Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter project 2021

Options
  • 29-09-2021 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

So starting my 2021 winter project a little earlier this year, a 1981 BMW R100rs (with S fairing)

I'm hoping to have this finished for next summer to take across Germany through switzerland and then down to france.

So my Dad bought this bike in 1986 and its always been kept outside and hasn't ran since 2001 as he got a Yamaha Diversion and was using that for a bit and then a K75.

So a complete rebuild is needed on this bike, so a serious project and learning experience for me!

Already have the motobins engine and gear box manuals infront of me, and a haynes manual thats older than I am and shows it.

So my plan is to completly strip this bike down, get the frame and forks sandblasted and powder coated, the engine and carbs are getting Vapour blasted and the engine repainted.

The wheels are being vapour blasted and repainted

Every fastener on this bike will be replaced as well with stainless steel (Theyre all fucked anyway)

Electronics are being upgraded,

Will be getting in contact with Ikon in england to see if they can save the Koni Dial a ride shocks, and then upgrading the forks with a brace, inertia dampeners and progressive springs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

The bike looks in better condition here than in reality. Also that seat cowl is fucked and in need of replacement

So you can see the extent of the work I've cut out for me,

I've going to keep the bike original looking, not going to turn it into a cafe racer as that wouldn't leave it as a the bike that use to drop me off to primary school / weekend sports clubs when i was younger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

This is a naturally beautiful bike worth the effort and I don't even like project work. Keep us updated and make sure to finish it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

Looking forward to seeing this progress, good luck

Haha its nice to do during the winter period when the weather is ****.

Plus it means if I take this bike out to Europe I'm confident about it as I'll know every part well enough to work on myself.

These bikes were like rockets back in the day as well, twin 40mm carbs on a 1000cc engine, so can't wait to start it up. I havn't sat on this bike since I was about 12 as well.

• Advertisement

Same! So far I've been contacting all the suppliers and shops for what I need to get this bike ready while I'm taking it apart.

Going to 3D print some of the stiff I need, but theres bits I would definitely need to buy, like the gearbox tools

So after repeated hits with a deadblow mallet, lots of fire and freezing spray finally got the exhaust pipe oout of the RHS cylinder head. Thankfully no damage.

Also got the covers off the side of the cylinders and my first look at the barrels. So far seems good, no damage to the Nikasil coatings, which would have been an expensive fix. I'm back in tomorrow so hoping to get the Barrells off completly and if i can have the engine removed from the frame.

So I now have the engine out, gearbox removed and the frame is nearly finished being stripped down.

I'll be starting to make my initial order for parts soon for the bike which will probally add up very quickly.

I've one stripped spline bolt on the conrod, but I hope i can knock this out soon.

Been a bit quiet on this project as I've been flat out between either working on this and actually working now that covid restrictions are lifting (plus side means I'm not wrecking my savings account for when it comes to buying parts)

Got most of the bits ready for the powder coaters. Kat from KLC wheel refurb in Enniskillen said she can redo my wheels too. My next stage is getting the engine and gearbox split and then bringing them to Enniskillen too, Kat has a vapour blasting set up, so she's going to have a look at them at the same time as the wheels.

So far the only thing that needs straight up replacing (apart from the bearings, rubbers and seals) is the seat Cowl.

getting on a bit further with the bike.

Can see where I almost had a perfect fuel tank, except for the Righthand side where Dad hit a lamp post in the late eighties

Current plan is following the Motobins manual and get the engine stripped down for cleaning.

Ordered some parts for the bike, but going to spread this one out quite a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Great work, glad your not chopping subframe etc...

Interested in results and cost of v blasting/coating. Your the fella with the Dr's yeah??

yeah, i couldn't do that to the poor bike!

I'll let you know the break down of the costs, I think the vapour blasting might be expensive, mainly as theres quite alot to get done, trying to have as much done up in Enniskillen as possible though to save travelling.

Yeah, still have the DR's, Dad's need new fork seals though and mine needs some wiring redone, I've a better idea now of how to do the wiring loom though.

So the Steel work is now at the sand blasters / Powder coaters,

And the aluminium parts and wheels are with the Vapour Blasters.

Just playing the waiting game now,

I've a load of parts still to order from Motobins / Motorworks, but I need to measure a main bearing first and be sure that another plain bearing is ok before doing the order.

Also if anyone in Dublin wants anything from Motobins give me a shout, I'm shipping it to NI so no brexit tax if your in need of a part and don't mind waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Great thread. Thanks for it.

Not sure if you've got anything from Motorworks recently but just to alert you...

A Motorworks package to me was returned to them by An Post in August last due to an incomplete or incorrect customs declaration. New regs came into effect in July whereby the declaration must be electronically readable.

Maybe Motorworks are on top of it by now but it might be worth your while checking with them.

No worries, I'm looking forward to how the wheels turn out once Kat gets her hands on them

I'm bypassing all that by delivering to Fermanagh. Myself and my parents are up and down frequently between Dublin and Fermanagh, so shipping the packages to them saves all sorts of customs headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Glad you mentioned bearings - does that include wheels?

Those old boxers are notorious for collapsing rear wheel bearings and stripping the drive spline in the rear drive, too.

Check the spline very carefully for wear, and buy some high-moly grease for it.

Also, the brake calipers are shite. See what upgrades are available.

Hard-won experience from running one for ages. Apart from those mentioned faults, it was fairly bulletproof.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Yeah I've already ordered the all balls wheel and swing arm bearings.

Going to order the gearbox bearings soon, just need to measure up the plain bearings for the crank, I've plugged the rear one for getting vapor blasted, but if its damaged at all its going.

The splines and gear teeth look in good order. i inspected all of them and was following Brook Reams rebuild on his website to see what he says to look out for. Ordered the grease already for the splines

https://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcycle-rebuilds/1983-bmw-r100rs-rebuild-project-index/

Got brembo brake discs, mines a 81RS, can't remeber off the top of the head but i think they're opposed two pot calipers, I think my mates is a single pot caliper, but his is the older model and has a drum on the rear too.

Dad said they wear down the discs quickly, so i'm hoping the new brembo discs will stop that, supposodly floating discs but I'll see.

Getting the high end alternator kit for the bike so no more diode board and got the wedgetail single trigger for the bike too

order from Caferracerwebshop arrived.

New bearings for the wheels, swingarm and headstock.

also some motogadet stuff and 1:2 throttle and choke splitters

Brake discs arrived today too off XLmoto, unfortunatly the boxes looked like pizza boxes, so spent the evening wishing I had ordered pizza too

got the stuff back from the powder coaters and now just waiting on the vapour blasted stuff and deliveries from Motoworks, motobins and Wemoto.

The metal work was seriously corroded so I've sanded back the powder coating to try and smooth it out and then on Tuesday when Vinny-Byrnes reopens I'm going to buy some coach paint (or what they say is appropiate) and redo the frame using a brush.

Spent the last few days cleaning my valves and exhaust pipes which were fairly manky. Unfortunatly I think I need to buy two new valves due to pitting on the more exposed side of the bike.

I'll probally send the heads off to Motoworks to be made suitable for unleaded fuel and have new valves set in at the same time.

I was also looking at the clock and Voltmeter on the bike, and theyre corroded beyond my ability to save. So I ordered new ones off aliexpress for pretty cheap. I will probally see if a watch maker or jeweler can swap the Motometer faces over to the new ones for me to make it look like they're original

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Trying to make out your graffiti there. 😀

Not your ornery onager

I gave up noticing it xD we rented this unit last year and was a mechanic garage (pretty sure chop shop) before we were in it.

Unfortunatly getting demolished just after Easter though so i'm not on a time limit to finish the bike and get out of here! otherwise I'll be building it in the apartment and last minute assembling it in the garage since I definitely can't fit a motorcycle in lift.

Plus the caretaker would kill me if he caught me doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Really enjoying this rebuild thread the same as the DR rebuild.

What's particularly cool about this rebuild from your perspective is the fact that it was your Dad's bike first many years ago.

Amazing foresight on your Dad's part in not selling the bike on after he was finished riding it.

I'd give anything to have any of the bikes that my Dad owned.

Well done you (and your Dad) 👏

Dad is a bloody hoarder xD Unfortunatly alot of his vehicles end up living in the field by the house which is where this easily could have ended up. We have a Jawa up the field at the moment and two sidecars.

We have two long wheel based land rovers in the field also, a series 3 and a Defender 110, he's only just talking about rebuilding the defender, which means it will probally be a project for next winter.

Yeah, this is always the bike I would think of if someone asked me about Dad's bikes, himself and mum toured alot of europe on it before we were born.

The DR was a way to learn basic maintance as I went into it with year on the license and barely knowing oil changes and so on.

This time I'm learning to rebuild (at least dismantle) an Engine at the same time.

I bought a Daytona twin signal so I can run digital and analog speedo signals (digital to the M-unit and analog to the original instrument cluster) the only downside is I can't find a M18 to M12 speedo adapter that works.

Currently 3D printing this prototype, but if it works, I might see if I can get someone with a lathe to make up an aluminium version for me

wemoto, motobins and motoworks order. Plus replacement bolts from ACCU

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

That's some nice stash of goodies.

You'll have fun opening that lot

haha i did! unfortunatly I can't put them onto the bike yet.

waiting on the engine and wheels to come back from the vapour blasters.

spending this week painting the frame and tank, went to Vinny byrnes and got paint made up to match the original paint code from BMW.

next week I'm going to tackle the pin striping and then varnish it all

Got a message that all my parts should be available for collection at the end of the week!

Only issue is Kat didn't do the barrels or engine block as she didn't want to damage the Nikalsil lining on the barrels and then theres an oil channel in the block thats 1mm diameter and Tom Cutter from Rubber chicken Racing warned me that its prone to sludging up and destroying engines. So I'll be doing those by hand

Decided to redo my tank and cowl as I wasn't happy with the tiny dents in them, so currently have filler spray paint drying over night before sanding down and hopefully I'll have a better finish.

Brake Calipers are also drying at the moment with their first coat of paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Your rockin and rolling man. Fair play.

There's a new bike at the end of all the work waiting for you.

Advertisement