Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How important is a man's job when it comes to dating?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

What a man earns or what job doesn't bother me but it is important he works and does something.

I have my own money, I don't need to spend his.

You might not be ok if she ends up with half your salary plus 7 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Women who earn more than their husbands have a way higher divorce level. Multiple studies have proven this time and again.

There is no speculation.

There is no point in lying.

Women marry, at least in part, for the money a man earns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Money holds very, very little interest for you but if they can't afford to take you for dinner or a weekend away then you are out the door?

Makes sense...

Absolutely zero in my post said I only want a wealthy man - and plenty supports that that's not how I feel yet you just say I do anyway. That's nuts. Where in my post indicates that I only want a wealthy man? Be honest - don't lie like you've done above. Highlight where. And obviously someone saying they don't want a partner bumming money off them all the time (male or female) does not equate to only wanting a wealthy partner. I mean that's just an extremely dishonest way to present what I said.

You won't even acknowledge the reality of all those women who aren't with wealthy men. What is it that makes you want to believe it so badly? Does your daughter know you consider her to be only interested in wealth when it comes to relationships because she is female?

In a relationship, both pay for things obviously. Sometimes they treat each other. That last bit is deranged - if a woman doesn't boast about paying for everything, doesn't gloat about it etc... that can only mean she's looking for no man but a wealthy man? Have you lost the plot?

It really shouldn't be difficult to believe that there are women who don't solely look for a wealthy man. And nobody really thinks that either - especially when there is so much evidence to the contrary (which you ignored in your misrepresentation of what I said). Those who insist it's true though (knowing that it's not) well that's just indicative of an issue.

It's really straightforward - a man being wealthy is not what all women look for. Otherwise there would be many many men single.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

How do you explain all those women who marry men not earning great money?

Where did she say he has to pay for both himself and her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

It makes total sense to anyone who is capable of understanding context and can read a two-paragraph post beyond its first sentence. Not being crippled by debt, and being able to eat out and get away for the odd weekend, etc, are relatively basic things that you don't need to be rolling-in-cash to be in a position to do.

• Advertisement

Not wanting to be in a relationship with someone who's a total freeloader (not including job seekers or students because they are not freeloaders) means only wanting to be in a relationship with a wealthy person because there's no in between.

And if you pay for yourself most of the time but don't pay for absolutely every single thing (which would be an unreasonable demand in any relationship, of a man or woman)... that also means you only want to be in a relationship with a wealthy person.

Bonkers.

It's like a guy saying he isn't attracted to very overweight women being told that that means he is only attracted to super skinny women, as if there's no in between. And then insistence that he only likes skinny women even if he says he likes curvy slim women.

Except they're not of course. Only a minority are wealthy. Most people earn a middling income. Today, most women earn their own salary too.

Because that can only exclusively mean they want to find out whether he's rich? I mean it probably does sometimes (not saying there are absolutely NO women who are only interested in wealth) but it's also just an ice breaker, small-talk, "getting to know someone" question between two people who don't yet know each other and have limited things to say. Guys have always asked me that question early on too. I don't think there's anything suspicious about it. It's one of those basic things like "Where are you from?" which anyone asks of anyone.

"As long as he's not a longterm dole head (which I'm assuming a man wouldn't find attractive in a woman either) or as long as he's not constantly scrounging (which again isn't attractive from a woman, but there are guys who entertain it if she's hot) there are numerous other important things."

As you know perfectly well, the above does not mean I am only interested in wealthy men. There is a vast chasm between being someone who is constantly freeloading and someone who is wealthy. Nothing I said whatsoever indicated I am only interested in wealthy men. Your posts with their unashamed slanderous lies and misrepresentation are unhinged. "When you're explaining, you're losing" does not apply when pointing out someone's vindictive lies being thrown at you. And the last part is also just made up, it isn't simple.

What's raised my ire is your misogyny (yes that is what making negative statements about women as a whole is), blatant misrepresentation of what I'm saying (and omission of chunks) and barking mad, illogical posts - starting with your dismissal of Dial Hard, apropos nothing.

Women who earn more than their husbands are over 30% more likely to divorce.

Why is that?

• Advertisement

We can use the same argument to "prove" that men don't care about looks in a female.

else:

"How do you explain all these men who marry objectively unattractive women"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

[quote] How important is a man's job when it comes to dating?

[quote/]

Well its not a job interview is it, so why would that even be an issue.

Love has no cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,611 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

God almighty have we boomeranged back to 1950s!

I really though those days were gone of seeing men as main earner in relationship.

A job a person does would be important to me in terms of their work ethic not in monterary terms.

I think its very dangerous if one person sees the other in relationship as main breadwinner, I don't think it's healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

You don't earn 50K do you?

I'm doing something very wrong. My salary is €54K. I'm married with two children and a mortgage, my wife works also. We cannot afford frequent eating out, we certainly can't afford new cars or plenty of travel, and we do very much need to watch the pennies.

Perhaps if you're a single person living at home or paying a small mortage you'd live a lavish life on €50K (eating out a lot, travelling a lot and driving new cars would qualify in my eyes as a lavish lifestyle), but, I suspect most can't.

• Advertisement

There is job and money - but there is also the reason any given person is in that job and money. The two are not the same things and quite often people can moan that dating sucks for them because of their job/earning when in fact the job/earning is the symptom not the disease.

You can have a given job/salary/wage as part of having your life together - getting after it - focusing on your goals and paths in life - being competent and healthy - and being all round stable. Another person can have the exact same job but be all over the place in life and not keeping it together at all.

If during dating people pick up on the latter they might have no interest in you - but you might then go home and blame it on the job/salary because that is easy to do. Just like the posters/threads on this forum we often see where eternally single guys are complaining they are doomed before they begin because X. Where X can be "I am just not tall enough" "My wallet is not fat enough" "My dick is not big enough" "I am just not objectively hot enough" "Irish women are too picky / stuck up" "the feminists have turned women against men" and many more. We hear so many of them even on this forum alone.

And they entirely ignore the multitudes of short or working class or unemployed or obese or other guys and gals who all find love and settle down. They simply never try to map their theory onto the real world and notice it does not hold true. Why would they? They have an easy excuse for their being single that A) absolves them of responsibility and/or B) makes the gender of their affection out to be the issue rather than themselves. And then people like Jordan Peterson get a career out of suggesting that maybe, just maybe, some guys should perhaps try taking some control and/or responsibility over their own lives.

In my own field there are people earning a hell of a lot more than me who cant get a relationship. There are people "below" me with the opposite situation. And I am anything but a high earner myself given I have turned down most promotions and salary raises because I am fixated on a particular work/life balance. I am not the highest earner in my relationship at all either and that disparity is only going to widen in the next 20 years I expect.

Human relationships are complicated and while we might like easy answers and explanations and generalisations for things - if you find you are single and do not want to be but keep failing to change the situation - simply saying "I just don't earn enough" is probably going to be massively simplistic and not at all what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Read something before, that said women are more attracted to the possibility that a man could become wealthy or has the traits to be wealthy than the money. Kind of makes sense. If a guy is sensible, intelligent and hardworking he's probably a good long term bet. Being very wealthy proves they are some of those things generally, but the potential is usually enough.

It depressing though, looks are so important for men and financial security for women. But that's just our evolution to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Except that's not what I said, is it? He needs to be able to afford to join me in these activities, i.e. pay for himself. I don't expect anyone to bankroll me, as I clearly stated in my original post.

On that note, I've also seen men on RI told to avoid or dump women who for various reasons might not earn as much as them - or those who express a desire to be stay at home mothers in the future (they'll "live off" their husbands) - so I think it goes both ways.

What are those figures from? I don't agree with just throwing out unsupported figures to support bias.

It still doesn't negate the fact that most women don't marry a wealthy man.

Exactly. When seeing figures like that thrown out it pays to check the source and see what the actual study said.

But let's for a moment assume the stat is entirely accurate. It would be madness to jump to any conclusions about what it means. The temptation above seems to be for the user to jump to the conclusion that this is evidence that women want money from their man and if they marry and the man does not end up earning - she ditches him.

But that is one of a multitude of possible explanations for that kind of statistic. It could for example be a toxic masculinity thing where the man in question feels they should be earning more "as a man". And consistently not doing so sends him into a (possibly mostly self inflicted) pit of despair, depression, resentment, alcoholism or more. So is the divorce because of that?

Or for another example it could be not that one person is earning more than the other but - together they are not earning enough and the stress of this causes issues in the marriage. Money problems are often a predictor of marital problems. So the stat would be showing a money issue as a whole not specifically what the woman is earning compared to the man.

Finally - and possibly most importantly - the statistic in isolation says nothing at all. It needs to be compared to other statistics. How does it compare to women earning the same? Women earning less? How does it compare to situations where they are not earning less or more - but the partner is in fact not earning at all because they are a stay at home parent for example?

Most men dont marry a playboy model.

Just search 'high earning women and divorce' or words to that effect. And pick from the many available supporting reports/studies.

Incidentally if you do see a man married to a playboy model, high chance he is/was rich/famous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I momentarily thought the thread would be about the man's role in the dating process, booking dinner and stuff, and the OP would be a woman complaining about feckless feckers who left all that to her.

In fairness you cited a very specific figure. 30%. So asking people to go and google this for you is a bit crass. The user did not ask you are there studies out there at all. He asked you which study specifically you lifted your figure from. So googling a vague phrase and getting 100s of google results is not going to bring the answer to the question actually asked which is: specifically where did you lift the 30% figure from?

And a refusal to cite your exact source does kinda leave the impression you probably just made the figure up yourself. Which I doubt is your intention. As they say 97.465769843545468435486% of statistics are made up on the spot :)

Anyway even your last sentence there - much like the 30% figure - does not allow one to jump to any conclusions about money. Many playboy models are already moving in certain socials circles for example. And most people marry into their own circles. Because you rarely meet - let alone fall for - someone outside it. So yes people moving in the circles of people with money - are likely to marry someone with money. Just like - as was mentioned earlier in the thread - most people end up marrying someone close to their own age. Because more often than not you are around people your own age.

That said though - famous people and such are not often representative of the norm. Using them anecdotally to back up a generalisation about people as a whole is risky ground. It rarely maps onto average realities.

Anyway the sentence "Most men dont marry a playboy model" is a bit silly. The fact is most women are not playboy models. You might as well say "Most men do not marry astrophysicists" :) It would make exactly the same amount of sense. And still say nothing at all.

Saying most women don't marry wealthy men does prove (quote marks not needed) that there are women who don't reject every guy who isn't wealthy/don't just look for wealth. Some folks here literally *want* all women to be gold diggers (easier to be sweepingly negative about us) and do strange denials of reality in other to keep their delusion going.

I mean, yeah men like good looking women, and women like good looking men, but they don't just reject every non stunning person they meet, because most people are more complex than that, and like other qualities too.

If a guy thinks that it's impossible for a woman to meet a man and really like him because he's sound, funny, physically attractive to her... they have a distorted view of women (but nobody actually thinks women only go for wealth, when there's so much evidence to the contrary).

• Advertisement

One curious thing my mother advised me once when I was young.

Don’t pretend to be as clever as are; men like to feel they are the more intelligent and have the solution to things.

I told her I’d rather dispense with a man who would prefer me to play dumb, but I do have to admit there was a tiny element of truth in it. I think that is just human nature and could apply equally to any gender, but culturally in my Mum’s time men were reared to set the intellectual pace. At the same time she did observe I seemed to be unconsciously outsmarting a guy, and that’s when she preferred her advice.

This (@[Deleted User])

"And they entirely ignore the multitudes of short or working class or unemployed or obese or other guys and gals who all find love and settle down. They simply never try to map their theory onto the real world and notice it does not hold true. Why would they? They have an easy excuse for their being single that A) absolves them of responsibility and/or B) makes the gender of their affection out to be the issue rather than themselves."

That I don't know. Personally I find his brashness and arrogance unattractive. I don't think he looks like a goblin though.

His income matters a little, just like mine does. Ideally we have a similar level of disposable income so we can enjoy nice things together, take turns paying for stuff or split bills without either of us feeling like we'll have to skip paying our rent to make up for it. If it's a longer-term relationship then his approach to money also matters, i.e. is he flash on payday and broke the other 30 or does he have things he's saving for etc.? Generally I earn more than the men I've dated and it doesn't bother me but occasionally it bothers them. I'm f in my late 30s and it seems perfectly normal to be interrogated these days by every tinder match about how much I make, what car I drive, when did I buy my house and how did I afford it. The romance of it all 🙄

Yea throwing around insults makes you look bad not me. I will worry about how I write my posts and you worry about how you write yours thanks. I use the quote button when it is materially useful to do so. Directly replying in sequence to someone - it is not required.

If you can not back up your own statistics with citations - again that makes you look bad not me. Citation dodging is common around here and no one buys it that I have seen.

You said 30% and you can not find a citation for your having thrown out that figure. Fine. At least we know that now.

50% > 30% Albert.

The reason you dont use the quote button is because you dont want the person youre spouting mealy mouth shyte to, to catch you and call you out.

It is required. Some of us are in work on mobile.

Exactly. 50% is not 30%. You were asked where you got the figure of 30% and you can not find it. You seem to be reacting to being asked where the figure came from as if it is some kind of attack on you. Let me remind you of what you said:

"Women who earn more than their husbands are over 30% more likely to divorce. Why is that?"1

You actually asked outright for an explanation of the figure! Now how is someone to answer you if they/we can not look at the figure you asked about and how it was formed???? Why even ask the question if you blatantly do not want an answer?

Again however how someone uses the website or the quote function is not your concern or yours to dictate. I use it when it is useful to do so. And clearly it is not "required" as here you are discussing all my posts with me perfectly well.

You use it when you want your response to be seen, and you dont use it when you want to hide.

Dont believe me on the 30% then, why would I give a tiny shyte.

Youve been linked to a 50% stat, which supports my post even more. Deny the truth see if it works.

That might be when you personally use it. Do not assume your reasons are mine. Mine are my own and differ from yours wildly.

Again it is not that I "believe" you or not (it happens that I do not, but thats immaterial). The point - again - is that you openly asked "why" this 30% figure exists (assuming it does which seemingly it does not). It seems my "crime" here is to take the question and openly try to answer it as if you actually were being honest in wanting an answer.

To answer you regardless - honestly - requires seeing the background behind the statistic. By asking you to give the citation no one has "denied the truth" as you put it. Quote a single place where I wrote you were wrong or I denied any truth. You won't find it. Because it didn't happen. You asked about the figure and to answer your direct question two people (I am one) simply asked you where the figure came from. And you got triggered by this for reasons I do not understand.

For example your latest post about the "50%" is a link to a news media opinion piece. Not a study at all. And the 50% mentioned there is a single sentence lifted entirely out of all context by the author. The actual study for anyone interested is here:

And the 50% figure is a lot more complicated and has a lot more nuance behind it than the opinion piece goes into. And it has a lot less to do with relative earnings than your own summaries on the thread so far. The conclusion of the paper is that this has a lot less to do with money and a lot more to do with "Gender Identity Norms".

In fact in their own conclusions they write: "In future work, we would like to better understand the long-run determinants of gender identity. While the evidence in this paper suggests that the behavioral prescription that “a man should earn more than his wife” helps explain economic and social outcomes even in the most recent decade, this does not imply that this prescription is as strong today as it was in the past." suggesting they - unlike some of the posters on this thread - are playing down the effects of relative income both now and going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

When Peter Crouch was asked what he.s be if he wasnt a soccer player .. A Virgin

Woman hate causes such anger.

Heh some people evaluating the incentives of the INCELs would suggest that "anger causes so much woman hate" :)

Quote me you coward! I can read your mind and I know why you're doing it. It's for some sinister reason all in my head.

Also, what you're saying is well thought out and nuanced and I don't like that as it shows up the holes in my non argument so it's rambling shyte.

Women are what I say they are, irrespective of all the evidence to the contrary around me, because I don't like them.

That's funny. I wish to subscribe to your news letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I've been out of the dating scene a long time but someone's income is not something I ever cared about. I'm also not someone who wants or expects the man to pay for everything but someone being stingy is a definite turn off. I was seeing a guy years ago and he suggested going away for a weekend, he said he'd pay for the accommodation the first night if I paid the second. That was grand, he was driving and landed us at a B&B for the first night which he paid for, then we headed off the next day to continue our journey and he drove into a posh hotel for the night I was to pay for. It was early days in the relationship so I let it go but then on the journey home, he pulled in for petrol and informed me that I'd have to pay for that as well. It was a sign to me that we were never gonna be compatible.

• Advertisement

I'm laughing at this but only because it's so terrible!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Women ask as it is a barometer of several different traits: intelligence, education, drive, earning power, stability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have written about my experience of this in another thread. Started going out with this teacher years ago. She had a car and I didnt as I was still training. The one and only time I was actually in her car she dropped me off at the bus station in a neighbouring town. She was passing it anyway on her way home.

The following Sunday she asked me for €5.00 for petrol. You wouldnt mind but the times we went for drinks and food I always paid without question. Anyway, she got her €5.00 and the P45 about a week later.

Well that's not very progressive is it? Don't you think it's time women started supporting their partners for a change, you know for the sake of 'equality' and such like what everyone keeps banging on about these days?

I don't think anyone could hold it against you for leaving such a tight arse. And I don't think anyone would hold it against you either if you expected him to pay for the all meals accommodation etc. because that's the traditional thing for a man to do.

What pisses everyone off is when you have articles like in another thread where people are claiming women are working for free for the rest of the year and all this kind of bullsh!t. Equality when it suits. Thankfully they are just a very vocal minority (yet)

• Advertisement
Advertisement