Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The country is going well or disastrously depending on how you look at it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't think you even read your own link.

"There has been a significant monthly increase in Ireland's homelessness figures, although these statistics are down year-on-year."

There are always variations within a year, with some months up, some months down. No set of homeless statistics are linear from month to month. The trend is your friend, as they say. When we see continuous increases of six months or more, or we see figures higher than the previous year, that is the time to get concerned. But do you know what, I think you are intelligent enough to have known that already, you were probably trying to get a rise out of me.

So we can both accept that homeless figures are down 20% on 2019 and that the country is currently going well in terms of dealing with homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

No idea. Wasn’t commenting on that. You were. I know we'd reduced numbers but as we come out of restrictions the numbers climb back up.

We'd a comment about how better things are since the days of damp bedrooms so I said we'd record numbers of homeless children in recent years.

I was commenting on that because this is a thread about how the country is doing now compared to the past. Comparing the past to the further past really isn't relevant.

I was responding to a post about us no longer having damp bedrooms which was the 30s/40s/50s? But I didn't see you lose your lunch attacking that.

My reference was to modern, recent years and how we broke records in the number of homeless children. If anything I was bringing the discussion back to this time period.

IMO 2017 is now, especially considering we are returning upward. A year or two because of covid isn't a true gauge.

Have you read this back to yourself?

I was commenting on that because this is a thread about how the country is doing now compared to the past. Comparing the past to the further past really isn't relevant.

Comparing how we are doing now to the past stops at 2019, coincidentally when homeless numbers dropped? 2017 is 'the further past'? Ye olden times? Funny.

Post edited by Brucie Bonus on

• Advertisement

We weren't counting homeless children in the 1930s so that is a particularly stupid comparison that you are making. The problems of homelessness was far worse back then.

I have previously called out on these threads the silly romantic dancing at the crossroads vision that is painted of an Ireland in the 1930s that was housing everybody in social housing. It is a myth, a fable and a dangerous misrepresentation.

Here is a 1969 article from the Magill archives that paints a very different picture. There were 20,000 people on a housing list that required you to have two children first!!! So the homeless situation was many times worse then than now. The number of social houses being built was less than now. On all indicators the housing and homeless problems was far worse back in the day than it is now. So rosy pictures of councils building social housing for everyone in the audience are just not real.

I was responding to someone who was. Seriously keep up or be honest.

Yet we had more homeless children in 2017 than we ever had before, even after Murphy changed the definition for optics.

Won't be long before we are back there.

Eh, no we didn't have more homeless children in 2017 than we ever had before, that is a simplistic misunderstanding of the data. We started collecting the relevant data in 2013. So the "worst ever" in 2017 is only the worst since 2013. To make a grandiose hyperbolic claim that it is the worst ever, you have to produce something else to claim that.

This is right up there in terms of not understanding data with the poster who claimed that we were the worst ever in the world for Covid when we spent one week at the top of the statistics.

Is "relevant", the data you accept? But you'll accept how bad it was in the 1930's because it suits you?

Sure....

I could go on. I really could.

We actually were the worst in the world for covid.

Only you are putting a 'but for how long?' Caveat.

You're playing a blinder by the way.

So someone references the 30's or 40s to speak on how much better off we are. I say in recent years we had more child homeless than ever before.

You counter with 2017 being "the further past" and therefore not relevant and cite homeless figures from 2019. Then you go back to the 1930's to compare to today and claim we only start tracking relevant child homeless figures in 2013.

I think I've got that right.

All because I made FF/FG look bad with facts.

Nothing in your post contradicts a single point in my post.

(1) Records began in 2013, so worst ever is not worst ever, only worst since 2013. Different records were kept before that, but even they don't go back far. So "worst ever" is either a not understanding the data or not wanting to understand the data and misusing it.

(2) A Daily Mirror article backs you up with a headline that is not repeated in the body of the article. Well, I am blown over by that evidence. Could Google not do better than that?

(3) Then we have a lobby group making grandiose claims at a conference or something. Well, that is really persuasive.

(4) Finally, a third source, the Irish Post. Well that is funny.

(5) I think you missed it, but we were actually the worst in Europe for Covid for a day or two last week. Nobody made much of it because those daily figures included some backlog.

(6) As I have shown repeatedly, the homeless and housing problems were far worse in the 1930s to 1960s, an era which some around here think was a glorious time for social housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭funkyzeit100

The country is doing great if you don't look at information.

The country is doing dismally if you look at information.

It's a land of smoke and mirrors where misinformation rules, tax loopholes, a housing crisis that is swelling like a golf ball sized tumour right bang in the middle of the countrys forehead, energy costs running away with itself, significant unemployment in big demographics, and overall a people that have had their self-dignity and identity systematically eroded to such an extent that they treat themselves in contempt.

It's English colonisation again, with some new spices thrown in.

It's a grand old business disguised as a country.

Huh?

You say that the country is doing dismally if you look at information and then you post a series of unconnected anecdotes and misinformation to back that up!!!!

If you are claiming that information shows that the country is doing dismally, perhaps you could link to happiness surveys, international wellbeing surveys, comparative employment and economic data etc. that actually backs you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭funkyzeit100

"Misinformation"!

Yeah, let me go and dig through all the readily available information sources, compile them in a readily digestible form only for some halfwits to just point blank refuse it. I've done it plenty of times, and I've learned the lesson of leading horses to water.

As it says in the American constitution, "we hold these fu*king obvious observations to be self evident".

This is a world of multiple parallel truths, and it is that insipid stupidity that ruins nations.

Now you reply with the expected, and then Ireland can continue being a colony of ill informed mugs.

Slightly off topic, but the house I live in was built in the early 1930’s for a newly married couple. There are 5 similar houses in my area. Each had 4 rooms, no bathroom but an outside toilet. They are all on one acre of land, which was deemed sufficient to support a family with animals, chickens and a garden for veg. My point is that times change. Imagine telling a family that they’d be grand living like that 90 years later!

If you Google the definition of “Homeless”, it’ll tell you that it refers to a person without a home, typically living on the streets.

Isn’t it amazing how the “homeless” situation is always raised at this time of year, usually accompanied by pleas for donations.

Also, the definition of what living in poverty means, is a bit misleading. Going by the definition cited by charities, I’m living in abject poverty and have raised my children in poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Let me guess, when homeless numbers go up it's due to phoney and fake artificial manipulation from spongers, gaming the system, and charities looking to line the pockets of the bosses.

When homeless numbers go down, they're due to the government, and aren't at all being manipulated and open to differing levels of interpretation?

Take covid for example, when it arrived suddenly homeless numbers took a plunge and started going in the opposite direction fairly quickly, I've since seen various posters in here and other places quickly try and credit this to the government (and it's not unique to this country before you start), rather than the more realistic excuse, homelessness stopped rising because of the temporary ban on evictions, and the increase of bed capacity for example.

When those figures start going the opposite way again (coincidentally coinciding with the relaxation of restrictions) it's all down to spongers and charities being business's.

You guys really know how to outdo yourselves at time, peddling nonsense no one wants to buy.

I'll leave you there. You are getting into pedantry now. You keep creating new reasons to be upset about my mentioning the record numbers of homeless children.

Sources are worthy and relevant only when the stats suit you.

You further make a fool of yourself by comparing today to the 1930s when your initial gripe was 2017 being too far back. Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Though all the shops had you barred from their entrances since the last time?

Are you suggesting that the arrival of Covid saw those who weren't really homeless disappearing of the list for fear of the chance of catching Covid? Or do you have an alternative explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Good morning Blanch, I know from previous interactions with you on other threads that you have a "habit" of either misreading posts, and then mistakenly arguing a point based on what you misread.

Another way of looking at it, is that you might be purposely trying to misrepresent what someone said, and then use that misrepresentation as the back bone of a false narrative to base your argument on.

You just asked me this.

Are you suggesting that the arrival of Covid saw those who weren't really homeless disappearing of the list for fear of the chance of catching Covid?

Even though my post clearly states what I was saying, here it is again.

Take covid for example, when it arrived suddenly homeless numbers took a plunge and started going in the opposite direction fairly quickly, I've since seen various posters in here and other places quickly try and credit this to the government (and it's not unique to this country before you start), rather than the more realistic excuse, homelessness stopped rising because of the temporary ban on evictions, and the increase of bed capacity for example.

there is is in black and white Blanch, where, or how could you "mistakenly" believe I "suggested" anything even remotely like "people who weren't really homeless disappearing for feat of catching covid"?

It's a strange hobby a presumably grown man has, that they'd tell blatant lies, trying to divert an argument to suit their own narrative, rather than deal with the facts typed out in front of them.

It's been shown time and again the numbers dropped directly due to covid. Some shysters like to peddle nonsense, get found out and wait a few months only to peddle it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

When their job title is " Teri's bitch" you can't expect much

It has been shown time and again that the numbers dropped at the same time as Covid. However, that is also the same time as some of the Government measures took effect.

Despite your claim, there has been zero actual evidence of the numbers dropping directly due to Covid, the difference between causality and correlation not either being considered or understood.

I haven't tripped myself up. You are using quotations from the poverty industry to back up your opinion. Fine, that's their opinion too, but I take it with the biggest grain of salt, because the biggest threat to the Peter McVerry Trust or the Ana Liffey Drug Project is that people find jobs and homes, so they want to prolong the misery of others to keep their livelihoods going. That is the way of all organisations like that.

I recall you citing the poverty industry only a few months ago because they reported good news.

Now this is an interesting article from a respected economist.

"The at-risk-of-poverty threshold at 60 per cent of the national median is currently around €15,000 for a single person (or €32,000 for a 2+2 family). This income would be at around the 90th percentile of the global income distribution."

What that means is that a person defined as being in poverty in Ireland is better off than 90% of the world's population. That is seriously impressive. Now, look at this quote:

"Nigeria where the average income of the top five per cent is lower than the income of the bottom five per cent in Ireland."

The misery junkies working in the poverty industry won't like this, so you won't see this being promoted by the charities anytime soon.

No, I think I cited the Department and it's figures.

If I were allowed quote from another thread I would.

Yep, using Nigeria to support the spin is a fun one.

• Advertisement

Well, as someone who rejects exclusionary nationalism, I do have concern for how we do here compared to my fellow man. And a situation whereby the poorest 5% in Ireland are wealthier than the richest 5% in Nigeria is of interest. Similarly, when the poorest 5% in Ireland are richer than 90% of the world, that is also saying something.

Advertisement