Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Aren't hospitals always on a war footing. They are there to treat people and to deal with emergencies. The impression some of the unions are giving is that the nurses and doctors are useless.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that governments are starting to hit the panic button. Vaccines are not doing what they wanted them to.

They want to be able to keep the threat of lockdown but they know themselves it's unsustainable and not affordable.

So they've turned their anger and attention to the unvaccinated for now.

But there is definitely a tone of desperation creeping in. MMs speech the other day was a far cry from the speeches early in 2020. It was less of a request and more of an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Agreed. Israel is offering hope though, they’re apparently doing very well now after a successful booster roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

This is not a dig……..turn off notifications, they are damaging to mental health. Our brains have not evolved to have that level of constant exposure to threats and danger. A lot of people I know really struggling now more than any stage of the pandemic. People need to double down on protecting themselves.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

How does mandatory vaccination work? People not allowed in anywhere unless they get vaccinated? Would that really be enforced in every public setting in Austria?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Eh. Remember how well they were doing after their initial successful vaccine roll out?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

One group have health conditions, the other are wilfully ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Don't forget that 40 % of Unvaccinated comes from about only 8% of the population , So you are far far more likely to be in hospital if you are Unvaccinated ,

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Increasing chatter about circuit breakers on the wireless and social media 😥

The modern world is fcuked if we continue to hide away from this.

Mandatory vaccine talk is probably the most depressing thing iv'e heard since this virus escaped out of the Wuhan lab. Very worried about the glee which many are accepting this fascist ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

No references to Israel when cases were through the roof because of the ineffectiveness of the vaccines. We’ll see how many people reference Israel when the need for yet another booster comes around.

• Advertisement

A unvaccinated fit 25 year old won’t need intensive care because of ignorance. An overweight, vaccinated 50 year old just might.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Either you misheard or whoever it was is mistaken.

Perhaps they said that around 20% of those in ICU are unvaccinated with no underlying conditions? That's the current situation.

More arguing against things nobody said. Mandatory vaccination has been happening for decades and society has not collapsed or devolved into Nineteen eighty-four. That's the point.

Vaccinations have been required for travel, for minor illnesses, for a long time.

Kill rates though are not the only measure of impact of an illness. We don't vaccinate everyone for Ebola. Why not? Because it's actually not that infectious. Likewise rabies. Rabies has a 100% kill rate. Why don't we vaccinate everyone? Because it's relatively difficult to catch.

The need for widespread vaccination programmes is not just based on the CFR. The R-number is important, as well as the overall impact of an illness. If the CFR is high but the R-number is low, vaccination is not that important.

Likewise if the R-number is sky-high but the CFR is close to zero, vaccination won't save many lives.

However, in the latter case if the hospitalisation rate is high, then vaccination plays an important role in keeping people out of hospitals.

Delta variant Covid has unfortunately managed to occupy this niche where it has a relatively high CFR, a high hospitalisation rate, and a high R-Number. It's about 3 times more infectious than smallpox. It's not the worst in any of these measures, but it's bad in all of them. A perfect little storm of a virus, that leads to high levels of pressure on health systems.

Just because it "only" kills 2% of those infected, doesn't mean it's no big deal. If lots of people get infected, lots of people die. And covid is really good at infecting lots of people. Much better than smallpox is.

The argument against mandatory vaccination is not, "covid is just a little 'flu". It's about whether all avenues to encourage people to make the right choice, have been completely exhausted. There may come a time when principles have to be abandoned in the interests of saving lives. That's reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Could obesity be classed as wilfully ignorant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

No sensible western government is going to adopt let it rip and if they die, they die. Not so much because of COVID deaths per se, but equally because of the impact COVID has on health systems and all the non covid stuff that has to be cancelled. You'd have people needing or having had surgery that requires ICU and they'd be the casualties too. I mean, we've what, 3,800 hospital staff off work currently because of COVID, our system is rubbish, I think most would agree, but there's not a system in the world can cope with the Delta R number being let run through a population.

I honestly don't think anyone really knows how this all plays out or what the answer is. Hopefully the extra protection from dose 3 of the jabs does it.

I'm now wondering what would happen to the world if we were hit by a virus that was more damaging or serious. The world would explode...

This is some clusterfu*k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

@seamus 'There may come a time when principles have to be abandoned'

For somebody who is prepared to become corrupt yes.

Life is a test, and you're setting yourself up to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Just because it "only" kills 2% of those infected

Where do you see this? CFR since the start in Ireland is 1%, including the year pre vaccination. CFR since Delta appears to be approximately 0.1%. This is of confirmed positive cases, not of those "those infected".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So what will we do ? Hold people down while injecting them ? In mass centres with straps on tables ? Of course it wont happen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Imagine we are being told not to go to work but there will be 50 thousand in the Avia this weekend. I'm sitting at home at the moment but can go to the boozer for a few pints later. Listening to Pat kenny and he is a disgrace. Really driving fear and trying to be as divisive as possible when it comes to the unvaxxed. He is talking about banning pantos for u12's. Wants 5-10 year olds to be wearing masks all day in school ffs. Never mind what issues that may lead to in later life. He wants the least vulnerable fully vaxxed youngsters put into a perpetual lockdown. The media are an absolute disgrace for fueling mass hysteria about a virus which has little to no impact on the young and an even smaller impact on fully vaxxed. The HSE need to get the capacity issues sorted and we need to live our lives from here on in. if that includes a booster every year then so be it but once you have been boosted it should be back to pre covid normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Christ it's only in times like this when the curtain is pulled back a little bit do you actually see the make up of some people. I've always had my suspicions but the mood music from Europe now shows me that fascism is on the rise in a big way throughout the continent. A proper functioning EU would be at this time preparing a stiff rebuke for Austria for going down this frankly insane road and threatening them with sanctions for forgoing human rights and civil liberties on such a scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Paul Reid on the radio AGAIN this morning

Honestly he can **** off

Stop telling us how bad the hospitals are, it's not our responsibility, it's yours, so do your **** job and fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

On the work from home thing, if your job can be done from home I don't see a problem. Would it be better that you go into the office but that those who work at the Aviva or in pubs have their livelihoods taken away from them again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Create a law and make individuals liable for prosecution if non compliant. No different to tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hi George. It's more to do with the lack of logic behind the latest restrictions. It just makes no sense. I'm all for working from home etc. I don't see the logic in closing the pubs at 12. it makes no sense at all in the grand scheme of things. I think it's just NPHET and the Government being seen to do something and the hospitality sector are an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

English hospitalisations down to 6,000. (The equivalent of 450 here)

Our extra long and hard lockdown plus our higher vaccination rate seems to have been a complete waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

But the working from home where we can allows those other things to open which are places of work for people who can't do it from home. So it makes some sense imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The measures are completely arbitrary, it's not saying that at 12:01 people are more infectious but by getting them home at that time they are exposed to less people on average than if they were out till 2am. Similar to the WFH, they "paused" the return so existing numbers in office are fine but "no more" seems to be the message, would it matter much if 10% more returned? Probably not, but they're soft (very soft) measures to try and reduce numbers slightly. Hopefully they won't have to go with any further measures (watch the hospitalisations).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If we actually had a "circuit breaker" I wouldn't mind that much personally. I have no faith whatsoever that it would actually be a circuit breaker though. If we close down we'll be closed down for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

My point was that the modelling couldn't be dismissed as being incorrect. I agree with your point, but I think you've missed mine.

• Advertisement

And yet countries with near 100% vaccination are reacting the same as countries with 60%. Principles my dear, were abandoned long ago. The vaccines against covid are way to ineffective at suppressing the disease and governments are scrambling to get out of the rabbit hole which has been sold to the public. Breakthrough cases are everywhere. Either the vaccines protect those who have whatever underlying conditions are causing them to need care, or they don’t.

Advertisement