Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

RTE sends out a notification about Austria.

RTE just can't stay calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Vaccines are why things are pretty much* normal here now. We've the ~9th highest covid rate per capita in the world, but only the ~49th highest death rate. We have almost the lowest case fatality rate.

Gibraltar's population is about that of Leitrim - or a third of the number of people posters were scoffing at yesterday being used as a statistic from the app to represent just Ireland as a whole.

Singapore's death per capita/case fatality rates are broadly the same as ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Imagine being legally forced to take an injection like a farm animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

It could easily be found to be in breach of human rights laws, if it's found that interference with bodily integrity is not totally justified in this instance.

The European Court in Strasbourg could order Austria to moderate their policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

One of the simplest most accurate summaries of whats going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

This is the thing!

The smallpox vaccine actually worked in eradicating the bloody thing!

Get a vaccine every 6 months to maybe have a chance to live close to a pre covid normal lifestyle for a month or so every year doesnt have the same ring to it does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How enforceable is mandatory vaccination? What are we talking here, holding people down, putting them into enforced isolation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Theres 2 and a half months before mandatory vaccination comes in. Alot can happen between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Imagine being legally forced to be a prisoner in your own home only allowed out for some shopping and a run.

You'd have to fear the path that we are going down. In the space of 2 days I have read that Singapore are going to introduce a charge for the unvaccinated in hospitals and now Austria saying hold my beer while they announce mandatory vaccination.

We already have evidence that vaccines won't stop cases and won't stop all hospitalisations/deaths. Who or what will be targeted next? The world is panicking and quickly losing the plot at this point.

It's anyone's guess how crazy things will get from here.

Will anyone try prohibition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Human Sacrifice, dogs and cats living together.

Mass hysteria!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I'd say a lot of European countries didnt want to be the 1st to introduce mandatory vacccines.

Now Austria has its opened it up for the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I wouldn't hang around to find out. Objectors should seek asylum in countries with less harsh laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

It is the political fallout that could get very interesting or even dangerous.

You might be able to force people to take the vaccine against their wishes, but they won't like you for it.

If anyone was concerned about the rise of the far right before, by doing this you may be giving them an instant (and quite large) voting bloc in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Generally i would be totally against mandatory vaccines.

However if i believed for one minute that mandatory vaccines would end all this i would say, yep absolutely get it done but we know now it wont!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Oh i agree. I still think it could be coming down the tracks. Even when Covid becomes endemic it will cause huge issues here. Especially in Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

I agree with `lots of stupid people`! Reckless you say, we have been the most compliant with the longest restrictions in Europe and probably the highest uptake of vaccines in Europe! We are really truly f**king stupid if we tolerate another round of restrictions or even entertain lockdowns in this country! The astronomical bill already (and before anybody chimes in with its about health, it is yes, but with no income no expenditure, no health service!). Our religious cult like obsession with Covid when at least efforts are being made worldwide to try and move on from it! How anyone can defend the buffoons running the country is the height of stupidity at this point:

1. Lockdowns/restrictions for so long and mixed messaging from NPHET / Government and humans do exactly what humans do! How in the name of all that's holy do we not have a proper group with complete understanding of human behavior at this point!
    2. We have been in a constant state of hyper vigilance heading for the bones of 2 years now! That in itself is psychologically draining! If NPHET were any good, they would know this and should have known i.e. we should have opened in Summer but didn`t fully for the 2nd year in a row. This was the height of stupidity!
    3. We have people who swallow everything that government tells them despite all the bullshit deflection tactics e.g., blame unvaccinated, pregnant women, hospitality, teens, curtain twitching at young people going to nightclubs when NPHET refused to entertain antigen testing or deal with capacity issues properly! Utter stupidity, when we have Paul Reid saying recently that increasing ICU capacity wouldn`t necessarily help! The only reason we are in restrictions or lockdowns is because our health service hasn`t the capacity and for no other reason.
    4. I don`t deny Covid and am vaxxed but have despised the ultra conservative myopic almost religious like response in this country that has divided us as a people, turned us against each other, it is utterly wrong despite the funding our taxes pay the powers that be to sort out a shambolic health service.
    5. We have a cohort of msm personalities who have the **** frightened out of the country, with a percentage of the population who listen to them completely, having the personalities fears constantly projected onto their audience demanding authoritarian type stuff!

An adult conversation is very long overdue at this point! If you are afraid, stay at home! If you see a crowded place and are uncomfortable, don`t go! As I said before we shouldn`t have the likes of Tony Holohan, Paul Reid at all micromanaging our lives! Get to f**k off the airwaves and sort out the health service, pay staff properly and deal with the annual pressures instead of constant bullshit deflection and blaming of the public! We are utterly stupid to be tolerating even a whiff of this nonsense at this stage after the last few years!

Its gone on too long having our lives micromanaged by government and worst of all for me NPHET and HSE (both responsible for running our dysfunctional health service!). Some of them suggesting indefinite restrictions. I am sorry I do not exist to manage my life around the HSE ability to manage itself! What a **** existence! My responsibility to the HSE ends with my tax payment!

The vaccine rollout campaign was a success story so rollout boosters in a similar fashion for anyone that wants them and lets get living normally again.

Ban NEPHET/HSE from giving any press conferences, have all their figures properly vetted by an independent group, spin free, with any pronouncements from them going through one person appointed by the government only with a singular message as needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I dont think so personally. I think the hope is that the third shot has the same effect it seems to have in Israel. If a third shot doesn't stop surges like we're seeing now, I dont think there will be any more doses unless it's for specific variants.

Lot of people excited about what Austria is doing I'd say....🙄

That's a good point about going first.

I always got the impression that Ireland didn't really want to remove restrictions and once the Netherlands blinked first we were more than happy to follow. Now other countries are doing the same.

Once somebody goes there others use it as justification to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Those figures still indicate that all other things being equal they were 4.75 times more likely to end up in hospital if unvaccinated.

Being vaccinated also reduces the severity and duration of symptoms so not only were they less likely to end up in hospital if they had been vaccinated, if they do end up in hospital they are likely to be in hospital for less time and need a lower level of medical intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Are you tired correcting the HSE representative's in the media also?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

I would nearly agree with covid certificates if they were used to prevent the unvaccinated from entering a restaurant, but only if it prevented obese members of the public, those with diabetes, underlying heart conditions, severe asthma from entering also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'm presuming you can provide a link to the claim of 80% from a HSE official ?

FYI the 80% the OP quoted isn't accurate so Wolf was spot on to correct it, as of Monday the split was 60% vaccinated, 40% unvaccinated in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭I see sheep

😂 Are you joking? Why would they decide that 3 is enough?? It'll be vaccines for the next 10 years at least

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I think you misheard to be honest.

As of Monday is was a 60/40 split vaccinated/unvaccinated in the total hospital numbers with ICU disproportionally higher in the unvaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

No, but taken out of context is wrong.

I could easily say only 2% in hospital are unvaccinated with covid. Or that 2 hospitals in Ireland 100% of hospital and ICU admissions are unvaccinated. Both correct statements (2% of the 15k beds in hospitals have covid patients and 2 children's hospitals which had covid positive kids, obviously unvaccinated etc...)

We can all sore figures to make thinks look better or worse.

The HSE presser is really for journalists. When they ask Paul Reid why are the hospitals struggling, he would say 20% of our ICU is filled with unvaccinated covid patients, butting a burden on the system. He's explaining why, but the 20% in a sence is not for public consumption as we've seen it causes confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

“Ireland places hospitals on war footing” is headline news of Daily Mail. Also mentions Austria and Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not much difference with some of the presenters. Claire Byrne is perhaps the worst of all.

Advertisement