Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Notify everyone in the country that vaccination is required for hospital care. No vaccination - no health care ( pay for it yourself ).

Don't take health advice ? - then you don't get health care !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

How many posts have you on here now?

Covid vaccines do not currently provide sterilizing immunity, they likely never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Does this apply to just covid or in general. Why are smokers clogging up the hospital system or alcohol related care, if someone crashes and they were speeding should we refuse to treat them, they were breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

How about morbidly obese people? Should they get health care? How about smokers or alcoholics? What about skateboarders who break their leg knowing full well the risk of the activity they're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,487 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was engaging with the point that there's no point getting a vaccine if it does nothing to protect those around you.

Yes, it's important to note that even if vaccinated you can still get infected and infect but someone else. But at a macro level, how likely that happens is different.

I have shown that it does help to protect those around you, with reference to evidence you are unwilling or unable to challenge other than with remarks about someone's post count. So yeah, I'm sticking to my point.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Haha 🤣🤣

"Don't take health advice, then you don't get health care....."

That would exclude 99% of the population from health care....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I doubt there will be a meaningful compliance with any Level 5 lockdowns at this rate. We were told that when we had a certain amount of people fully vaxxed we would see an end to restrictions and that hasn't happened. I don't think most will observe a lockdown if they know it's going to be a bi-annual thing from September to March. Hospital capacity is the way out of this not restrictions or vaccines. The 7 or so percent of people who haven't been vaccinated won't be changing their minds considering the fully vaxxed now need a booster shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Other factor is the way that most of the Irish state simply went into shutdown rather than making any effort to keep things ticking over. INIS holding onto GNIB cards and passports for months resulting in rescinded job offers was a major bugbear of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Those issues and activities won't infect me .... someone with Covid could infect others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭patnor1011

That is not correct. Everyone in the know use phrase: There was 2/3 (or 70%) of unvaccinated in ICU "at one stage". That mean there probably was a short time or a moment when this happened however "at one stage" become very interesting point as it allows them to browbeat dumb public into scary stories about how unvaccinated are driving current surge.

Nothing is further from the truth yet then you have the likes of Pat K who is having a stroke on the radio constantly going on about selfishness, helping others and how opening of schools is going to doom us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,294 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah, I agree wit some of that (they should have been more Liberal with risk taking last summer when numbers were low for example) but I can't get on board with the moaning, reductionist approach you're taking.

The purpose of the lockdown was to reduce pressure on the health service through reducing opportunities for transmission. Lockdown certainly achieved that and I agree they maintained the lockdown for too long last year. Hopefully they will learn from that and cut the cloth to measure this year. Only imposing the necessary restrictions.

thisNew scientist article says you're much less likely to spread the virus if you're vaccinated

From the article "They absolutely do reduce transmission,” says Christopher Byron Brooke at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. “Vaccinated people do transmit the virus in some cases, but the data are super crystal-clear that the risk of transmission for a vaccinated individual is much, much lower than for an unvaccinated individual.”

A recent study found that vaccinated people infected with the delta variant are 63 per cent less likely to infect people who are unvaccinated."

This article agrees but says the protective effect wanes dramatically after 3 months of vaccination.

Whatever way you slice it, it's hard to argue that vaccination doesn't reduce transmission.

I don't claim to be an expert. I just did a quick Google.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The summer of 2020 was the government squandering goodwill and this I believe to be partly responsible for the complete disregard for caution seen over xmas. As for learning lessons to me it looks like the government is once again farting around, and this is pretty much why Mistletown Dublin got cancelled.

very valid summation of things in 2020.

No hope of a near fully vaccinated population accepting a further lockdown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i wouldn’t be so sure. Ireland tends to be a roll over and take it kind of nation.

It's a gross over simplification of 2020. There wasn't a vaccine and the whole world didn't have a clue about what to do back then. Summer 2021 should have been much less restricted alright, in hindsight.

People wouldn't accept lockdown now because it's not in any way warranted now. If things deteriorate over Christmas, then people will generally accept restrictions in January ad they did last year. They'll accept them if they're necessary. They're not necessary now.

Yeh some will. But most won't thankfully. Imagine being told you can't go more than 5km away from your house even when you are fully vaccinated. Crazy stuff. If that were to happen then you'd have to start giving some credit to the conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 seaniewicklow

People never followed the first lockdown anyway so why would they follow this one.

• Advertisement

Some people didn't. But there will always be some people who break the laws in any circumstance. That's why we have a whole justice system. Most people more or less stuck to he rules during the lockdowns. You can rely on most people sticking to the rules in normal circumstances too, it's the basis of society.

if there's need for more restrictions after Christmas then most people will behave well. Some people can't be trusted to behave well but its not a reason to not have rules just because some people won't follow them.

But they don't have to accept or decline it. It will happen anyway.

They won’t bring back 5km thing. But hospitality and leisure will close. It will be a de facto lockdown but dressed up as something else

People will accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

letting it run through the young population is unviable, has already been tried elsewhere and has failed.

ICU capacity cannot be delivered quick enough, it's not like popping down to the local furniture store and buying a load of beds, this has already been explained.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its crazy how scared we have become of everything

100 year ago people just to on with life no matter what and there was things like Small pox, Plague, Spanish flu, all far more deadly than Covid,

We really are a planet full of babies,

There comes a time people have to live & if old or venerable people die then we just have to accept it that's the way nature & life has always been ,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

just covid as it has the potential to effect a good number and has a greater likely hood of doing so, hence the other comparisons are invalid.

personally i don't support the poster's suggestion but i can understand why they are suggesting it, given like many they are sick of the anti-vax and other problem people who still refuse to get the reality of the situation we are in dispite all the evidence and facts shown to them, who then go and ruin everything for the rest of us again and again by just ignoring everything.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Will you be the one to pull the trigger and kill your grandparents or parents?

The desire to live goes without saying, however are we willing the sacrifice the elderly and the vulnerable just so we can go down the boozer?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Not all of us but yeah as a populace we've become as soft as sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,487 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If small pox is a far more deadly disease than covid, why isn't it still killing loads of people today? Or plague?

Strange isn't it... covid is still going around killing people despite all the medicines and healthcare systems of 2021.

So small pox claimed more lives, as did plague, but in the environment of 2021, covid is actually more deadly.

100 years ago people just had to accept that lots of babies wouldn't survive, or young children. Men in the prime of their life could fall like poppies in the trenches, women in the prime of their life could die in childbirth. A long active retirement was the privilege of the few not the many. A scratch could get infected and kill you pre antibiotics. You had to be very accepting of death around you whether you liked it or not because it was a constant companion. They had no choice to get on with life - well, that's if they were one of the lucky ones to still be alive, and a lot weren't.

This crisis has never really been about the deaths of the people who have sadly died despite having treatment available in modern healthcare facilities. It's about the people who pulled through because ICU was there to save them. And that isn't just people over 80 but people with decades of life expectancy.

What's at stake in this crisis has never really been about the very vulnerable such as those in nursing homes. It has been about protecting the healthcare systems (which did not exist 100 years) from being overwhelmed, and still being able to serve its purpose.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why would i need to pull the trigger ?

Can people not take personally responsibility ,if you have grand parents & decided to go down the boozer then just don't visit them after ,its pretty straight forward,

I don't drink much at all & my grand parents are long gone , but i don't expect the youth to live strange alternative lives because my parents might die from a diseases that has a tiny change of killing them ,

Old people die all the time from a range of things, being fat & unhealth is far more likely to kill old people than covid is

Covid is not going away, so why handicap people (the young) who it will not effect, Why should everyone suffer its very selfish ,

Ask yourself would you be willing to die a few years premature to allow your children or grand kids to live a free happy lives like we did or stick around an extra 5 years or so to see them liver under constant fear & constant restriction ,

Advertisement