Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Plan or Starlink

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I can't wait for the day I hang up my imagine boots. Im paying for a three back up wireless connection for the just in case moments.

If either of these options weren't working for me I'd probably go with starlink. But I'm fortunate that my local masts are not over prescribed. But I'm dying to get away from it and get a fibre connection I will celebrate with many beers on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭lukin

I have no doubt it is secure, I am going to wait for the pipe adapter to be delivered though, I am a bit paranoid about the dish falling off and getting smashed to pieces. I am still waiting for the pipe adapter, I have seen a few people on reddit saying that this item is slow to be delivered. I kind of need it asap because my dish is still sitting in the lawn. It's not in any danger but it's not ideal leaving it there for too long a time.

I saw the pipe adapter advertised on a US site but it is twice the price Starlink have it for. It looks the same as the Starlink one. I am half-tempted to buy it but they don't deliver outside the US or Canada. I have a virtual US address with AddresPal (I have never used it). I could use that to get it but I heard of a few people getting charge an astronomical price when they picked up items from the Post Office that they had delivered to a virtual US address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭lukin

Do you mean by "orders of magnitude less bandwidth and more latency" that the Starlink speeds will decrease the more users it has? Musk says he is going to have 42000 satellites in use eventually. Will that not spread the load? I know 42000 over the whole world may not be much.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

No, I just mean that as a transmission medium, fibre can carry orders of magnitude more data with orders of magnitude less latency than any wireless link. There is no contest and there never will be. That's not to say that wireless links can't provide high data rates and low latency; they can, but fibre will always be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

In the future, all sat being launched by Starlink and other LEO broadband operators will incorporate inter sat laser links which can move data much faster than can terrestrial fibre over longer distances because signals travel faster through space than through fibre, fibre cables don't usually travel in straight lines between destinations unlike between satellites, and hops between satellites are much longer than between fibre boosters. Over longer distances, these gives sats a latency advantage over fibre which people like high-frequency stock traders would gladly pay a premium for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Well no sign of the National Broadband plan around here (which I would prefer to have) so to answer my own question nearly two years later.

Starlink rescued me first

Interesting reading all the nay sayers saying only suitable for the congo basin, ships etc and how we should all wait for the NBP.

On the contrary its an excellent interim solution while we wait for the NBP to muddle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭oppiuy

I haven't measured it .. its well documented its about 100 watts .. not great but a small price to pay.

yeah i have Three mobile BB. Works well during the day but the evening can be hit or miss. Starlink is under consideration but the monthly cost aswell this on top means i'll hold on to what i have until price decreases. There's also the chance that as more people move onto Starlink locally, i'll see increased speeds. So Even without getting starlink, the option it provides helps overall

Speaking as a desperate customer for whom the NBP won't connect for at least 3 years maybe 5

thank you Starlink for rescuing us from sh1tty 4G that went to 1mbs after 5pm.

Just looking through the threads no-one ever said it was a panacea for urban broadband or for anything for that matter, in fact its been well documented from the very start that its for rural edge cases.

I will say its not just for the congo basin and it copes with heavy rain quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I'm pro-NBP, but I'm recommending to any of my friends who'll listen to go with Starlink if they're 2+ years away from their currently estimated NBP connection timeframe. Will be fascinating to see how far they can push the starlink tech (and what price it will be once the NBP rollout is complete).

my survey dates is planned for 2025- 2026. Using Three mobile at the moment. Looked at star link but the cost per month with energy usage and the initial outlay it just doesn't seem worth in. Invested in in ponyting mimo antenna. Have it in the attic at the moment but max speeds now 150mb download and average 40-60 even at peak times. Delighted with that and everything is stable

yes, I try not to pay attention to some of the wilder claims .. but my 300mbs at peak time from starlink is all I need for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I'm very pro NBI (or at least FTTH rollout) but ive been on Starlink for the last few months now.

Speeds average 200Mb down and 35 up. Ping is usually around the 35- 50ms zone.

Facebook services are unusable on it. That includes mainly Facebook and Instagram

Id highly recommend it if you can afford/justify the cost but at 100 euro a month it is crazy expensive and that honestly is the major negative.

Ignore the likes that say starlink is the future on here as its widely known a number of testers are not even being charged by starlink as they are "testing" for them.

Interesting .. I dont use any facebook services (save whatsapp on my phone ) but I do run video conferencing (teams, zoom) over a work VPN practically all day on starlink and its been very stable.

Can never find the threads where people say this : "Ignore the likes that say starlink is the future on here as its widely known a number of testers are not even being charged by starlink as they are "testing" for them."

Most people would go FTTH instead of starlink if they could .. for a start its cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

That's interesting about the Facebook services? Is that a known issue? Did you dig any little bit to see if FB resources are loading more slowly (using the likes of the browser developer tools).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Great unbiased discussion on Starlink/NBP. I too am in a 2025/26 DA, currently with a small WISP at €35 pm but they are shutting down next June due to the encroachment of fibre into its service area from eir and NBI.

Starlink is a great stopgap option for those waiting for the NBP, WFH etc. and would have no problem recommending it to people in those situations but with a caveat, the initial outlay of €660 and €99 pm thereafter is way too expensive in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

They have acknowledged it on one of their FAQs that some services don't run well on it and they are working on it, but it looks to be an ongoing problem since day 1 from trawling through reddit.

Only seems to impact Facebook and Instagram, I've had no issues with anything else to be fair. Issue occurs on the web browser too though. Some say opening specific ports help but you need your own router for this. Something il check on my own at some point.

The way I'm currently trying to justify the price is that its costing me 45 euro extra a month vs what I would be paying for much slower speeds on a wisp. I need the upload and unlimited cap it gives. The hope is they eventually drop the price of the monthly sub to something more reasonable. Im 2025/26 on the NBP too so at least 5 more years of this.

Plenty of NBP detractors on here. Messr1 or something is regularly on about it. A good few on Twitter too. As you say, no idea why looking at cost alone never mind how much better FTTH is, but again if you're nor getting charged by starlink then id be hesitant to trust them.

I also use VPN and zoom etc for work and it's been perfect bar the sporadic outages from time to time. It also held up very well with multiple downloads and call happening at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fracking Cylon

I'm with Imagine since 2016 and had an excellent experience up until a month ago. Considering starlink, but we do use the land line number with imagine a bit, we're not in a great area for mobile coverage.

From what ibhave read, starlink doesn't provide a voip service. Had anyone here got a land line service working through starlink and who is it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

You could use wifi calling on an EIR postpay sim as an alternative. You'd have an 085 number but instead of your smart phone pinging the nearest 2/3/4/5G tower it would be connected to your home wifi from Starlink. The call voice traffic would then routed to the LEO satellites overhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fracking Cylon

Imagine replaced my antena and router and it solved my issue, so not looking at starlink, for now. Have to say I'm impressed by what I read about it, except for the price! Game changer for people that don't have an alternative though.

Advertisement