Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You need to remember that for many covid is a religion, and absolutely anything is justified in the service of your god.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

Treat them differently for 'their bad choices'😂 You can't equate not taking a vaccine to criminal behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You'd like to think that no sensible government would impose this on their people. We need to find a balance and shutting everything for any period of time isn't it. Everything needs to remain functioning and open with guidelines helping people to stay safe. After 19months of this we know it's not going away. Having anymore lockdowns will only push the inevitable down the line. We know the vaccines and the boosters aren't as effective as we had hoped so based on that we can't lockdown or impose restrictions everytime we have an increase in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

If that virus was very dangerous for the majority of people (which covid is certainly not) and there was a vaccine which did what it was promised, you would actually have a civilized response from a majority of people. There would be an understanding because it made sense.

When a vaccine doesn’t make sense for everyone, especially against a virus which more than likely leaked from a lab in China, that’s why it a clusterfu*k.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Oddly, ICU is also unchanged from yesterday at 118.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I'm so sick of hearing about it. It's his responsibility and he is whinging how he can't do his job properly essentially.

At this point I'm thinking they should just put hospital and care home staff in their own accommodation, connected to their hospital and away from the rest of society. As well, they really drill into health staff that they are the key causes of outbreaks in hospitals and need to cop on with their personal responsibility in the situation. It's not going to work for their boss, Paul Reid, to keep deflecting and trying to make it out as if it is the general public who are the issue.

Maybe if we started to push back against the health service they might get the finger out and stop rolling over when they get a bit busy.

There were a lot of things made mandatory around the world in the 40s.

And at home having a baby out of wedlock and mandatory decisions were often made for you.

We had hoped we evolved from such mindsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Data from anywhere that attempted the circuit breaker last Winter found they basically did feck all. I would suspect that rather than everyone thinking, "Right, let's all batten down for two weeks and fix this", you had the usual 20% who said, "**** pointless, only two weeks, load of shite, I'm not doing this".

More of the victim complex I see. Nobody talked about criminal behaviour.

Bad choices are still legal. People get treated differently all the time for making bad choices.

If you smoke you pay higher taxes and have to go outside.

If you're obese you pay more for life insurance.

If you buy an expensive car you pay higher car insurance.

If you choose to not get vaccinated, you have you go outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

People are so early triggered.

Yes hospitals are bad. We can't just order 200 ICU beds (staff included) off Amazon for next day delivery.

We (the public) have a chance to keep hospitals getting worse. If the HSE could magic up staff by clicking their fingers, I'm sure they would. There's very little they can do during a surge, so maybe he's saying the hospitals are struggling and I'm gonna wager he also said for people to be cautious, limit contacts, don't go out and about with symptoms.... All the stuff that people can do day to day that will have a benefit.

The fact that's lots of people, maybe that's why it's kept being repeated over and over again.

No victim complex Seamus.

Treat them differently = remove civil liberties.

Treat them differently = Jim Crow, Apartheid, Gerrymandering and removal of Civil Rights, internment without trial (ruled a breach of Human Rights in the European Court of Justice) in Northern Ireland, I needn't go into treatment of other minorities.

• Advertisement

You don't seem to get the difference between your examples and being forced to put something into your body, which many believe was produced too quickly, with monetary gain solely in mind, that could potentially be harmful to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

He's also suggesting that commercial decisions by private companies are somehow comparable to the fundamental rights of citizens. His posts are increasingly unhinged this morning, fake stats and so on, I'm wondering if he feels bolstered or validated by Austria mandating vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

I do find this incredibly frustrating. Surely with all the HSE staff and admin available they could peddle out a spokesperson instead of the CEO every day! Could you imagine if the CEO of a private sector company was spending every day on radio/TV/Press conferences!! The mind boggles.

Over a decade ago they were told they needed to increase ICU to over 500. They didn't.

How nice that we now get forced to give up our freedom to help them while the lad on close to half a million a year moans at us on a daily basis for his own failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Short of a time machine, there's **** all that can be done today. Play the blame game, but maybe after we get out of this pandemic. It just comes across as, Paul Reid explains hospitals are under strain, explains why elective surgery is being cancelled, asks people to be more responsible, limit cants ya etc... And people just stick their hands up saying it's all his fault and we're not gonna follow simple guidelines out of spite.

It's not out of spite. It's because we did it for close to 2 years now believing that freedom would be returned if we did what we were told.

It hasn't been returned and the policies like lockdown have been a huge failure.

Almost 2 years in and you can't even get a test in Dublin. Failure after failure.

I mean nobody has suggested buying them off Amazon. However what people are saying is that we have had nearly two years at this stage to get our capacity issues in order and we are still being caught out. That is on Reids and the Governments shoulders at this stage. it's just not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So yesterday your measures included excluding the children of unvaccinated from schools, today you’re suggesting it’s time for mandatory vaccination here as it’s the ‘lesser of two evils’ in your words.

What about mandatory boosters? Is that tomorrow’s idea?

Post edited by CruelSummer on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

While I take your point, it would take me at least two days of waiting to get a GP appointment where I actually speak to a GP.Over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Indeed.

The other point is that people seem to think that having more ICU beds is some kind of a solution. Needing more ICU beds in the context of covid means that more people are getting seriously ill and dying. This is not good! Are people seriously thinking that if, say, we had 1000 ICU beds we should just let the virus run rip and, that's grand. They seem to totally forget that 35% of those who end up in ICU will die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

In fairness, it's not all his fault. There is a long list of people over the years you can attribute blame to.

However, the public aren't at fault for any of the HSE's failings and anyone falling for that notion is a complete arse!

"Hey, we've pissed away billions on the health service but have actually done nothing to improve it in decades and it's on it's knees because of our incompetence but hey, guess what? It's all your fault because you hung out with a friend/family member at during the week"

"The unvaccinated are the problem" - Leo Varadker.

Leo Varadker, who is currently in Saudi Arabia, having dinner and cosying up with people who persecute and kill people who are gay, said that and people lap it up despite the fact the population of Gibraltar say otherwise. I am not anti vax, I have my vaccine, probably will get a booster etc but, ffs...

🙄 Depressing ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Are you not able to do some critical thinking? Why would they bother with further doses for anyone other than the most vulnerable if it doesn't stop the surges? The hope/thinking is that it's a '3 dose vaccine'. If it isn't, then they wont keep going for anyone other than the above.

I should have checked your profile name before replying.. never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

• This latest CSO report https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries36/ has one stark fact. Around 28% of those who contracted COVID-19 in September and October and admitted to an ICU were not born in Ireland, and 90% of those reported being un-vaccinated. We must do more to counteract the nonsensical antivax stuff these people are getting from their own countries. I heard a Lithuanian the other day saying "I've done my own research". That phrase really grates with me. It translates as "I've read a cospiracy theory on the web and I believe it. I don't believe what real scientists are saying".
    • I'm not engaged in blaming. I just want to see something done to get these pople vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

The Austria thing is pulling a lot of wannabe authoritarians out of the woodwork.

I hope they are speaking like this in real life. Will make it a hell of a lot easier to know who to avoid when all this madness is over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No.What we are saying is that it raises our tolerance level for cases as a society.In other words, the ceiling for which we must start to reintroduce restrictions is higher.We can afford to have more cases circulating before we have to start closing things down.

I haven't done the maths, but I suspect if we had the OECD recommended number of beds per capita, we would be doing fairly well right now.Our case numbers are rising fairly gradually, and relatively speaking, the numbers in ICU are small.The 90% vaccination rate is actually serving us quite well compared to 60% or so in other countries.But because we have basically no tolerance in our hospital system for anything on top of day to day winter stuff, it means we struggle at the most basic level.This thing is not going away, and we are not in a position to open our society unless we basically have next to zero covid.Which would lead to the conclusion that we may forget about opening our society, certainly in the winter months, until we build more capacity into our health system.

It is not that we want to be able to fill 1000s of ICU beds with patients.It is that we want to know we can manage to still live our lives while covid circulates, without the entire country grinding to a halt because the health system gives up so early. That's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

More ICU beds alone will not fix everything. Nor will mask wearing alone, or vaccines alone, etc We need many things to get on top of this. One of those things we need is a significant increase in ICU capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

You cant mention that around here . Or in Ireland in general.

Increasing ICU capacity is a massive part of the solution here. The reason why we are imposing restrictions and talking about ludicrous measures such as mandatory vaccines is because of the stress and strain on the hospitals. There is no getting away from that. We can't be giving the HSE or the Government a free pass on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We all know you dont order ICU beds on Amazon .We all also know that you plan ahead and adjust according to population .They were warned 10 years ago by nursing unions ,consultants and many others to increase bed capacity and ICU capacity .They were told a problem is hurtling towards us and what did they do ? SFA , not 10 years ago and not now in two years .Yes someone will pop along and tell us we got an extra paltry 15 ICU beds or some such nonsense ./The simple fact is you and I and the whole population was let down and is let down by a totally insufficient Health system while they whinge at US to do more

Advertisement