Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Awesome indeed! Any indications of how often they provide updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

I installed this on my PC and when I went to choose my car, I noticed it doesn't have MY21 in the list! It only shows MY19, MY20 and MY22!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If you click though them, they all are the gen5 widescreen. All the head units ate the same. Only when you go to my 19 it changes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Going on the previous updates it's fairly regularly. There has been one in March, Aug and now Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

Does this update allow to you display something in the far right third of the screen when using Android Auto? I understand we lose the 3 way split in the standard menus, but might be worth it for the improved Android Auto. Also is it possible to have full screen Google maps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, you can have something in the rightmost third of the screen with Android Auto. Google Maps runs in Android Auto though, so not really understanding your second question. Anyway the answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No such thing as an MY21. A 2022 Niro is an MY20.

Cheers. Sorry, for the second part I meant can Google maps in Android Auto be set to full screen rather than just 2/3. Not really important but would be nice to have the option also.

OK, I didn't know that. On motorcheck.ie my car is listed as a MY21 model!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

There really wasn't any change between the MY20 which first arrived here in mid-March 2020, and the model which you would drive off the forecourt today. The only possible difference is the logo badge.

• Advertisement

OK cheers. I've read on some other eNiro forums that the MY22 software update is fine to use as well. Might try that one.

I installed the MY22 version. No problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

Hi guys, new to this forum.

I've searched through it and can't seem to find out whether or not the MY22 eNiro comes with a heat pump. Can anybody clarify this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

Does not come with a Heat Pump - changes for 2022 in Ireland are minor, at least according the Kia sales folks i talked to. Would be great if it did, but you'd also expect a price bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Just came on here to ask the exact same question about the heat pump😀

Anyone know if the quoted WLTP range is for the model with the heat pumps? Any stories on here about a 500km range?

I was almost buying a new Leaf but am now looking at the e-Niro. I prefer the Leaf to drive but it looks like the e-Niro could have up to 100km more range.

Well during the summer, 100% charge got me 480km range. Now I wouldn't be driving on the motorway much

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I've no experience of a heat pump so can't comment on the difference but if it's of any use I get from the Kildalton exit on M9 to Aviva, with another hour of crawling through Dublin in the evening, and back again without needing to charge (albeit there's like 30 or 40km left!), in Eco mode but cruise control at 110 or 120km on motorway with very low heat on. The rapid charger on Kilcullen is great if it's really needed

What sort of a distance is that, Darren? And is it in colder weather?

The reason I'm asking about the heatpump is obviously it'll make a big difference in the winter months. A recent Youtube vid compared 2 ID3s on the same journey, one with a heatpump and one without. There was a difference of 9%, which is not inconsiderable, and would bring the range back into Leaf territory (which has a heatpump).

Really can't understand why the eNiros sold here don't have a heatpump, wouldn't add much to the overall cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Minifox

I'm not an expert but going on what I've seen in a few YouTube videos, using climate control only takes a few kms off the range, in spite of lack of Heat Pump. What the eNiro does have is a battery heating system which apparently lessens negative effect on range of cold weather.

One thing almost all reviews of eNiro I've read and watched agree on is that the range is excellent and closely approximates to manufacturer's claimed range.

You might enjoy a video on You Tube from CarWow comparing 6 electric cars and conducting a range test. It includes the eNiro and the Leaf. I don't think I can post links on Baords but just search YouTube for Car Wow and 'We drove these electric cars until they DIED!'

But like I said, I'm not an expert, so I'm open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

I do regular motorway run , glanmire cork to rathfarnham shopping center .

I just set cruise control to the speed limit plus 3 or 4 to allow for gps speed .

its 245 km distance

a/c on , everything on .

Starting at 100 % battery in summer I’d have about 33% battery left , in winter about 20% .

last Monday’s run consumption was just under 20 kwh/100 km .though conditions were good .

id see 450 km + tipping around on local roads which have 100 km limits

no heat pump in current model .

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, lads.

@ Tollot "Starting at 100 % battery in summer I’d have about 33% battery left , in winter about 20%", thats a 13% difference, certainly not inconsiderable and probably brings it back towards the Leaf range.  

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bshaftoe

I am hoping that preaconditioning the car at home while plugged before starting your trip would make up for at least some of that difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Minifox

The Car Wow test I mentioned found a 410km range for the eNiro and a 334km range for the Leaf.

That was at 7 degrees and mainly motorway. They were using the heating. At 7 degrees you'd want to be!

Just keep in mind that the difference between winter and summer range is not all due to the cabin heating (regardless of whether a heat pump is present or not). A colder battery is less efficient, the colder air is more resistant to the car cutting through it, and the road is more likely to be wet which also affects tyre rolling efficiency. Therefore, even if you drive with the heat totally off in winter you would still expect a drop in range compared to summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

T'is about 330km, according to Google Maps. 90% of that is on M9 and Naas Road

Thanks again for all the replies, lads, some good information there.

I placed an order today for a new e-Niro, delivery next February. It's a fab car but I found it much noiser than my gen1 Leaf. Range, however, trumps noise so I've opted for the Kia.

In truth, its a better buy in so many ways in addition to the range. IMHO Nissan dropped the ball with the "new" Leaf in 2018. In reality, it was a refried version of the original. Nothing wrong with that but the competition is so much better in most ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

Same here - In the February delivery queue now I've finally bit the bullet.

Just to reassure you, I think the heat pump is mitigated a lot for most people by the heated steering wheel and the heated seats. They can't run off the heat pump in any car, and are much more 'efficient' at least if you can get away with only using them most of the time.

If you were buying the car second hand, or it was a lower range car I think the heat pump would be more critical as you are more likely to be tight on range when you need it. If it was an option for us, probably a €1.5k+ option, it probably wouldn't add much to the sell on price as most buyers wouldn't value it.

Generally boo to Kia for limiting our options, but still looking forward to it as a great package.

Yes, I think you are correct and the heat pump question is not really that much of an issue.

Coming from a 30kwh Leaf, every electron counts. My Leaf has a heatpump (some don't) but even then I would be careful on the longer journeys. With the 64kwh available on the eNiro (vs 56kwh available on the 62kwh Leaf), this really isn't a problem.

That being said, I would prefer a heatpump rather than the 11kw AC charger included in the newer eNiros. While it probably didn't cost Kia a huge amount, the 11kw charging has limited appeal IMHO.

I was never so pleased to get the 11kW charger. 11kW added charging on AC in the same time as only 7kW would have been added. So I get 5.5 in the car when 30 mins in Lidl - that's worth doing now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just wondering does anyone else have this issue.

Every time I stop at a particular intersection, where you invariably have to sit through a few cycles of the lights, after a few minutes there is a beep and the display indicates that the Forward Collision Assist system has been disabled. It happens every time!

It's not the end of the world - there doesn't seem to be any real issue with the FCA but it's annoying as you can only reenable the system by stopping and turning off the engine.

Any thoughts? FWIW the intersection in question is Griffith Ave and the airport road. Only happens when heading west, facing the former Whitehall Garda station. There's a communications mast there, possible connection?

Apologies if this has been asked before - it's a long thread and boards is not as searchable as it used to be!

Advertisement