God of War, The Witcher 3 and a bunch of other supposed GOAT games. Different strokes, I guess.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

For anybody interested, G4TV relaunched last night

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Going to depend on how good the presenters and reviewers are. Adam sessler gave it some legitimacy originally and I'd have mostly ignored it but for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

From the thumbnail alone, i can safely say i'll never look at it.

Advertisement