Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

• Registered Users Posts: 38,315 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Virus doesn't care about timelines or plans and all that

With this lot in charge anything is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Could you provide a link to that please, did they have underlying medical conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Ireland has so little unvaccinated people that introducing any restrictions or lockdown would be "bad for business" for any other country which is trying to increase vaccination. Like how do you convince 20-50% people to take a vaccine if they will see countries like Israel, Ireland and few more locking down and reintroducing restrictions despite nearly 100% of population vaccinated. The narrative that 5% of unvaccinated are somehow responsible for everything now is pure garbage. That number is much lower due to simple fact that quite a lot of people are not taking vaccine because they already had covid and recovered.

And even though you may be able to somehow convince some hesitating people to take one jab or two you will have a hard time to convince them they got to come back for another one every 8 months. Good luck with that, about half of vaccinated people are not intending to take the booster anyway.

Nothing beats natural immunity. In my case the first one was mild with just 3 days of temperature and second one nearly 20 months after I did not even felt anything apart from being little tired for few days. Oh, and it seems I got it from a colleague who did not have to test himself or isolate or whatever even though he was sick like puppy because he was fully vaccinated lol.

You explain to them that between April 1st and November 13th, 63% of icu admissions came from that small proportion of the population who are unvaccinated, and that it’s hospital admissions which are driving Government policy leading to restrictions and probable lockdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,186 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The virus doesn't care about timelines and cultural events, but governments do.

They tried to push it until after Christmas for the sake if a cultural event last year. And it almost worked. I'd say they'll aim for the same this year - relatively normal Christmas and then apply more harsh restrictionsif necessary. Just my opinion, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

The whole closing early of pubs/nightclubs is to stop the filling up of A/E with drink related problems, it's basically just all for show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

2/3 of people in ICU are unvaccinated.

About 90% of our population are vaccinated; so those people who are unvaccinated are having a heavy, disproportionate effect on ICU capacity, which is putting the rest of the population in the position we are in now, IE, facing into more lockdowns and cancelling care for other people.

Its not entirely their fault, but they certainly have some responsibility. If we had everyone vaccinated, we wouldn't be where we are right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Someone could become anti vax over time?

Like you could be vegetarian now but have ate meat in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Anti science conspiracy theorist might be more fitting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The next scheduled NPHET meeting is Thursday 25th. If things are very bad, then there’ll be more restrictions announced the 26th.

One way or another more are coming and I’m expected lockdown in everything but name.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Lockdown cannot be the answer this time. It hasn't worked before and we will only end up where we are now again.

If your that scared of catching it then it's your personal responsibility to protect yourself whatever way you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

He said in around 2 weeks or so. He didn't give a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Its time to stop blaming the few that are unvaxed and begin to blame the people who are in charge of running the health sector. . Its not the publics responsibility.

Re: lockdown. We weren't rewarded in any way for getting two doses up to 92%. There should have been full reopening 8 months ago , even if only for the summer. The endless lockdowns and restrictions we've endured for the last two years were all for nothing. Absolutely nothing was achieved.

Being relentlessly shackled with restrictions has demoralized the population. Why would anybody want to follow the rules now when the government have constantly treated us like dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

So correct IMHO on both counts.

Whatever the outcome, its a personal choice. I respect that, but the madness of punishing everyone with the decisions made by Government is unjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,186 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

When you say lockdown hasn't worked before, what do you mean? What did you think lockdown was supposed to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Have we a breakdown of the age of people in Icu.

I would guess the majority deemed as non vaccinated were too old or sick to get a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

In most countries protect the health service when it is under pressure and then open with restrictions and lockdown again if things go bad.

In Ireland lockdown for months when the health service is not under pressure just encase things might go bad.

Remove Cancer screening and doubling the hospital waiting list which will cause far more deaths.

Give us less immunity than other countries which will cause more deaths.

Give people free money to sit at home all day and put on weight.

Put massive debt that we will be paying for generations.

Close construction when we have a housing crisis.

Close businesses that never reopened.

What it should have done was give the government and the hse a great chance to expand hospital capacity which would have us in better shape now and in the future going forward.

But that would require the government and the hse to actually do any work.

I think the perspective of looking for a reward for getting vaccinated is a bit backwards tbh. The reward is you've a higher level of protection from Covid.

Re; the demoralised public. I completely agree with that. My own mental health has taken a battering over the last few days; facing into another winter of lockdowns is a sh*tty prospect.

My frustration comes though when people are digging their heels in and saying 'f*ck it, there's no point anymore'. If this approach is taken by the public we will be in a much worse place, with much harsher restrictions come January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I would say the new term will be "vaccine indifferent".

That's the way I'm headed now. I took the two doses without fuss. Knowing what we do now as a 30 something there is no advantage to taking follow up doses every 6 months for the foreseeable, as what will be needed if 3rd dose wanes like 1 & 2 (see Israel r0 this week).

Given the above plus the evidence to date that the vaccine doesn't prevent onward transmission to those around me, I fail to see the advantage of giving a booster to anyone under 50 who isn't immunocompromised.

They should stick to the current plan and complete that effectively and see how that group are in 6-9 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Other countries with far better health care systems than us are looking at lockdowns or restrictions / curfews, either across the board or for the unvaccinated.

We did better on vaccine rollout, which is something tractable they government could focus on and get done in 12 -18 months, rather than long term plans to hugley boost ICU that may never see fruition and wouldn't be in place today.

But there's only so many severe cases a country can handle which is a factor of hospital capacity & vaccination rate.

If we hadn't got such high vaccination rates, we'd already be in lockdown & may well make the difference between the shape of what comes next being 'Level 3' or 'Level 5'.

To say we've been treated like dirt is absolute delusional BS.

Encouraging the unvaccinated to get vaccinated is the single most effective thing than can be done right now to reduce pressure on hospitals, that will have impact in the timeframes needed.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Vaccines do prevent onward transmission, not 100% but significantly - both by reducing your chances of getting infected, being symptomatic (which furthers spread) and how long you are infectious for \ time taken to clear viral load from your system.

There's still research being done on whether the viral load detected in infected vaccinated people as as capable of infection as in unvaccinated, or has been neutralized by immune system response.

(ref: new Scientist)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Absolute delusion is to still have a religious like faith that the vaccines will make everything better. I don't have any interest in what government cheerleaders like you have to say and neither does anybody else at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Onward transmission is not prevented, health officials have confirmed as much.

Reward may have been the wrong word to use but the message is obvious, you can't expect compliance to the rules when the trust relationship with the public is finished.

So what's the alternative then? Where do you see the country going in the next few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Dickie10

let it run through the younger population the more that are exposed the better now the vulnerable are vaxxed 3 times over, we can do no more, just move on with literally living with it, get more icu capacity, we have lots of private hospitals to take over yet so i dont acyually think hospitals are that close to full.

Advertisement