Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'd say take a look on BRSGolf in the open competitions section. Looks like there are plenty of options available on there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i think you’ll end up realising that they are all much the same, at least the decent ones are!

best tip is to make sure you have some water and towel in the bag to wash and wipe off your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭coillcam

Booked in for the K Club Palmer North open. I got the 2nd last spot on the tee sheet. Really excited to test my abilities on a big course, should be an awesome day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I see the off topic thread is drifting back on topic again.

MODS!

😉

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Boards.ie, GDPR and all our data is now hosted in Canada...

I must admit, I know very little about data protection but the fact that all our data is now hosted outside of Ireland and that we were never alerted to this before it happened is more than a little disconcerting. Particularly if you read some of the posts made by people who seem to be quite knowledgeable in the thread. The lack of responses by the boards.ie staff to the issues raised irks me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Has anyone else lost touch with the forums they used to follow occasionally maybe once a week since the new website went live? I just cant be arsed to navigated to them anymore. I miss the quick links to the forums we followed when you click on your avatar i in the top right. Or have i just not found where the new list is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I dont even look at the golf forum on my mobile. just CBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would agree, it's woeful on mobile, so hard to find anything. On discord and Reddit alot more at the minute, hopefully boards improves soon before it dies.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hardly anyone here that got the Independent paper today with a unique code on the golf section?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

So you win the captains prize and you are called upon to give a speech.

Oh Sh1t - you freeze and a jumbled lot of words come from your mouth and you get a sympathetic applause. - If only you could lose that fear of speaking.

Toastmasters now have a dedicated online club for golf enthusiasts

https://www.facebook.com/Toastmasters4Golf (next meeting this Friday)

It also has an attached golf society.

Does anyone have the dates which golf was closed over the last 2 years? Or know where I can get them. Didn’t want to start a new thread so said here is as good as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

First closure from 25th March 2020 to 18th May 2020

Second closure from 22nd October 2020 to 1st December 2020

Third closure from 30th December 2020 to 26th April 2021

That's about as accurately as I could get them based on emails I received outlining the various closures and re-openings.

Thank you Kindly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Not exactly off topic, but doesnt deserve it's own thread..... does anybody know if membership at Elmgreen includes balls at the range?

The website says membership includes "Access to 24-bay driving range." It doesn't specify anything about balls so I don't know if they're included.

Or is that wishful thinking?

membership came with 50 euro range credit when i renewed so ask in club shop

Thanks. I'll ask them when I'm in next.

You say you've renewed so you're obviously happy there. Would you recommend it? Never been a member of a club before so I'm pretty clueless about it. Price seems reasonable enough and it's handy for me to get to aswell.

closest to me and always in good condition

can be hard to get a tee time early morning is biggest issue

Grand, thanks for the info.

I just gave them a call and membership is at capacity for the 5 day full membership which is what I'm after. A shame really, but I'll go onto a waiting list for when one becomes available. Hopefully not too long of a wait.

Post edited by El Guapo! on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Yeah Elmgreen has about a 40% turn over so never waiting more than a couple weeks to get in

€50 credit was removed last year and is been replaced with 2 free lessons with Graham Sweeney

do they ever wonder why the turn over is so high.

When I spoke to them a few weeks ago I was told it could be around February by the time a slot becomes available for me for the 5 day membership.

I was told I could get a 7 day no problem but it's an extra 300 quid and a bit more than I wanted to spend.

They also offered me 5 day in Corballis which gives reciprocal playing rights in Elmgreen but it doesnt give you access to tee sheets etc.

A real shame as I'm looking to join asap and Elmgreen suits perfectly.

I also asked about the credit and was told they don't offer any. No mention of lessons or anything. Funny enough though, that would've been perfect as I just paid for a lesson with Graham yesterday!

The offer may only be for renewing members and in part from the club which is flush with cash and different entity to who you are paying your membership fees (who are essentially Carr)

Graham pays Carr to be allowed give lessons there. But he also works for Carr in the shop but less and less these days

The club looks like it has 15 spare spaces BUT see the cash hungry statement above

They dont care. Tried my best to change it but gave up

Lets just say the run they had in All Ireland 4ball final will probably never happen again

I'm always amazed by how the off topic thread falls so quickly back on topic 🤔

Someone might start to think we were all obsessed with golf...

Yeah that seems to be the case alright.

I'm not even that interested in any special offers/incentives. I just want to get my membership sorted. The guy from Carr was trying to push the 7 day on me but I explained I really had no need for it and I didn't really have the extra cash for it. He said "the committee would kill him" if he allowed in another 5 day membership as they are already over-subscribed.

Looks like I'll just be waiting around until a slot becomes available. Possibly late January or early February according to him.

Haven't been following it closely so likely have a very wrong set of details, but it seems like an absolute joke to me. Seems to be some fairly overt racism at play.

Might have some details wrong but did i see that they are using a technicality so that they even managed to get a charge for carrying a gun thrown out, because, what, the gun had too long a barrel?

The kid walked down a street openly carrying a gun and killed and they manage to drop a charge for carrying a gun? It might be legal to carry it, but thats the part thats wrong there.

System seems to be broken over there. As i saw a few saying...if it was a group of white people protesting/rioting, however you want to describe it, and a black kid walked down the street carrying an AR-15 and shot someone, it would be a very different case.

Actually, it wouldn't likely be a case because the black kid would be dead

America is a mental place. You can walk down a street, openly carrying a gun, shoot 2 people dead and have a chance of walking out of a courtroom on self defence (again this is just what I'm gathering about the overall case, i haven't actuallu been following the testimony, etc... just random bits that pop up on twitter)

• Advertisement

I was joking!!

But under US law it should never have made court as it is clearly self defense and completely allowable under US law. Everything gets politicised.

If anyone should been tried it is probably his mother who dropped her son into a riot (not a demonstration as the left likes to portray) with a semi automatic weapon

Left Wing: Lock him up

Right Wing: release him now. he is a hero

Normal people: Why is that in court as no law was broken. USA laws have some serious holes

The Shane Gillis bit on NBC mom vs NBC dad and CNN mom vs CNN dad will go down as one of the funniest and starkest comedy bits ever. People really should watch Shane Gillis special on Youtube

Advertisement