Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

The consultants have some neck. They're taking far too great a share of the budget. They don't want to sign contacts for 250K because it rules out private work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The idea of increasing icu beds back in 2009 wasnt just to alleviate COVID 19(because it didnt exist) it was to have more icu beds in the system as is the norm for a modern functioning heavily funded health service.

But hey lets put the people running these organisations up on a pedestal and let them tell us its all our fault!

See below, 2019.

People who should lose their jobs for this systematic failure yet the general consensus is they shouldnt even be looked at until we get over COVID, hmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I agree we need more ICU beds (unrelated to covid) but I don't agree that allowing infection rates to rise further would be ok if we had more ICU beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

But whats the alternative?

We dont have a vaccine that stops infections so what do we do? Lock down, lower infection rates, open up and rates go up again, repeat ad infinitum?

Genuinely, what do we do apart from protect as much people as possible from getting sick and dying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

So, the list of unvaccinated people we know are overrepresented in ICU is growing and includes:

* Pregnant women

* Immunosuppressed (e.g. people with HIV who are undergoing treatment)

* People from marginalised communities, including members of the Traveller community

* Migrants

If ICU patients are composed of such people, it's abhorrent to demonise vulnerable and marginalised people. When are we going to get complete data on demographics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Yeah yeah but Boris evil something something

Quick look over there unvaccinated Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Ozvaldo

rte the covid mouthpiece for a rubbish government leading with a story abt Austria and a full lockdown do they think we give a fcuk abt Austria ?

muppets in rte obsessed with this thing

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nobody's being forced to do anything.

Just like having a choice doesn't mean the choice you make is automatically the right one, people are also entitled to hold incorrect opinions. I completely understand these objections to the vaccine. They're irrational and without basis, but that doesn't mean I don't understand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You simplify things. More than 500,000 non-Irish nationals from 200 different nations live in Ireland - and that is figure from over 2 years ago. Number is more than likely higher. It is estimated that about 15% of people living here are non nationals. Cue in people who got citizenship and you suddenly can see there is nothing wrong or scary with those numbers. It seems that foreign born population is represented quite proportionally.

If you want to be fair then go ahead and find out how many of other 72% of the people who contracted covid and admitted to ICU were unvaccinated.

How predictable of overlords making sheeple offended by tossing "unvaccinated foreigners" in to the open. Racist cards always work the best.

Yesterday it was unvaxxed vs vaxxed, today it is foreigners and non nationals and tomorrow it will be boostered vs unboostered.

If we had ICU capacity even at the OECD average, we would have sufficient capacity to handle the most likely outcome of a complete reopening. We have one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, with sufficient ICU capacity we'd still be talking about caution and pressure, but we wouldn't be concerned about properly having to tighten restrictions again like Austria or Germany. If the option was there to let it run without killing the hospital system, then sure. People who've chosen to not be vaccinated have chosen to take the risk.

We don't have a time machine though. We've added as much capacity as anyone could reasonably add in 18 months during a global resource shortage. No amount of bleating on about a broken health system can change where we are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I didn't understand the why the unvaxxed were hesitant at for the first round of vaccine but I certainly get it now. I am seriously considering not getting a booster myself based on the fact I'm extremely low risk and the social benefits of getting it don't add up. I think what the last month or so has proven is that our leaders don't have anything else to throw at Covid apart from lockdowns and restrictions. Do we just role up the sleeve every 6 months for the rest of our lives? We have no data available on any longterm effects the covid vaccines might have either. Especially if it's going to be a vaccine every 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Cigarettes cause cancer. Alcohol causes liver disease. These products are legal. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This must be the first time ever a story from Austria is leading Irish news websites.

Sky and the BBC barely mentioning it.

Has Ireland got a covid obsession?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

My decision to be not vaccinated is far from irrational or without basis, the virus is very low risk to my profile, likewise having a bad outcome from the jab is a slightly lower percentage than having a bad outcome from the virus.

I am extremely fit and healthy, I’ve zero underlying conditions, I’ve had Dexa scans Vo2 tests, heart scans the lot. I’m making my choice based on the science and data not some horseshîte YouTube videos.

This virus is nothing to the real fit and healthy people and to fit and healthy children as the science and data has always shown.

I will not take medicine to protect the health service, I protect it by the massive amounts of taxes I’ve paid for over 25 years.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Yeh. Our national media are an absolute shower of misery pushing freaks. Pat Kenny is the worst of all. It's a disgrace at this stage some of the stuff they are peddling. pat Kenny asked a man this morning if he would be comfortable going to a restaurant or pub with the current number. The man said he was and Pat nearly had a stroke. Says it all really.

We have no data available on any longterm effects the covid vaccines might have either.

We do. They've been in use for over a year now. No vaccine in history has ever revealed new side effects more than 8 weeks after inoculation. The long term effects of the covid vaccines are well known. Better than any other vaccine in human history.

Saying you'd definitely refuse a booster out of spite is irrational. It's like voting No on a referendum because you hate the government.

I wouldn't be rushing to get a booster because the statistical benefit to me and to wider society is minimal. But if it's right there and little effort to me, then I will, because there is still some benefit, however small.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

And you just know Pat and the rest are out enjoying themselves. Only the idiots are staying at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You know damn well this is nonsense. "Nobody is forced to do anything", while at the same time implementing restrictions that leave people no reasonable choice in the matter.

In the workplace that sort of **** is called constructive dismissal and is rightly frowned upon, its completely disingenuous to hear similar being trotted out here.

I'm not refusing it out of spite. I'm going to delay in taking it because I'm not sure what the benefits of it are. I've taken two already and things still aren't back to normal.

Do you call 12 months longterm?

How long do other vaccines take to get approved and tested etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Does anyone know where to find data on what percentage of hospital admissions are vaccinated vs unvaccinated?

This report exists: https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/vaccinationstatusweeklyreports/Vaccination%20Status%20of%20ICU%20admissions.pdf

but it begins in April 2021 when most people were unvaccinated. And from then until now, it shows 63% were unvaccinated. I suspect now that 90% of adults are vaccinated, maybe less than 50% of hospital admissions would be unvaccinated by now?

I'm looking for data for a recent 2 week, or 3 month max period, when most people were vaccinated.

• Advertisement

My decision to be vaccinated is far from irrational or without basis

"I'm too fit and healthy to be affected by this virus" is basically your justification here. And while you can say that is statistically likely, you don't know that. A combination of ego and bad self-research. There are five or six guys in ICU at the moment who probably believed they were too young and healthy to be affected.

This just reminds me of republicans after a mass shooting in the USA, and their "This isn't the time to make decisions about gun control" schtick.

Actually, this is the time. Why should we wait until after the pandemic to reform the health service? Why is there **** all that can be done today? Thats the sort of attitude that has us where we are now, nearly two years of this and still facing lockdowns. Its pathetic on the part of those responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Nope again mine is based on the science, data and risk to my profile.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

They've every reasonable choice in the matter.

Word there being reasonable. If you want to eat out, eat outside or get a takeaway. If you want a pint, have it outside or have a drink at home. Reasonable choices, reasonable consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

While I have not been in favour of the length and severity of restrictions we have had I do find this argument very strange! Everything is fine if the people have an ICU place!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's the main headline on both Sky and BBC websites...

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

Not since the late news after Conchita Wurst won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2014😂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have to agree with this.And to quote Boris once more, "if not now, then when?".

It is time -past time -to start addessing these problems. Nothing like a good crisis to focus minds and produce solutions

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What is likely to come to the fore in the booster programme is more of a sense of why people opted for vaccination. There's undoubtedly a large cohort who did this for personal protection or to protect others. You also have a group of people who felt it was a civic duty to get vaccinated even if they didn't all feel they required it. Finally, you have those who opted for the vaccine to be able to travel or to partake in other social activities. Quite a lot of these will find themselves in position to question whether they need or want to get another jab.

• Advertisement

Want your children to have an education, then do what we tell you. But remember, its your choice...

Advertisement