Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Also, Roberto Martinez is supposed to be on €1.2m for managing Belgium. Mick was paid the same. Seems entirely possible that we could get someone decent in for somewhere in between those two figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

so what do you think the association with 65 million euro worth of debt could stretch to?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

We should not be paying more than 500k for an international manager. The FAI needs to be financially responsible after the Delaney years.

Finances need to be pumped into our national league and grassroots football not into getting a big name manager for the sake of it.

I really don't understand why people refuse to give SK a chance when results and performances have steadily improved over the last few international breaks. We had been awful to watch for over 10 years regardless of results, that hasn't been the case recently. We are starting from a low base but are improving.

Back the manager and back the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

How do you know they wouldn't look at us? I think if the job was advertised there would be a lot of interest.

No idea. With debt that high, an extra few hundred for a manager is hardly significant? If it is, then even Kenny on €500k a year is too expensive. Maybe the next manager should do it for free?

The fai’s financial situation is so precarious then i would say a few 100k is significant.

By that logic, we could get someone in to do it even cheaper. Jim Crawford would probably do it for half what Kenny's on.

well we could do with someone cheaper. Whether its possible to Find a person would get the endorsements by the players that Kenny has done and have the fan’s sell out 50k seats in the Aviva is another questiom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would agree with that Noel King making any comments on Ireland make me laugh. The fella had the definition of a cushy number as women's manager/u21 manager. He had zero expectation, the fans had zero expectation, and I cannot remember him getting any decent result. In fairness to King though. When he was Ireland caretaker manager and had a go at the lads in RTE studio. It was funny because the studio lads seemed to think they were above criticism.

Plus I liked the way King said - 'umpteen'. Can't get enough of 'umpteen'.

--

Upon leaving the U21 job.

King went on to become the full time -  'Player Identification Manager for the Football Association of Ireland'

And who doesn't love a good 'player identification manager' money well spent. Cough - cushy number.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Bums on seat will help, but the real prize is winning competitive games and qualifying for tournaments. Prize money for Euro qualification is €10m alone, not to mention the sponsorship/merchandising windfall. We don't have to go crazy and break the bank on a high profile appointment, but a shrewd appointment could go a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Pirlo? Really? With the way our squad is now, a home grown manager is our best option. Do you really think any of the people you have named are going to travel to Scotland on a cold winters night to watch Jamie McGrath? FFS even Eamon Dunphy admitted he never heard of him before the 1st Portugal game and he makes a living writing and commenting on Ireland games. No foreign manager will be travelling to League 1 to watch games, it would be back to just like Trap and MON - We dont have the players etc etc etc.

If they were serious suggestions I think you're deluded. We need someone who knows the Irish players, the player coming through the system. Kenny is the best fit for the next campaign. If that doesnt go well we move on but again we will need someone who knows the Irish system, the days of paying 1 or 2 million to a jolly foreign manager are long gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Thankgod we beat Luxembourg and this is all academic. I'd genuinely be losing my mind if there was a possibility of MM or big Sam coming in.

As I've said before and another poster pointed out a few posts back, you're cant buy Kennys type of passion and commitment.

He's the right man at the right time for the job. How some posters can't see that genuinely blows my mind.

I think your very nieve with regards to how appealing the job is

No foreign manager would travel to watch an Irish player, ever? Wasn't an elderly Trapattoni seen watching Irish players in the flesh? I am fairly sure a younger more enthusiastic manager would have as much commitment as Kenny would.

Trapatonni famously rarely went to see irish players play and spent most of his time as ireland coach in italy

Also of Stephen Kennys cv isn't good enough what's the appeal in pirlo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Lazy comment. As another poster stated Trap didn't bother his arse watching the players in person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Not as often as he should have.

Kevin Kilbane wrote this back in the day "A Barclays Premier League game with five Republic of Ireland players starting and two days later a top of the table Championship clash involving with five more. It is a week before the most important 10 days of Giovanni Trapattoni’s reign. And where was Ireland’s manager? Back home in Milan of course."

while Trap said "I am better served taking a seat on the couch and watching three games in one day as opposed to travelling to see just one encounter."

He improved later on, but not by much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Only when he was told to by the FAI.

Hand, who managed Ireland for a period between 1980 and 1985 stressed that the former Juventus and Milan manager had to visit his players in order to get 'respect'.

He said: "Going to actually see the players is an essential that Trapattoni has never carried out. As soon as you get the job, that’s what you do. I was part-time when I was manager, but I was still going across to England at every available opportunity to check players out.

"That’s how you get the respect of players and get the most out of them because they know you have been watching them. We all know his CV is great, there are no problems over that. But what I’m concerned about is the obvious one, his commitment towards the cause," he added.

Writing in his column for the Irish Times following the 4-1 victory over the Faroe Islands, Kerr said that Trapattoni needs to 'communicate better'.

"He needs to go to see his players playing for their clubs so he can make the correct decisions about team selection. He is still, clearly, not making informed decisions and until he does change his approach it will continue to spiral out of control."

Meanwhile, former Ireland international Eamonn Dunphy believes that the FAI has made the wrong decision in backing Trapattoni, echoing the sentiments expressed by Eoin Hand and Brian Kerr.

"You cannot do this job unless you are attending matches and you are very familiar with the players," Dunphy told RTÉ. "The second argument is that he keeps falling out with players, particularly the gifted younger players."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

He doesn’t watch Premier League games, but stays in his Milan apartment with wife Paola, relying on reports from his London-based assistant Marco Tardelli, and clips from satellite TV and DVDs.

The original argument was that no foreign manager would ever go watch an Irish player in person, therefore we should only look at domestic managers.

Trap should have went to watch players more, but it's clear that he did go to games, so that argument falls apart.

I am certain that the right committed foreign manager would go watch Irish players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Did Trapattoni go to games? Yes he did.

Did he go to enough games? No he did not.

Can we extrapolate this behaviour into "all" foreign managers? No we cannot.

The key question to be answered would be - How attractive would the Irish job be seen to the currently unemployed management population, being aware of the pay grade?

In 2021, only two Premier League managers weren't in 7 figures (Sterling) The lower paid managers also get a "retention" bonus for maintaining top flight status for the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Ireland aren't a PL team and as such don't need a PL manager. Jesus, even our nearest neighbours with the biggest league in the world have a manager who hadn't managed in the PL for 7 years and he's their second most successful manager ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

The exact same accusation could be levelled at the Kenny out crew. Any improvements are dismissed, or down to someone else, the poor results at the start of his tenure are constantly brought as a stick to beat him with, despite the clearly improving results and performances, anyone who thinks he deserves more time, given those improvements, “worships” or “fawns over” him. As I’ve said before, it seems that context is for when we do well, not for when we don’t.

• Advertisement

Good man Jimmy. Makes up for a bad defensive mistake earlier in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He's coming along nicely since getting into the starting XI this season. Dyche rates him but he needed to leave before he became the next Kevin Long of being happy to collect a good wage as back up.

A rare appearance for Hourihane after being whipped in the first half in his last game. Gets a start with Norwood suspended. Egan and Stevens also starting in what could look like a move back to three at the back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Newcastle are now one of the richest clubs in the world. Hendrick is on his way out as are most of the others in the starting 11 today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

You’d wonder if Maguire is worth another shot, as a squad player at least. He is someone who can finish, given the chances, and those are rare enough for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Omobamdiele, Nathan Collins, and Smallbone all unused substitutes. Not great for Omobamdiele considering Norwich also have a new manager. Clark plays 90 minutes for Newcastle. No place in the Brighton squad for Connolly.

Obafemi came off the bench for Swansea. No place in the squad either for Parrott, presume he's injured. Bazunu reclaims his number 1 jersey for Portsmouth following international duty.

McGrath on the scoresheet for St. Mirren as Power, Ronan, McCarthy, and Shaughnessy all started.

Parrott was missing due to covid protocol. He'll be sitting on the bench for a bit as their front three has performed well over the last three games. Two 4-1 wins which he missed which he also missed and today's win.

Hopefully he gets a loan in January but Newcastle will probably have to cover most his wages. Could see someone like West Brom coming in for him given they've only three central midfielders.

Edit: speaking of West Brom they had Livermore sent off with a straight red, so Molumby will probably come in for the three games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Disappointed that Omobamidele didn't get a start. Hopefully he'll be given some opportunities by Smith in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

O’Dowda scored for Bristol today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Jamie McGraths goal today v Livingston was a beauty. About a minute in to the highlights https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/scottish-football/12473845/st-mirren-1-1-livingston

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He is listed as a striker on the team sheet as part of a front 2 with Ronan as the creative midfield.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ronan given a run in a friendly next year

O'Dowda had a decent game, some wonderful foot work to create a decent chance at the start of this video. Also combined well to score later. If he can stay fit and get a run of games, he easily has the ability to be a player who can feature for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H4ZJcSB8Aw

U21s are there to supplement the senior team. It's up to Crawford to find someone else to replace Kilkenny who should be in the seniors come March. Don't think Coventry is good enough and don't see where he'd fit in. I'd be having Smallbone up before him as he can play 6 or 10.

If you strengthen the U21s for their game in March do you leave them all there for the three games in June when the seniors have four games and should have an extended squad for the tight schedule and lack of post season training camp.

• Advertisement

I think Kilkenny needs to debut in the friendlies. He needs to a assessed for the later senior competitive games.

Conor Noß made his debut for B Mgladbach yesterday

Knight and Festy start but Kilkenny is on the bench. Was hoping to see Kilkenny Vs Knight in that midfield as the games live.

Knight opens the scoring for Derby from a corner. Completely unmarked and just breezes in between everyone to head home.

Thought Ebosele had a good game there. He has so much electric pace and causes defenders all sorts of problems when he runs at them. The only thing is that he looks like he would need to build some more fitness up, not the first time I've seen him struggle towards the end of a game

Would like to see Festy in with the seniors in March. He's going to develop into a very effective right sided player for us and gives you options in multiple positions.

Looked exposed a couple of times in the first half when Bournemouth got a 2v1 against him when Davis got away from Knight. Wouldn't be surprised to see Knight off in January and he'll definitely have interest. Can see Burnley trying to get in early to sign him up quick. Fits their new profile of talented young players with resale value.

Thought Bournemouth had rescued a point at the end when Kilkenny put the ball on a plate for Christie with that pin point ball but he headed over. Roos had his shot in the end covered but troubled him enough to not catch it cleanly. Hopefully he's back into the starting XI for Wednesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I really hope Knight doesn't go to Burnely from an Ireland pov. That's not a system that's comparable to how Ireland try to play now.

While I've been very critical of Hendrick in the past, we have seen lately what he can do on the ball for Ireland when encouarged and coached properly. I feel Knight's progression would suffer similarly under Dyche like Hendrick.

Ebosele has that raw pace and athleticism that's so badly needed in the modern game. I'm hoping he can do for Ireland what Lamptey does for Brighton long term. He's not long back from injury and has only a handful of first team appearances so his lack of stamina/fitness will improve soon the more he plays.

The Irish u21s rested him to help him be ready for Derbys game which is good joined up thinking by both parties.

Rooney has blooded the lad Watson too. He's doing a great job for Ireland at Derby!

It's great to see him amongst the goals, but the defending for that goal was comically bad. Ferguson is probably ok to play out the rest of the season at this level, but next year he'd really need to be tested a bit harder, assuming he carries on in the same vein. He would be crazy young, but I wonder would Brighton consider sending him out on loan next year? A season long loan is probably out of the question given he'll still be 17. but maybe they could find a club near Brighton and give him three months to get a few games under his belt. Even if it was League 2, he'd still get more out of that than playing against trees in the reserves.

Start for Molumby. Big chance for him tonight to stake a claim in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

What is going on with Parrott after a promising start to the season? Seems to be out of the picture for their league games not even on the bench.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement