Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I have the perfect song here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBZi6hrmNz0

Given how downcow likes to label politicians /sportsmen /his friends /journalists etc. as 1 side or the other, he'll be pleased to know that this is written and performed by a Belfast Protestant.

"The Soldier's Sash" ... should keep "both sides" happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Thanks DC. I appreciate the sincerity here.

The answer IMHO is yes, there is an element of insincerity in your posts. For example there are several moments when you claim not to know an Irish politician and then post about him or her in detail in another post. There is no need for this insincerity. Other threads and posts you change your allegiances in some cases from DUP, to less extreme unionist parties and occasionally mention that you have given the SDLP a vote. When this is routinely presented to you, you retort with "can you prove this" only for people to repost your posts. It gets tiresome.

I also fail to believe it's an "honest" question.

Post edited by steddyeddy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ah he was being sincere about orange not being associated with Unionists though. And Martan Maginis. And a lot of other things. Very sincere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I did like the sincerity of the claim that green was more associated with unionism than orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Whilst I doubt it was the angle he was going for, that is not totally incorrect. Green was the colour associated with the United Irishmen whom in Ulster were dominated by Presbyterians. Ironically, the descendants of those UI Republicans are now devout Unionists like Downcow. Strangely, you never hear that part of their history being commemorated or celebrated.

DC is all over the place and reflects the silly mental gymnastics that Unionists have to jump through to convince themselves they are the innocently wronged. Spends most of their time defending OO/12th July, then distances themselves by claiming OO is more of an Anglican movement which historically it was, but is now more of a pan Protestant movement.

Likewise claiming 12th July was some sort of blow of democracy whilst at the same time being completely opposed to republicanism, the ultimate form of democracy. It's quite interesting that in the wake of the 12th one of the key outcomes was the introduction of the penal laws in Ireland which whilst primarily aimed at Catholics, also persecuted Presbyterians and other Non Anglican folk, a huge part of the reason why so many Ulster Scots left for the US during the 18th century. Some democracy eh? I guess DC wouldn't see the irony in modern day Presbyterians celebrating an event that led to them being persecuted for almost 100 years and led directly to attempts to break from Britain led by Presbyterians who saw the tyranny of the London Government. Over 200 years later, London Government still screwing them over yet they don't learn their mistakes so blinded by the hatred of anything 'Irish' have they become.

The fact that DC see's himself as a Moderate is laughable in the extreme, I think the poster Pea Sea is a Unionist and would be a good example of a moderate Unionist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

But all of this adds to my conviction that the Northern Ireland protocol is here to stay. The only one on this thread that is arguing against it is a self proclaimed unionist who does/doesn't know any Irish politicians depending on the thread, changes political allegiance from loyalist to moderate unionist to sometimes SDLP and then holds pretend polls in his/her head to pretend there's more opposition to the protocol. This tells me that the protocol is here to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

DC, you often make a shíte 3 or 4 line reply to detailed or difficult questions, either irrelevant twaddle or a pathetic attempt to deflect.

This is not the behaviour of a sincere poster imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

you are so wrapped up in prejudice you can’t even see the issue.

maybe you can you show me where gstq is specifically English? and yet it gets referred to regularly here by you and others as the England anthem. Try to be consistent.

maybe you could also show me where the ss is specifically Dublin as the game takes place in Dublin?

maybe when you are at it you can tell me the geographical area that the ss covers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Pretty sure the SS covered the German occupied portions of Europe during WW2.

Not sure what that has to do with the NIP though?

Guys I can’t reply to every post that pointed out how insincere I am. But in essence they were all the same. You guys may deny it but deep down you know that each of your replies was very ‘insincere’. Actually quite a lot of lies contained.

just to clarify.

yes I have voted SDLP (tactically) to keep the sf apologist for murder out of my seat

Yes I have very often voted dup but there is more I don’t like about them than do, but they are often the only unionist can get elected in my constituency.

I have been a consistent uup supporter from before the gfa.

I did not say that green was more associated with unionism than orange. Although free is the highest colour in the orange order

I did not say the OO was an Anglican movement. I pointed out it is more rooted and more popular in Anglican circles. I stand by this and can provide rational if required.

I was sincere about Martin Mcguinness spelling you will see I have tried hard since to get it right

etc etc

Post edited by downcow on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There is no official anthem which represents only Northern Ireland, a constituent country of the United Kingdom.

National anthem of Northern Ireland - Wikipedia

The rugby team is 'Ireland'. Hence why they don't play the official anthem of the UK.

After that it is about inclusion and the IRFU have included northern Irish players who might want it, by playing 'Ireland's Call' a compromise which has satisfied players and thousands and thousands of Unionists, wh enthusiastically support Ireland in rugby games all over the world.

As the Irish constitution refers to the island of Ireland as the nation and anybody born on it as Irish, then the Irish anthem is the anthem of anyone who identifies as Irish.

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"I'm not insincere, you are."

That's about your strength and typical of your replies to anything you find 'difficult'.

Not your ornery onager

The purpose of my question was that I see posters on this thread who twist and turn and duck and dive to avoid answering questions that are difficult. They also misinterpret stuff to spin the question to suit their preferred answer. It appears to me that some people are so prejudiced that it may be that they don’t even know they are doing it. This got me thinking, could I be doing the same and be unaware of it? Seems 4 or 5 posters think I am. Buts here’s the irony, these are the very same posters who I think may not realise they do it.

Maybe I will have to go and lie down in a dark room and try to work out where the problem lies 🤔

Let's help you here...but you will have to answer a question first. This is the post you claimed was 'twisting' and being 'insincere'.

Can you pinpoint what is 'twisted' in this post and what is 'insincere'?

Please bear in mind that later on after that post, I posted a tweet from a prominent Unionist claiming exactly what I said was being claimed by Unionists. Please don't pivot off to something else...tell me what was in this post that is 'twisted'

The Irish Times published an interview with the relatives of people killed at the border about what the return of a border meant to them.

Varadkar took the article to a meeting in the EU and spoke about and quoted the fears of those people.

Unionists seized on it as a threat from Dublin and have pathetically been using it ever since. Curiously neither the people interviewed nor the Irish Times are being accused of threatening violence. Any port in a storm, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Miniegg

V good post, surprised by some of that. I did know the penal laws targeted Presbyterians at one stage - not sure how they turned from friend to foe toward Catholics.

Regards Downcow I suppose what is a moderate?

A hard-line republican wants British rule gone from the island of Ireland, no exceptions. Violence is a means to do this.

My impression of hard-line unionists is that they want northern island exclusively for British Protestants (though not sure of their stance toward British Catholics or Irish protestants moving in). Violence is a means to do this.

This is the message hard-line Unionism presents to me, apologies if offence caused.

When I hear of moderates, which I consider myself as, I would see it as people who have some internal affiliation to either group, but who are pragmatically willing to forego the hard-line stances due to an aversion to violence/ friends from the other community/ moving on with life/ desire for peace/ or whatever else. Basically people who put NI first, and their affiliation second, and reject violence. These are the people who will move NI forward imo.

Regards Downcow, I don't think a hard-line Unionist (who I'm sure would think Irish are the scum of the earth) would be on a predominantly Irish message board having the craic.

fair comment.

dr Duncan Morrow lectures on the history of the conflict in ni. Excellent stuff if you ever get the chance.

he scribbles a pic on a flip chart which I find illuminating.

it pictures the ‘ordinary folk’ from each community as a lamb looking across at the other. Behind, and looking over each lamb, is a vicious wolf. Each community sees itself as a lamb and indeed sees the other lamb - but unfortunately both see the wolf towering over only the others lamb.

you really need to see it but I hope you can imagine it.

would Bertie aherns latest outburst be allowed on this thread or would he be disciplined?

it was disgraceful on so many levels Those thick loyalists who live in ghettos

Here’s a summary from the Irish times

Loyalists in east Belfast and “ghettos” in Northern Ireland “don’t have a clue” about the post-Brexit protocol, and see it as a “trick by the South” to create a united Ireland, a former taoiseach has said.

and This explains it well directly from the ‘thick’ loyalists https://twitter.com/TalkLoyalism/status/1461413323061276684?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,641 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ironic, really, that even as they criticize Ahern they manage to reinforce the very characterisation that they are objecting to - namely, that loyalists don't have a clue about the Protocol. They accuse Irish government officials of having created it. Either they really still don't know, or they are anxious to create the impression that they don't know, who came up with the Protocol, and who rejected the already-negotiated Brexit terms and insisted on renegotiating them so as to include the Protocol.

Similarly, they accuse the Irish government of "using the threat of republican violence as political leverage to argue against placing a customs border where it should naturally be". We can leave to one side the obvious unhistorical silliness of treating the partition of Ireland and its consequence as a "natural" occurrence rather than the political construct that it was, and just focus on their presentation of the objective of not restoring a customs border as an Irish government ask. It was a [i]UK[/i] government red line pretty much from the moment that the UK government started adopting red lines. Is Loyalist leadership unaware of this, or are they just trying to distract the attention of Loyalists from this awkward fact?

I know we live in an age of instant reactions but, really, it might have been wiser of Loyalist leaders to spend a little more time crafting a statement that didn't inadvertently confirm the very characterisation they are seeking to reject.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

Complains about comments about ghettos. Attempts to prove point by linking to a twitter channel called TalkLoyalism.

Maybe this is a test for sincerity on this thread, since my sincerity has been lambasted.

do you feel ahern should withdraw and apologise

was it ok to refer to loyalist areas as ghettos?

is it only loyalists that don’t understand and are thick?

he sounds soooo like some posts on here

• Advertisement

Should Ahern withdraw and apologise? I haven't read or heard his remarks in full but from what I have read they seem ill-judged and, yes, he probably should withdraw and/or apologise.

Is it OK to refer to Loyalist areas as ghettos? No.

Is it only Loyalists who don't understand/are thick? No.

But I have to add that there's a pattern here. Varadkar points to an obvious and troubling problem; you criticise him for trying to capitalise on the problem, but spend minimal or no time discussing the people who have created and exacerbated the problem in the first place. Ahern make excessively pungent remarks about Loyalist positioning on the Protocol and you criticise him for the pungency while utterly failing to engage with - or even notice or acknowledge - the truth which underlies his remarks.

The bottom line here is that unionism/loyalism's problem here is not Varadkar, and it's not Ahern. It never was. As long as unionism distracts itself with righteous indignation about Varadkar and Ahern - even if that indignation is, genuinely, righteous - it's failing to confront its real problem, which is Westminster.

At best, this is a distraction, but in fact it's more than that - it's an avoidance technique. It avoids confronting the real challenge to unionism, which is that the Westminster political establishment (and, I think, public opinion in Great Britain) have no commitment to the union, see no inherent value in it and are interested in it, if at all, only in the ways that it can be temporarily exploited in pursuit of unrelated goals, like hard Brexit.

This attitude, and unionist reluctance to confront it, pose an existential threat to the union beside which Ahern calling East Belfast a "ghetto" pales into insignificance.

Focus on what matters here, downcow. If even unionists won't focus on the union, it's cactus.

What does anyone's opinion of what Ahern said have to do with the lack of sincerity in your posting style, downcow?

You can't just lay down some random gauntlet and say anyone who doesn't do X is as insincere as you are. It's a false equivalence.

Oh I don’t disagree completely with what ahern says. I believe I can separate the aspects of truth from the offensive nonsense.

I do agree with him that this is significantly about identity for unionists.

now can you accept the other bit of the equation that goods are being hampered and travel is being made difficult from gb to ni? And the protocol is only fractionally enacted at this point

will some posters recognise that the campaign is getting movement which they said absolutely would not happen? And stop this nonsense that it was all flexibilities already in the protocol - that’s just wind up stuff. Coveny said only yesterday that the Eu had made more compromises in this last paper. This would not be happening if we had just accepted it all 6 months ago.

would you accept that it is little different if Leo talks about potential unrest due to borders on island and if Beattie talks about potential unrest due to borders on Irish Sea?

let’s try to be straight with each other.

ps my problem with aherns statement is the sectarian and arrogant nature of it but I think lots of posters can’t see that and see that they are doing it day and daily on here. If Theresa May had said that the Irish in the ghettos of Dublin/Belfast just can’t understand brexit and for them it’s all about their Irish identity - how do you think that would have went down on this thread? Honestly?

I guess that’s easier than addressing the question

I did not say that green was more associated with unionism than orange. Although free is the highest colour in the orange order

These are your statements on colours associated with Unionism.

Orange is absolutely not the colour that represents unionists.

as for colours associated with unionism in ni. Very clearly RW&B and green.

I'm sure you're going to claim its not what you meant, represents and associated are completely different. But that comes across as very insincere to me.

Can you accept the other bit of the equation that goods are being hampered and travel is being made difficult from gb to ni? And the protocol is only fractionally enacted at this point.

Yes. But the practical impact of this hampering, even when the Protocol is fully implemented, is much, much less than would result if restrictions were applied at the land border, because of the different nature and circumstances of the two borders. So I see the Protocol as the least worst way of minimising the harm that hard Brexit inflicts on NI. If there's an even less worse way, I'm very much open to it, but I don't see anyone offering one. And, while I get that Loyalists/Unionists are upset about the Protocol measures, trying to solve the problem by advocating more burdensome measures, but that will affect themmuns, is a complete non-starter.   

The Talk Loyalism statement that you linked to earlier is quite open about preferring restrictions on the land border, not because they would be less burdensome (they wouldn’t) or less destabilising (they wouldn’t be that either) but because in their view that’s the “natural” place for burdensome, destabilising restrictions. That’s a long way from anything that looks like a reasonable contribution to this discussion. If you’re not calling for the border issue to be made less burdensome and less destabilising, then you’re part of the problem afflicting Northern Ireland, not part of the solution that will relieve it. Your position is far more antagonistic to NI than anything Ahern has said.

Will some posters recognise that the campaign is getting movement which they said absolutely would not happen? And stop this nonsense that it was all flexibilities already in the protocol - that’s on my wind up stuff. Coveny said only yesterday that the Eu had made more compromises in this last paper. This would not be happening if we had just accepted it all 6 months ago.

There’s a Brexity pattern here that goes well beyond anything to do with NI and the Protocol, and indeed was established well before the Protocol was thought of. Brexiters dramatize everything; they promise things they can’t deliver; they demand things they can never get; they scream; they thump the table; the accuse the EU of imperialism/naziism/communism; they threaten illegality; they repudiate what they have previously agreed to; they refuse to engage; they lie on the floor yelling, thrashing and drumming their heels. And then, when time is running out, they come to the table; they make a deal pretty much like the one they could probably have got months before, at much less cost to their country’s reputation and credibility; and they claim it as a victory that proves the effectiveness of Tantrum Tactics.

No, I don’t buy it. Neither should you.

And the alternative to a tantrum wasn't "just accepting it all 6 months ago". It was engaging with the issues and using the processes available to mitigate the application of the Protocol, buildiing trust and credibility rather than destroying it. The UK government has been singularly reluctant to do this all along, and unionists have been too afraid to call them out on that.

Would you accept that it is little different if Leo talks about potential unrest due to borders on island and if Beattie talks about potential unrest due to borders on Irish Sea?

What has Beattie said about this? Genuine question.

ps my problem with aherns statement is the sectarian and arrogant nature of it but I think lots of posters can’t see that and see that they are doing it day and daily on here. If Theresa May had said that the Irish in the ghettos of Dublin/Belfast just can’t understand brexit and for them it’s all about their Irish identity - how do you think that would have went down on this thread? Honestly?

Yeah, sure, as reported Ahern’s statement is deeply unhelpful, and I get why unionists would find it offensive and would react badly (though, as already said, I don't think they had to react quite as badly as they have). But I still maintain that Ahern is not unionism’s real problem here, and unionists should not allow this to distract them from problems that matter much, much more - like Johnson and Frost.   

Are you going to answer the question I asked downcow? Or are you going to slip by it again and accuse others of 'not answering questions'.

Compromises within the Protocol downcow.

You were told the Protocol would not be renegotiated and try as they might the UK cannot make that happen. The Protocol has gone nowhere and won't.

That is what you were told.

nice bit of partial quotes taken out of context and then smashed together with quotes from a different context to make a story A tad insincere

here is one of the quotes, in full, that you give

”Orange is absolutely not the colour that represents unionists. here is what maebee said “the fact is that we chose the Green colour which represents us, the Orange colour which represents you, the Unionists, and the white represents peace. Inclusivity.”maybe it is actually more sad than antagonistic. You guys are so arrogant on this issue that you don’t even see it. Maebee is telling me that ‘we’ (i’m guessing she means republicans) ‘chose’ green 😂 and then they told me and the unionists that the colour they were allocating to us was orange 😂 guys read this and absorb it and tell me you are for real. I have no more association with orange than I do the rainbow flag. I am warm towards the OO and lgbt but I am not a member of either grouping”

and here is the other

”as for colours associated with unionism in ni. Very clearly RW&B and green. Nationalists are infatuated about orange. You will really struggle to find anything to do with unionism in the colour orange. I am surprised you are implying that.”

so I was entirely sincere when taken in context and the fact it was in response to be told orange is unionists colour which is absurd. Unionism is a very broad church and orange represents a small part of it.

• Advertisement

Thats fair enough. Ignore the first quote.

Tthis is the question i asked.

What colour would you say is most associated with Unionists in Northern Ireland?

This is your answer.

as for colours associated with unionism in ni. Very clearly RW&B and green

Based on that you associate green with unionism but do not associate orange. Hence you associate green with unionism more than orange.

Advertisement