Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Autumn 2021 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A few cold blasts but we could just miss out on the fun, a real risk of cold damp misery while East Britain sees the white gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭pauldry

No real surprise the roller coaster always has some peaks and lots of troughs. Wel be all happy when we see the pubrun tonight.

Gismeteo (very reliable sounding name there) has sleet in Sligo November 26th. No snow any day till Christmas bar this.

But yeah it's probably as reliable as a train to Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not suggesting anything but more just for interest, but this morning's ECM output is very similar to that of early December 1981, which ended up being one of the snowiest Decembers of the late 20th century.

Current long-term output:

December 7th 1981:

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hopefully this afternoons 12z are an improvement after this mornings rather disappointing ECM and GEM which have backed away from proper cold somewhat. GFS 12z is rolling out however too many connections so cannot see the update yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Available on Meteociel now, Horrible run tbh - by 192h the jet is pushing the ridge down out of Greenland, and it tries to reload and ultimately gets split into an Azores high drifting Eastward over and away from us, and a weak West-based -NAO.

There is however one promising sign that shouldn't be overlooked - a large ridge of high pressure blasting its way poleward from the Pacific. This feature was present alongside the Greenie high in 2010 and I'm fairly sure also in early 2009, so if the high manages to reload on our side it could result in a properly split tropospheric PV - obviously a lot would then depend on the exact placement of these features but it's certainly far from a standard polar vortex setup.

It's definitely a sh!te run compared with what we've been seeing in recent days but that Pacific ridge indicates at least to me that it's not quite game over as far as jet disruption goes.

Icon tonight showing a more NE.. and less cold flow in its outer reaches with no sign of the boisterous northerlies shown in this morning's model runs.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

106cm in the midlands apparently on the ECM 12z 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

The Ecmwf for next Thursday. Imagine 😂.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Don't think I've ever seen that amount forecast at low levels before, maybe 2018 but not sure if that much. I know it is highly unlikely and almost impossible btw.

ECMWF predictably went the same way. I think there may be some truth that the ECWMF will often follow ICON's lead (I believe they use more or less the same input data)

New Moon

November 26th might be a snow day but we ain't getting 2010 type cold. Even if good charts verify it will likely be too windy for temperatures to go below 0c so sleety mess bar parts of Ulster and inland in a few sheltered areas

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Throwing up some extreme charts all right. The big temperature gradient firing up the Jet looks bound to spin up some Lp's / depressions or even a storm perhaps. The charts for Thurs / Fri showing a Lp to deepen seemingly out of nowhere coming up against the cold body of air with a huge dump of frontal snow. A lot of moving parts would have to align for that to happen but the main thing is that the models on and off are showing some stormy and wintry scenarios developing.

For Thurs and Fri showing the temperatures only getting up in the low single digits, only 1 or 2 in central counties over the snowfields currently predicted with very strong winds on the coasts or even stormy and strong winds overland giving a significant wind chill and blizzard like conditions. Hard to believe it is showing charts like this given how mild and calm it has been for such a long time now.

I think we are going to see some wild swings in the charts over the coming days given how fired up the Jet will be, models have been focusing between Thurs to Sat for the chance of something substantial happening. Only further output will reveal how potent it might be. Would have a stronger hunch that we will get some bitter windy or stormy weather more so than snow at this stage, I think it might be wintry for sure. Intriguing.

Never get peoples obsession with getting 2010 cold. That was an extraordinary weather event that we will be lucky to see again. Also it lasted too long and despite this many people so more snow over 3 days in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 snowaholic

👀…👀…👀 … watching and waiting !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 18z rolling out and milder than earlier runs with more in the way of Atlantic modification. I don't think the high will even make it to the southern tip of Greenland this time and the lows have stalled north of Scotland keeping the real cold well up north.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

UKMO only goes up to next Weds but quite similar to the EC with a very fast jet taking up a similar position and looks like tightening isobars getting ready for a wave depression to form as the cold air is drawn down from the North.

• Advertisement

Just my layman's take on it Cork2021 : The ECMWF showing very windy and wintry weather next Thurs / Fri as the Jet strengthens . UKMO only goes up to Wes but looks similar to the ECMWF in the early stages. Both look to draw down cold air from the North. Questions is will there be a dump of snow as shown earlier on the ECMWF.

GFS 18Z rolling out showing Some windy wintry weather around Saturday, a lot of mixing before that. Long way to go before we get any clear idea of temperatures and snow potential for the end of the week

18z gets there in the end with some snow around the 30th of November.

Ya we are lucky to get 2 or 3 days with snow each Winter. The end of November may deliver one of them.

So charts seem to be reverting to original consensus before they got excited bar the brief colder interlude which may in itself be dumbed down.

The December weather looks mild now again as previously with an odd storm possible but probably 10 to 12 or 13c much of the days and 6c at night so much milder than average .....AGAIN.

However take all this with a pinch of salt. Charts may turn blue again if there's even minor changes of high and low positions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pretty simple. 2018 occurred in late February and early March, a time when I and I am sure many others look forward to the longer days with hopes of warm sunshine. 2010 occurred in late November and through most of December, a time when the sun is very weak and nights are long as well as it being the festive season so it felt "just right" for lack of a better description or traditional with the Dickensian Christmas lore we were taught as kids.

2018 had bitter windchill (which I know some like), 2010 had a slack airflow vast majority of the time and was more pleasant to be out in.

Flakes in 2018 were tiny because of the very dry polar continental airflow, 2010 had a mix as the air wasn't as dry and made it easier to create snowballs. Bigger flakes are also more picturesque.

2010 keeps getting compared here by many as we are coming up to the point when the 2010 spell started and it is the benchmark. There is no other spell that compares or comes close to it at this point in the year since 1890. Indeed it was extraordinary and I have emphasised this many a time with tons of stats. But this is the case with many Irish events that we use as benchmarks for future possible events such as the summer of '95, the blizzard of January 1982, the thunderstorm of July 1985 etc. Lots of these were once-in-a-lifetime yet we keep mentioning them every time we see possibility of interesting weather.

Anyway, just as I feared, there continues to be a watering down of any kind of Greenland heights and is now firmly a mid-Atlantic ridge with standard northerly toppler expected which will be a change again on the exceptionally mild autumn we've been having that for many has been frostless but it doesn't take away from the fact that vast majority of autumns see a pattern of this kind at some point. Some crisp sunshine, some cold rain showers with hail and sleet/snow on high ground, quite blustery NW/N'ly winds. Standard fare. Mind that surprise snow events can still occur in such a pattern (what we like to call "ninja snow" on here), just quite unlikely to do so and especially this time of year in late November.

Until we see proper Greenland blocking or strong amplification from tropical drivers, I do not foresee much in the way of a very cold pattern setting up any time soon. Typical topplers than anything else. As ever, I hope I am wrong and there is plenty to talk about ahead after this really bland autumn.

Post edited by sryanbruen on

Yup the Bland Autumn is about to become Bland winter though it will snow in May when we are wishing for sun.

Irelands weather can be so annoying. Whatever you want you get the opposite of.

Still there is a cold couple of days coming before Bland reassert itself for another X weeks

I think there's reason to be optimistic with how this late autumn period is lining up as we approach winter, from a coldie perspective. Next few days will tell a lot.

I still think we have to wait till after Christmas to see some proper wintry weather like we do most years that do turn cold. After several days of lovely charts and excitement this spell is watered down to almost nothing at this stage other than just standard cool weather. Once the cool weather passes through we do look back to square one with very mild temperatures but let's see what happens over the next week as things can change again.

• Advertisement

There is something special though about an early winter snowfall. Feels more natural and seasonal. By mid-January, days are starting to get noticeably longer with that ominous foreboding of the coming early Spring hanging in the air.

New Moon

Advertisement