Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

No, my friend, what I am saying that if a majority voted for it, I would accept it .

Now ,my friend, you then queer the pitch by suggesting a “few unionists” might be against it.

It will be almost 50-50 so if you think that it will be all sweetness and light and there will be no reaction………then you need to take a good look at yourself.

You needs to read peoples posts properly before going off half cocked, a chara.

Wasting peoples time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Not getting half cocked as you put it, but I'm a democrat and if the vote is 50.0001% in favour, then there has to be a united Ireland. Can't be waiting for unionists to come to terms with it. Is this another case won't acceprt the democaric wish of the people. Look at the damage that brexit has done to the North, and a majority voted against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So we agree that we shouldn't go against the democratic will of the people. There is no sign that it is likely that a majority of the people in Northern Ireland would vote for a united Ireland in a border poll - all opinion polls show a border poll would be lost, and the political parties who support a united Ireland have a share of the vote less than 50%.

As you clearly support the democratic will of the people who made the likelihood of a border poll passing a condition of the GFA, you will logically agree that any party or party leader or individual who calls for a border poll when those conditions are unfulfilled is going against the democratic will of the people and is a danger to democracy. That is the logic of your claim to support democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You must be one of those arrogant Brexiteers, if you think that a vote of 51% should carry the day. Look at what a mess that created and it'd be likewise if such a result came from a border poll.

In fact no sane government would go anywhere near offering such a poll unless at least an 80/20 was the result in favour.

And that my friend is exactly why Sinn Féin must be kept away from the levers of power in this Republic, until they see sense in a consensual & mutually agreed approach. They would be capable of blowing the whole f***king place up.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

Whilst I agree 50.1 could cause all kinds of problems and complications, what is this 80/20 suggestion?

What an absolutely ludicrous suggestion. That's not democracy in action, that's essentially one side refusing to hold a vote or referendum unless one side is assured of a comfortable and resounding "win".

I'm only playing if you let me win, school yard tripe.

No 4:1 in favour represents a peaceful transition by consensus. You persuade people that they'd be better throwing in their lot with each other. That's how you do things, not at the point of a gun or ballot box.

So the majority should remain under British Control because some people not only want a Border Poll to pass but now with a certain margin. Some people claim to be deomocrats, only when it suits. Certain people up north want nothing to do with Britain and with Brexit it gives them another reason to want an United Ireland.

Partition was forced on a sizeable percentage of the population with discrimination imposed on them relating to jobs, burning therir houses, interned and not allowed to vote. I hear a lot of people saying it's up to the irish to make a united Ireland appealing for the Unionists, but when has the Unionist Community ever reached to the Nationalists like celebrating a centenary that was offensive to the majority of Nationlists, won't enact the ILA, march in places where they are not wanted, demanding the protocol be scrapped despite evidence that it is benefiting their economy, what most sensible people want for their community, more jobs, etc but then again Donsaldson said he'd prefer to lose 40000 jobs rather than have a soft brexit.

So.. what's your solution?? Ethnic cleansing? Shove them all into the sea?

• Advertisement

Their politicians should show some leadership and if it is passed, tell their community to accept democracy. They could also follow Arlenes advice and move to the uk if they want, I'm sure they'll be welcomed with open arms. It would not be right to have the will of the majority dictated by a minority.

Funny that you mention ethnic cleansing, the thing that Unionists have tried to do the nationalist community during their 100 years and now you want them appeased.

You see, some people don't understand democracy. They think it is only about straight majority votes, but it isn't just about that, it is about a whole lot more. It is about inclusiveness, persuasion, respecting rights, electing representatives etc.

Those who see a border poll as 50.0000001% and deal with the consequences are the sort of black and white thinkers that should never ever be let near the levers of power.

As for the rest, you just want to sink to the level of radical unionism and join them down there somewhere with low standards. Not for me.

The only ethnic cleansing that took place in Northern Ireland during the last half-century was the PIRA policy of shooting any rural Protestant farmer in the border counties who was a part-time policeman or part-time UDR. The fact that they used that facade to hide their ethnic cleansing made it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

You suspect that we'd have all sunshine and rainbows with no problems at all if Unification was regularly polling at ~75%?

That despite years of peace largely secured due to the promise to respect the wishes of the populace to either stay in the UK or to unify with Ireland, the 3/4 of the population who you've just told their vote is worth less than 1/3 of the vote of someone who wants to remain part of the Union will just say, 'ah fair enough'?

I would find it highly undesirable for a border poll to either pass or fail on a close to 50% margin, but I'd be a lot more concerned about what we say about our respect for democracy and international agreements if we ignored it.....and that includes ignoring it by proxy by refusing to call a vote (the power to do so lies with the British SoS for NI by the way, not our government).

Funny that some posters only bring up the IRA violence, you'd swear that nationlits were never interned, burnt out of their homes, had to endure sectarian marches which meant many were locked in their houses. Add to this there were policed by the UDR and the RUC whose sole aim was to either batter them or murder them either directly or in collusion with loyalist terrorists for a long period. Even now there is no reaching out by the unionist community to the nationist community and this is shown in the ILA, the slowness to develop a University in Derry, while also covering up massacres on the Nationalist community. As you mentioned recently, look up the Noah Donohue case and tell me that PSNI are not protecting their loyalist buddies. Some posters think it was all the IRAs doing and it was not, maybe according to some politicians and journalists like Eoghan Harris and we've how he turned out.

You really need to read up.

Everything was rosey and some lads thought they'd attack poor farmers. What fairytale of green and pleasant land historics are you dreaming of? Your ignorance is just not believable.

We'd a group of terrorist/freedom fighters (which ever you prefer) fighting against institutional state supported murder.

Talk about one sided. You've no empathy for the Irish in all this.

I thought you believed everyone on this island was Irish, so when I have empathy for the farmers targetted by the PIRA, how are the suddenly not Irish in your view?

I am well versed and understanding of the tactics of the PIRA.

I am not in the 75% camp because you will always have people who will vote against it even though they can accept it. However, that doesn't mean I am in the 50% plus one vote thanks to demographic change that Sinn Fein perpetually inhabit.

There was an interview with Naomi Long in last week's Sunday Business Post which neatly addressed this point. She talked about the possibility of a border poll, and expects one in her lifetime (I don't agree by the way) but she also talked about the Sinn Fein inability to address their past which is a bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

You always conflate Nationalism with SF, Blanch. I think we've had enough interactions at this point for it to be clear that I think they're about as much use as a chocolate teapot and I would prefer they were never within an arses roar of power.....but you still have yet to address several problematic issues with your position.

1) While we are all in agreement that a referendum passing with ~50%+1 type figures, how do we address sticking with the status quo when a majority don't wish to do so while respecting the GFA in both word and spirit?

2) How can you credibly oppose passing a vote for unification with a 50%+1 vote while simultaneously supporting an NI independence position that has zero cross community support and has barely ever reached double figures in support, almost exclusively among hardline Loyalists

Those positions just don't mesh, Blanch. It seems more like you've decided you oppose Unification (mostly because SF support it, so you'll side with anyone who opposes it), and worked backwards from there.

• Advertisement

Ha. I never mentioned the word Protestant once. I said 'poor farmers'.

I then explained to you that it wasn't as one sided as you peddle.

The only ethnic cleansing that took place in Northern Ireland during the last half-century was the PIRA policy of shooting any rural Protestant farmer in the border counties who was a part-time policeman or part-time UDR. The fact that they used that facade to hide their ethnic cleansing made it worse.

You singled out Protestants not I. You ignored the plight of the Irish which is what I was educating you on.

Now you ignore my comment and imagine up your own.

Is poor Connor in a bit of bother up North……. Something about rates over collection or sommit.?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

Not this again Bendar, Carthy still motoring along in the fast lane, despite you predicting the lads career "was in jeopardy" and he was in serious bother.

Did that Harris gype ever get around to changing the dail record, surely to jaysis he's had long enough now to have "seriously considered it"?

Some lads never learn lol 🤣

Have to say no idea what that post is supposed to mean.

Anyway, we will have to see how the leak pans out.

Poor Connor seems to be in the firing line quite a bit…….uhmm….

whats the story with this whistleblower ?

Presumably MaryLou and her ‘team’ will fully support the whistleblower like they have done 100% up to now.

Standing by with the popcorn……….🙄

Presume this “whistle blower “ will be supported all the way by SF.

Whats going on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Have you an obsession with Conor Murphy Brendan? You were making vague accusations about him yesterday, and less than 24hrs later, you are linking to an article, 2 years old in March that has been linked to, rehashed and discussed on this site ad nauseam with no-one having anything concrete on the man to discuss, only, as I already said "vague accusations".

Normally I'd skip past the likes of what is clearly yet another non story here, but I feel I must take you up on it simply because you were trying to "police" the Leo Varadkar thread, giving out non stop about people "raking over guts" and complaining that "there was nothing new to the story"

If you don't mind me saying so, you're coming across as extremely hypocritical and a person who seems to think they can set unwritten rules or standards, they themselves don't need to adhere to.

What ‘vague accusations” am I making B?

Just asking questions, and seeking some clarifications.?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

You made vague accusations about Murphy yesterday, something about rates, I googled, nothing came up therefore, they were vague. You've since posted a second time, this time with a link to a tweet which gives me some background to the "rates" line you threw out yesterday, and thanks for that, I will read up on that today, and will follow how the story progresses.

However, can I ask why did you post a link to a story from March 2020 at midday today about the Paul Quinn murder, as if it was somehow relevant to the story about an apparent Whistleblower within Murphy's department and excessive rates?

Did the Quinn family receive excessive rates? I'm not getting the link between the two story's. Perhaps you'll clarify.

• Advertisement

Unless I'm mistaken, most if not all parties up North put up candidates for the NI Assembly. Presumably that does indicate some decent level of cross community support?

Advertisement