Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire Kids and Brexit

Options
  • 28-01-2021 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    This lockdown is pushing us to the limit.. so I've finally agreed to get a Fire Kids Edition Tablet for the kids...

But my wife heard rumblings about the Amazon Fire Kids not working fully or changing because of brexit? Anyone know anything about that?

I was then thinkin maybe I could order it off Amazon.de ? But would I have massive hassle with changing it to english etc?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Haven't noticed any difference in my Amazon firestick anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Sorry I meant the Kids Edition Tablet 8"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Amazon have stifled us (Ireland) for tablet, fire sticks etc. Cant order from Germany. You may be able to order via parcel motel via the UK site but you can expect to pay vat and import duty. Will knock the price up quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

vidapura wrote: »
    Hi,
    This lockdown is pushing us to the limit.. so I've finally agreed to get a Fire Kids Edition Tablet for the kids...

But my wife heard rumblings about the Amazon Fire Kids not working fully or changing because of brexit? Anyone know anything about that?

I was then thinkin maybe I could order it off Amazon.de ? But would I have massive hassle with changing it to english etc?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

I had this problem. It came from Amazon UK.

I just gave up on the Amazon Kids sub and downloaded Google Player and the YouTube Kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

GBX wrote: »
    Amazon have stifled us (Ireland) for tablet, fire sticks etc. Cant order from Germany. You may be able to order via parcel motel via the UK site but you can expect to pay vat and import duty. Will knock the price up quite a bit.

Parcel Motel no longer take deliveries to their Northern Ireland address, I'm afraid

https://parcelmotel.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360016744918-FAQ-Brexit-Update-Virtual-UK-Address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

GBX wrote: »

Parcel motel via Northern Ireland to here is currently suspended

Hummm.. thanks everyone..
    Not sure why I couldn't order from Germany??

Is there something to do with the software/games that they won't work outside UK ?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hummm.. thanks everyone..
    Not sure why I couldn't order from Germany??

Is there something to do with the software/games that they won't work outside UK ?

As far as I know it's the "kids" UI is only available in the UK. I have a kids fire for my daughter and I had to set my amazon account address to UK instead of Ireland to get it to work. I bought before brexit. No issues with charging etc though.

Ok, right..
    Thanks for that.. I'll think about it a bit more..
    TBH I'm not 100% sold on the idea of giving him a tablet.. getting it back off him would be a struggle...
    So if I can't get the remote controls via the app to limit the usage it wouldn't be a runner...

Thanks again..

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Amazon kids + only for UK customers so you would need your address on Amazon set to UK for it to work. I had this done prior to January so not sure if can be done now. I also Google family link installed on a couple of tablets for kids and it is very good. You can control everything from what app are allowed to time on it to time it will work in mornings and same in evenings. Highly recommend.

• Advertisement

Oh, Google Family Link looks great..
    Thank You!

That opens up a lot of possibilites.. not stuck with Amazon tablets so..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Oh, Google Family Link looks great..
    Thank You!

That opens up a lot of possibilites.. not stuck with Amazon tablets so..

My kids have devices from different operating systems. IOS, Android and Windows.
    I control the screen time on windows devices and xbox using Microsoft family safety app. This does location services on their phones as well and app usage limits including blocking apps and websites on IOS and android.
    I do have kids Fire Tablets pre Jan and use my Amazon account to limit them. AFAIK the new amazon tablets do allow parental controls on the tablets and controls in your account without having the kids app. Great tablets for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

hatchman wrote: »
    Amazon kids + only for UK customers so you would need your address on Amazon set to UK for it to work. I had this done prior to January so not sure if can be done now. I also Google family link installed on a couple of tablets for kids and it is very good. You can control everything from what app are allowed to time on it to time it will work in mornings and same in evenings. Highly recommend.

Do you need to have a prime acc to have content for the kids app's?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Do you need to have a prime acc to have content for the kids app's?

No I cancelled prime and kids + sub still ok think you get a reduced rate for kids + when u have prime. I cancelled prime and kids + together and then start kids + sub again and got first month free.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Just an update from myself in case others have the same problem.

I purchased two Kindle Fire for my kids, one in 2019 and one in 2020. Both had free subscription for a year. At that time of course I used the parcel motel address because of the location restrictions. My problem started when the subscription expired and the kids couldn't access their content anymore and I had trouble re-newing the subscription because of location. What worked for me was to set as the default address the old Parcel Motel address (Parcel Motel PM1997873, 1A McKinney Road,NEWTOWNABBEY, Co Antrim BT36 4PE, United Kingdom) AND use a VPN (In my case I used the NordVPN) with a UK server. After doing these I was able to see the renewal button on this page https://www.amazon.co.uk/ftu/home/ref=uk_ffk_surl_main2. I put the order and the tablets updated automatically a few minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Conn2012

@unseen do you have to use the VPN only to re-new or also ongoing use / streaming of tablet with kids+?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Hi folks, I'm looking at Fire Kids tablet for the little one for Christmas. Looks like it ticks a lot of boxes around durability etc. but I'm finding it hard to determine if Amazon Kids + works in Ireland or not at the moment. Apart from this thread I haven't seen much discussion on it.

Anyone here know if it works or how to get it to work. I have Amazon primary address set as Parcel Motel but not sure if this will suffice to get it working here and if it does will I need VPN the whole time for her to stream content . Any advice welcome

The apps and games work without a VPN, the videos will need a VPN.

Thanks for the quick reply. I presume I'll only need VPN for the Kids Plus videos and that Disney or Netflix will work fine without it?

Their down to 90 euro in Argos at the moment and don't want to spend a lot on a tablet she'll only need for messing around on so it seems a decent option

Thanks for the quick reply. I presume I'll only need VPN for the Kids Plus videos and that Disney or Netflix will work fine without it?

Yes. 🙂

• Advertisement

Excellent thanks again. Think Ill go with that so. Doesnt sound like too much of a hassle or too restrictive

Arghhh... they are out of stock in argos.. drat!!

Crap - stuck in a meeting and had planned on ordering afterwards. Dont understand why you can buy through Argos but Amazon won't ship them here.

Pure frustrating alright...

You can buy em on currys.ie too.. but not for 85 bucks.. god no.. more like €169

You can buy an 8 inch Fire Tablet and the kids case separately on Amazon and they will deliver that to Ireland. Not sure what the difference is if any though

Well.. yeh don't get the kids software I presume?

Its the bit where it auto manages the usage hours and all that that is of interest to me.

If I don't have to be the bad guy and take the tablet back off No1Son then great!

the ordinary fire tablets are wicked cheap on argos...

Just wondering if there is any good parental control software that I could just load onto one of them myself??

free or otherwise?

I did a bit of reading on them earlier and it seems like you can set up kids account and limit accordingly. I think the Kids + sub is what they would mostly use in the kids version and you can sub to that on any of their tablets I believe. I'm going to leave it a day or 2 and see if Argos get kids version in again and if not I'll probably just get the normal 8" one and the kids case. You miss out on the 2yr warranty though with the regular tablet

Yeah,

I was lookin there at parental controls and apparently there is Kaspersky Kids and a few others that are either cheap or free.

We've a friend in london coming home for christmas so we might just order to ship to her either...

• Advertisement

Ok, so our Kids Fire arrived with Auntie Trish from London...

The Amazon Kids + subscription won't activate tho..

Do i need to install a VPN and have it on the whole time?

Its just we have crappy Imagine broadband and VPNs tend to slow things down..

Advertisement