Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mammy dropping kids to school in the car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Plenty of parents are heading home to bed or off to coffee after as well

The issue is the ones who dont need to be there and for the ones that do, its the me fein i need to park right at the gate and block everyone else that is the issue

3-5k is easy for infants and then further as they get older, probably few enough further than that from primary anyway in cities or country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The older a man gets the further he had to walk to school :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

walking bus

let 2/3 parents supervise 20 children walking the last 3km to school

park away from school and walk there together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

just park away from school and walk the last few 100m yourself, no need to over complicate things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My kids school is accross two fields from where they live so no issues there walking going to school.

But when we were going to the same school when we were young we lived in a house just a few hundred meters down the road from there.

You couldnt go across that field then because there was no bridge on the river at the time. So you used to have to walk 1km to the old bridge along the road.

We used to play football on the road on the way to and from school, with goals in the middle of the road there was that little traffic. That was about 30 years ago.

I cycle that road now every day now and im afraid for my life with the traffic on it now.

No way would i let a child walk along that road nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Gosh this thread is pretty unpleasant. As the dad of a kid going to school next year I may very well have to end up driving her to school. My school of choice which is easily walkable to didn't have a place for her. The school she'll hopefully get a place in is about 3km away. I don't know how many 5 year olds are street savvy. If we get somewhere that is walkable to, then yes we'll do that but there may be no choice but to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Again admission polices and infrastructure.

And I'll add as part of infrastructure we are creating lifestyles and planning infrastructure that gives people no choice except to drive.

Look at wfh. That must stop a lot driving to school and to work. But there's huge resistance to it. Building massive estates with no school provision. No jobs nearby.

Buses used to do a good job, often private buses too.

When I was young we all made our way to school by walking, buses and some cars. But there never seemed to be the amount of cars there are now. Maybe it’s that so many of the parents are driving these large SUV’s it seems so clogged up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not just that, those estates that we are building aren't joined up to others so many people walking from one estate to another may have a long walk around both estates to arrive. However, people in an existing estate often don't want adjacent estates to access their one.

That's due to poor design. If you have to make someone else's road a rat run, even for pedestrians, its a sign of very poor planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

When I was young practically obody had two cars. Dads generally had a car and drove it to work, mammys stayed at home with the kids. Now for better or worse lots of families, I’d say most but not sure, both parents work and usually have two cars. Often they drop on the way to work. Cars take up an enormous amount of space so it looks like everyone is driving when it’s not at all. 50/60 cars pulling up to a school take up a huge amount of space but they might only account for 100 pupils with another 150 walking or cycling. Whilst I think it’s a problem I think a lot is perception. Your use of the word seems is spot on.

When school is not on there's an immediate drop in traffic. Number of cars is still the number of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well not really unless the school is exactly on the route from the house to work. So there might be the same amount of cars, although obviously a bit less because there are plenty who just drop to school and go home, on the road but the journeys will be direct so less traffic going to the schools and back to the route to work. Plus schools all tend to have roughly the same start times so it adds to the timing but parents not dropping may leave a bit earlier depending on how their hours work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

We dont do it ourselves but you can sense parents are under pressure in the morning and have no patience for adding to it. Getting kids up, dressed and fed and out the door (sometimes on their own as the other partner is gone to work beforehand), and then trying to get into work on time themselves. Its a ball of stress but its the way the modern world has gone with both parents often having to work.

We have 2 young kids ourselves and they will test you most mornings, tiredness tantrums, dragging of heels, wont get dressed etc. And then kids can and do drag their heels walking to school. It can be painful sometimes, one kid racing off on the scooter and other lagging behind.

It's not a slight difference. It's a dramatic difference.

Many parents coordinate so one of them is off work at the same time as the schools are closed. Hence drop in cars.

Anyone I work with who has primary school age kids, was on annual leave for the mid term a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

First off...I didn't say that it's commonplace to see someone cycling with 2 passengers and all 3 carrying a heavy bag. I said that one often sees a cyclist carrying a passenger and sometimes two passengers. I was comparing the wight of a passenger to the weight of a schoolbag...i,e, that a human is a lot heavier than a bag of books, yet some posters kid is two weak to carry a schoolbag on a bicycle but people can quite comfortabley ride a bicycle with a human being sitting on the carrier.

These kids all seem to be managing and some of thoses schoolbags look pretty weighty to me.

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrQ-d2PBUto [/youtube]

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojb7OKz6wKk [/youtube]

But I'll try and get you some pics of people cycling through Amsterdam carrying passengers.

seems I can't embed videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

And a warden with a baton to hammer the shite out of any adult cyclists who choose not to follow the rules themselves at pedestrian crossings, junctions etc .

:)

Those bags look a hell of a lot smaller then what my daughter used to have to carry to secondary school.

She actually sees an osteopath now for issues with her back, I blame the schoolbag.

• Advertisement

No, I always wore a seatbelt, but it's predictable that you come out with such immature, snotty and extreme rubbish like that. Someone says they walked to school and your infantile response is "Oh and I suppose you got up at the crack of dawn and went out with your bow and arrow to "catch" breakfast."

We don't get monsoons in Ireland. Yes it rains quite often but it doesn't rain everyday and you could go weeks without it raining during the school commute timeframe. It might rain later in the day and clear up or rain in the evening or during the night but it wasn't a frequent occurence for it to be bucketing down between 8:30 and 9:00 am in my recollection. And kids aren't going to dissolve if it rains. Put on the anorak and pull up the hood and put on the wellies. If a kid goes to the park playing and the heavens open is it the end of the world? Whoever invented those Dunnes Stores snorkel jackets must have made a fortune because EVERYONE in school wore one. They were waterproof AND fur-lined.

Stop putting words in my mouth, Flinty, I never said "many" and I never said they were carrying heavy bags. You shoe-horned that in there to give yourself a get-out clause in case I posted a picture that conforms to my description but doesn't strictly adhere to yours. Go back and read what I wrote.

Studies prove you wrong.

Climbing walls, trees, monkey-bar frames help develp a child spatial and directional awareness and problem solving skills.

Are you nuts? A mile on a bike is nothing.....5 minutes maybe as Flinty mentioned. Send a kid out to play on his/her bike with mates at 10am on a Saturday morning. They'll be out all day cycling around, racing, trying to do wheelies. They'd probably rack up 20 miles on the bike during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Just showed the kids this! They think it's hilarious. "Any distance over a mile is too far to ask a kid to cycle" LOL!! no wonder there's an obesity problem. One of mine skateboards in over a mile, across roads and it's only rained twice since he went back.

They want to know where you live.

Post edited by John_Rambo on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A common failing in this country is an unwillingness or inability to purchase and wear proper rain gear. Its hard for some to understand but there are countries far wetter and colder than this one and *gasp* people actually live in them.

Unless the school is only up the street, if you are able to drive your child(ren) and some neighbouring children to school when it's pouring rain, you're not being an overly mollycoddling parent.

A mile isn't too much for all kids of course but of course it is for small children.

Really? What I see is a load of people cycling to school. I Also see some mothers passing by with a pup on front and back. Now shall we ask all these people if it is raining that they won't bike or walk to school...forget about the weight of the books. Apparently it's too cold to cycle to school if it's wet.

These Dutch kids cycle to school EVERDAY...and get home in the evening to have a snack and do their homework before dinner at maybe 6 or 7.....but it's too fcuking dangerous and wet and cold in Ireland. They have to be dropped off in a steel tank.

And the best response is...."Oh, you walked to school 20 miles in your bare feet." ... just because you walked 1k

• Advertisement

REALLY?

I don't know of a single mother who would allow her child to get wet or cold. Nor do I know of a single woman who would stand by and see their pup or anyone elses be cold. Women are like that, you know...but they will watch as children, theirs and other's wrapped up, go out to play or to school.

Strange breed ...these women.

Advertisement