If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max 43", best specs/value

Options
  • 18-11-2021 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭

Previous and happy customer so as first port of call can you advise on following options as looking for a TV for the folks which is pretty restricted on size so max 43". While a 32" would probably be better in terms of available space it's likely a bit small as modern standards go and the transition to 43" gains the advantage of 4k which I suspect may not even be noticeable at that size.

TV is for a living room with soarview and freesat boxes connected so a TV with dual tuners would be handy as will enable scrapping the separate boxes and multiple remotes to declutter. Other than regular TV it's just streaming so nothing too demanding. No set budget but since it's the primary TV in house looking for something decent but yet good value

I see in a previous thread the LG 43up81006lr for €489 was recommended and with inbuilt Soarview and Freesat tuners looks to tick requirements. What's the main difference between it and the slightly cheaper LG 43up77006lb for €449?

How about the LG NanoCell TVs, is there much improvement in terms of the display? I see on your website you only start those at 50", any prospects of getting them in 43" like the LG 43Nano756PA.AEK Harvey Norman are advertising?

Also seen on a previous thread the Philips 43PUS7906 at €519 being mentioned and as one of the few if not only 43" available with HDMI2.1 it offers good future proofing. Ambilight would be nice for movies but since the TV will be positioned in a corner unit probably not as effective if wall mounted. As an all round TV how would it compare with the LGs above.

Then there's the Samsung QLED with all the additional marketing. Is it mostly hype or is the Samsung QE43Q60A at €649 worth considering in the mix?

Any further thoughts or suggestions much appreciated and apologies for the long post.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi Dr_Colossus, great to hear from you again!

Out of all the TVs you have listed there the Philips would definitely be the one to go with. It uses a local dimming panel, it's future proofed with HSMI 2.1, it has a great smart hub and the ambilight feature looks great. The main difference between the LGs is that the 81006 has an extra HDMI input and uses a central pedestal stand, the panels are identical otherwise.

The QLEDs are good as well but the Philips also supports Dolby Vision which the Samsungs don't so out of all of them I do think the Philips gives the most for the money - for picture and features!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Thanks for the response and direction, wasn't expecting you to still be working at nearly 20:00.

Philips looks promising but I'm confused as to whether it incorporates both saorview and freesat connections. For instance the LG lists Freesat HD as included but that's not shown for the Philips. Being able to connect both the rf plug from the aerial and the f connector from the singular satellite LNB for the free to air channels would be very useful as it would enable removal of the separate saorview and satellite boxes and associated remote controls. Perhaps that's not possible with any TV and while saorview would be incorporated in the analogue tuner a separate satellite box would always be required to decode the digital signals and transmit that to the TV via one of the HDMI ports? Sorry for the simplistic questions but since I don't watch live TV myself I'm not up to speed with current standings.

On the subject of tuners none of the TVs listed shows twin tuners as available. I presume that would be to facilitate watching one channel while recording another via a different feed such as multiple satellite LNB feeds? On that matter all TVs shows USB recording as available, does that imply you can record live TV to a USB stick through the TV? I expect the channel has to be preset for recording since it could only record what's being watched/tuned. Sounds impressive as thought recording would only be possible via a separate set top box with multiple tuners and a hard drive.

Back to TV comparisons and looking at the Philips 43PUS7906 for €519 vs the Philips 43PUS8556 for €669. Your comparison website is not showing much difference apart from the swivel stand on the 43PUS8556 but Philips' own site shows a few more differences with the more expensive model having a QWERTY remote, 16GB flash as opposed to 8GB and with Google Assistant built in as opposed to Google Assistant ready (not sure what Google Assistant ready means). Any other differences to explain the considerable price increase? On that front anything you can do on the price of the 43PUS8556 or any forthcoming Black Friday sales to bring it more inline with the similar specked 43PUS8535 which is available elsewhere.

Thanks again.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi Dr Colussus,

Thanks for getting back to me! I never stop working, although I'm sure a few people would disagree! 😁

On the tuners - the LG would be the only one that has both a Saorview and Freesat tuner - Philips would only have Saorview unfortunately but it does have a better panel than the LG. You would need a separate satellite box like the Freesat UHD4X to connect to the Philips via HDMI for Freesat only. A twin tuner does mean you can record one channel while watching another but it's getting harder and harder to find in TVs these days.

The main differences between the two Philips models are exactly as you say - they both use the same panel and have the same motion processing rate so in terms of picture quality there's not much difference. We never know what our Black Friday prices will be in advance but we do have a 14 Day Price Promise so if the price does drop we can refund the difference within 14 days.

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Thanks David for your help but after much discussion this purchase is now going to be postponed until the new year at least. Folks are now talking of taking out the built in unit where the TV would be positioned and likely going for larger one.

For any future readers came across this good thread of the benefits of Freesat which had swayed me towards the LG over the better specced Philips since it would have simplified the set up at parents house.

Thanks again and will be in touch again hopefully next year.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Dr_Colossus.

No problem at all.

Just drop us a post or a PM when you are ready.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.