Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm not taking about albums or alternative or anything like that, I'm talking about Top 40 air play.

When you look back on these TOTP shows you can remember the songs that "stood the test of time" because they "stood the test of time".

You could have heard them on the radio any day in 2021 or the intervening years.

But 1991 was very lean on those, I spend most of my time fast forwarding TOTP 1991 saying "can't remember that", "who ?", " never heard that before".

TOTP 1991 is full of forgettable songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

top 40 is shíte, was shíte, and has always been shíte. Sure if you looked at any episode of TOTP from the 60s you could have the Stones on one minute and then Englebert bloody Humperdinck or some other eejit

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The final two parts of ‘The 80s: Music’s Greatest Decade’ just started on BBC Two.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Did you go to see The Specials, Welshie?

Was it amazing?

I did indeedy!

R U U U U U D E BOY!

Skanked the night away :)

• Advertisement

Nearly forty years on, and Bronski Beat’s ‘Smalltown Boy’ still resonates to this day.

To anybody who has felt prejudice against being ginger and Scottish.

‘Luka’!

TOP TUNE!

Peter Buck playing my guitar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Pixxxxeeeeehhhhssss!

Monkeh 🙉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just catching up on TOTP... this new format is a bit naff and the presenters particularly bland.

Instead of building up to the #1 / top ten its now an afterthought in the middle of the show with no fanfare...

The live performances are the only change for the better (well... depending on whether the singer can sing)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Ridiculous band - go and see them if you get the chance.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

Hoping @Skid X is okay, no roundups posted since 21-10?

I knew he was taking a break for a week, but has he posted since?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

It's just because nothing's been on, right?

Ahead of tonight's double serving, the first of which is exactly 30 years ago, let the court recall that the 2,000th edition of Top of the Pops was broadcast on Friday 13th September 2002, exactly 1,000 weeks ago tonight.

Poor Ed Sheeran will never get to break Status Quo's appearance record.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

14 weeks of Bryan Adams was a doddle compared to sitting through this effort

Freddie Mercury died on the Sunday that followed the airing of the current episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some good tunes on Sky Arts at the minute

Eleven fúcking minutes of Michael fúcking Jackson, including several minutes with no "music" at all 🙄

Find myself looking at the C5's Britain's Biggest Hits series again ('73 tonight)

• Advertisement

Gee, they don't seem to want to say anyting about the Gary Glitter entries 🤔😂🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

4 hours of ABBA on BBC two, that's proper Saturday night television!

Not sure it's something I will watch but I have nothing but respect for the genius songwriting of ABBA. I soaked up their songs on the radio when I was five when they were still releasing singles without even realising it.

Spotted this in the listings for tonight on Sky Arts.

Roy Orbison & Friends: Filmed in Los Angeles, Roy Orbison performs some of his greatest hits with Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, k.d. lang, Bonnie Raitt, T Bone Burnett and Tom Waits.

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/49870c55-a16a-4388-b99f-51a29e73d72b

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's been on loads of times, but it is brilliant. All of these legendary performers just happy to be in the Big O's backing band.

Did they skip the Nirvana episode of Tappypappy? :(

Maybe it was Mike Smithed?

Adrian Rose'd

• Advertisement

We need to go back in time, find that presenter (which will be difficult as this lot are so bland and forgetful) and fire them. Into space.

Advertisement