Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Honestly, how many "stark warnings" can come from the HSE and / or Holohan... just **** off, we know its grim, stop trying to pile the fear on to people... silly c*nts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

People wanting the children of unvaxxed people to be effectively punished???

Jesus Christ these people need to get a big mirror and take a long hard look at themselves!! Honestly.

Is that what this is doing to people? Honestly these people are just a few steps away from setting up the camps at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

After 1st dose i only had a sore arm. 2nd dose was quite early, 18days after first, had a few drinks after, so felt like sh*t the next day, high temp. My 12yo got a 2nd jab 21days after 1st, no temp, just a sore arm. Was is worth it? Well, im enjoying my last days in Lanzarote so f#ck yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The oul stay in a lockdown to avoid a lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

People claiming that the November case numbers as per modelling are incorrect need to consider that the positivity rate suggests that we're missing huge numbers of them.

And on a personal level, I was in London at the weekend and took a few antigen tests through he week because of it. I tested positive on Wednesday and took a second just in case. Again, positive. If I hadn't been away I wouldn't have been testing and wouldn't have even noticed. I only have my PCR this morning as it was the quickest I could get.

The bottom line is that you can't dismiss modelling on official numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That sounds like a whole lot of guesswork. Case numbers are not the problem anyway as we know, although getting them down a good bit certainly means potentially fewer in hospital. What's annoying people about the current models is how the most pessimistic outcomes are being used to alarm people into changing behaviour.

Genuine question here, how many would have ended up in icu anyway even if vaccinated?

If we have roughly 50% in icu with vaccines which obviously means due to other underlying conditions the vaccine didnt keep them out of icu, how many of the unvaxxed are in the same boat?

As i said its a genuine question i havent seen or missed an answer to.

Theres this simple believe amongst many that if all of that 50% were vaxxed they wouldnt be in icu which is patently not the case but how many likely would because of underlying conditions etc or maybe this information isnt out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

My huge concern is that this can't even become endemic here the HSE is so bad

Other countries will deal with it year round going forward but here I don't think we can

And we can't afford another lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

UK new hospital data out. Older people still bearing the worst of it but hopefully the next reports shows boosters turning things around them.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

The bottom line is you can’t dismiss how negligible this virus is to the vast majority of the population, as you just explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Good question

Before people were vaccinated, vulnerable people required ICU treatment.

Those unvaccinated in ICU are unhealthy & vulnerable, even with the vaccine a number of those will end up in ICU and hospital on top of the 50% vaccinated already in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I haven't seen anyone say none of them would be in icu.

You just work out the rate at which vaccinated end up in icu and apply that to the unvaccinated number and that's how many would potentially be in icu if they were all vaccinated.

Don't know how many times I have read nonsense posts about how if we just did the "right thing" and behaved there would be no lockdowns or restrictions....

I'd love for someone to actually explain what that is? Should we not go to the businesses that were reopened?

Should we not go on holidays? Etc

We can avoid lockdown if we just essentially lock ourselves down and don't live?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I did the numbers the other day. If everyone was vaccinated, the ICU numbers would be 55.5% of today's figure. Abut 66/67 people. And there would be maybe one or two people in ICU with no underlying conditions. Based on known rates, that number in ICU with no underlying conditions is currently about 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's a great post talking about something I explicitly didn't say. No, we can't force people to be jabbed. And we shouldn't.

But we can treat them differently for their bad choices in the interests of public health. There's nothing ethically wrong with that.

Good point.

We know that around 50% in ICU are fully vaccinated. So that's about 60.

Of the unvaccinated, we just can't say. But even if it was as low as 20%, that would be another 25 or so.

Basically, you'd still have hysteria if everyone was vaccinated. This is not going to end anytime soon until we accept the situation and deal with it.

This is the thing. 60 people in icu vaccinated and 60 not.

Its not simply a case of those 60 wouldnt be in icu if vaccinated which is the rhetoric being put out there.

Would half of them still be in icu anyway?

I reckon a decent amount would still be there. And even if the ICU number was 70/80, I don't think it would make a major difference.

We'd still have all the same stuff coming out of government, NPHET and the media.

At the rate we are going, I just don't see what will be different next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

UK adding the booster or 'dose no. 3' to their vaccine passport for travel- How long before it happens here and the divide and conquer campaign starts against those selfish un-boosted? The conversion of conspiracy theory to fact continues.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement

Reports that Austria may be heading to a full national lock down from Monday

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be honest, I'm feeling a bit low about all this current wave and the restrictions we are about to enter into, which will no doubt get worse. I think they are going to let Xmas pass, then shut us down again.

I agree with the vaccine etc, not an anti vaxxer or anything like that, but I don't see an end to this at all. We are one of the most vaccinated countries I the world, yet it's not helping. I'd say it's safe to say we are heading for severe lockdown again come 2022.

We were told once vaccinated it would all change, we'd be back to normal. But with only 7% of adults not vaccinated, we still aren't back to normal. So when will we ever be back to normal? There's not much more we can do at this stage.

I'll take a booster without question, but even if all 93% of those vaccinated take one, we won't go back to what it was like pre-covid. I think covid is going to be a topic of conversation and be in the media for many years to come, and it's depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Austrian Chancellor has announced legally mandatory vaccination

- Camille Paglia

What do they do put you in prison or something if you refuse ? Unreal, totally lost the plot those lot.

- Camille Paglia

We are living through an extraordinary period of time. I don't understand the world we live in today in so many ways. what the hell will it be like in 20 or 30 years.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

vaccination was made mandatory in the 1940s for smallpox, it’s hardly groundbreaking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Worse.

Restrictions due to the climate crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

smallpox is not comparable to covid

smallpox is fatal to around 30% of people, covid is fatal to <2%, overwhelmingly those with pre-existing conditions also.

And finally, covid will never be eradicated like smallpox as its far too infectious as immunity through infection or vaccination does not prevent the spread.

• Advertisement

I'm no expert but wasn't smallpox a much more deadly disease than covid and wasn't the subsequent vaccine sterilising.

Advertisement