Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Customs Admin Fee

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Of course it's right. It's charged on the total cost of the item plus all carriage. You chose to buy in the UK and pay UK vat plus the seller's p&p and addresspal costs. That's the cost of the items coming in to Ireland. You ended up paying two lots of VAT as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

I have no problem with buying from the UK, and paying the AddressPal fees for the service it is. The part that I was annoyed with was paying VAT on the AddressPal 6.50 charge, which I already had paid VAT on as part of the 6.50 charge - surely that is not right, why would anyone want to pay VAT on a product/service twice? It's not right...

The second payment is import duty. The first is vat on carriage. Why send to a UK address and be hit for extra carriage and both UK and Irish taxes? You're adding at least 20% to the cist.

Like it or not those are the rules and saying it's not right won't make it so.

The second payment was not import duty, it was VAT on both the item from the UK (free postage to UK virtual address) and then the 6.50 AddressPal fee. The AnPost CS rep on chat even confirmed the AddressPal fee was part of the VAT. The item itself was £40.45 and that worked out at EUR 47.35 on my debit card... then this customs email comes in, where I would have expected the customs value to be that of the actual product £40.45/EUR47.35 and not include the AddressPal fee nearly 10 euro higher at EUR58.51. Not good. The VAT charged should only be on the item and UK postage, if it was there. Surely I had already paid VAT is part of the 6.50 AddressPal fee.

You keep ignoring that the Import duty is VAT and must be charged on the carrier fees as well. So you must pay it in the addresspal fee and an Posts admin charge.

You just don't seem to get it,

• Advertisement

It's pretty clear in the screenshot I posted that the import duty was 0.00. It's on a separate line from the VAT. But anyway... I'm done. In the end, the overall full price of the item (including all charges) was still 45% cheaper than what I would've had to pay here - so it's still a win - happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I just submitted my tax return and 4 figure payment. If Revenue ask for a further 45% as a fee for processing the return, blood will be spilt.

Having to pay a fee for others to do a job the taxpayer already pays them to do has always struck me as wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

An Post aren’t paid to maintain an account of probably close to €1M per month to pay out VAT on our behalf. I haven’t got much time for the way An Post do business, but a standard charge for customs clearance with a broker is between €40 and €60.

With regard to the previous complaint, An Post are adhering to EU and Irish Revenue rules on importation. Every single item imported to the Eu has to account for ALL transport charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You need to understand what the landed cost is.

The landed cost includes ALL costs incurred when an item has reached the EU. (Or vice versa if going from EU to UK)

Your landed cost is the item cost plus the address pal delivery cost plus the address pal service cost.

Add those three parts up and you have your landed costs.

Same basic calculation applies worldwide between customs borders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Demelza

Anyone know if Import VAT is liable from purchases from NI to IE? An Post charged me Import VAT but seller claims that there should be no duties from NI to IE

Anyone know if the single trade agree Includes VAT?

Has anyone had any luck with receiving a refund from An Post if the charge was an error?

Thanks ☺️

Revenue have set exchange rates each month, November was .8450 https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/importing-and-exporting/exchange-rates/2021/november-2021.aspx

Also, whilst you got "free" delivery, customs rules (worldwide) still requires a value on that delivery. A delivery is not actually free, you just get a 100% discount on the fee from the supplier. So looks like they applied a £3.50 delivery value. You see the same on amazon. They disocunt the delivery, but the vat on that fee still is charged

so cost of goods + 3.50 delivery value / .8450 + 6.50 fee = 58.51

This is the landed value.

Possibly sent via royal mail? - They may have bulk shipped to UK and then shipped back to here so that it seemed to be a package from Britain.

Email them and they should sort it. Include copy of receipt showing NI address

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Demelza

I emailed An Post customs and showed the delivery info, my receipt for the purchase which shows company is in NI. An Post refusing to sort it out as they told me twice that I have to follow it up with Royal Mail. I can't find anywhere to contact RM about this and it was An Post/Revnue that have the money anyway so RM aren't going to refund me. I have given up now. Since then, I received two gifts from family in UK. One was a Christmas cookie cutter set for the kids with a declared value of £15 inc postage. An Post valued it at €84! Another gift of a mug and scarf valued at £20 has been valued at €84 again. An Post won't budge on this because they claim that is the value Royal Mail put in their system, despite the receipt showing the correct declared value. Has anyone else experienced this inflation of value and where I can go to challenge it? I understand the rules for import duties etc but this seems outrageous to inflate value and not have a mechanism for verifying or disputing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Useful there is a thread dealing with this. I got a notification this morn from An Post for an item I bought from a .ie electrical spare parts site. Item was 6e.

The email from an Post is below

Customs charges:

Import Duty:

€0.00

Excise Duty:

€0.00

VAT:

€1.44

Admin fee:

€3.50

Total to be paid:

€4.94

To be paid by:

19/08/2023

Odd that there are no customs or duy involved but An Post charged me anyway. Is that the fee just for them having had to check the package value?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

May be a .ie domain but where do they ship their items from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It must be a low value item?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Could the business be physically located in Northern Ireland?

My reason for posting here.

I've been CONSIDERING having some model locomotives ( a pair of CIE era orange & black ) locos repaired in a shop in eniskillen... No I'm not avoiding marks models... aforementioned models have been on prolonged cold storage in our holiday home in co Sligo.

Seeing this sort of nonsense by an post.... I'll take them back to marks models so.

Read what they sent you. There's no Import Duty or Excise Duty but there is VAT. You're being charged the VAT on the import plus the admin fee. All perfectly in order. And An Post has the lowest admin fee of any of the carriers. A .IE website means nothing. The item came from a non EU location. An Post don't decide who gets charged what: That's down to customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

If it buy-spares shop , that .ie parts shop is located in the uk and states that if it is shipped from the UK and customs duty and taxes can apply. The problem is you do not know whether they will ship the part from the uk or france. Best to avoid them. Nothing whatsoever to do with an post. Just a crappy retailer who can be bothered to make a few changes to their systems

"Orders may be sent from our distribution centre in the UK or France. Certain shipments may incur local customs duties and taxes that will be made payable to your local postal provider. Duties and taxes will vary depending on the delivery destination and the value of your order; unfortunately because these are paid locally we cannot give you a breakdown of possible charges in advance of your order being placed. If you have provided us with a valid email address or phone number you will contacted by your local postal provider to make payment. These duties and taxes are non-refundable."

• Advertisement
Advertisement