Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The bat video from a few years ago (was it in Kerry?) made it on to the stream at the 3:47:00 mark.

The majority of the presenters are just going by their screen names which always strikes me as strange

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I saw that thumbnail and remembered I was and old fart, and much removed from anything resembling contemporary gaming culture.

Then again, YouTube thumbnails are also notorious for over-emphasising "crazy" expressions or poses, even if it contradicts the actual tone (as apparently that's what appeals to typical users 🤷). Maybe they're not as annoying as they look lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

GamePass.

Hmmm. Skyrim Anniversary Edition. Xbox Series X. Seems to load a lot faster. Seems generally faster..was great before. I read about this black screen of death and laugh. Then it happens to me. FFS. Hope my save isn't screwed. Hope Bethesda produce a fix.

GTA SA. Give it a spin. Only ever played 5. Hmmm I get stuck on a bike with some drive by shooters continuously chasing me around empty streets. Don't have the heart for this. Plus it's not a nostalgia trip for me. GTA5 will do as my GTA trip.

There is something hypnotic about Skyrim alright. Think it's the music, atmosphere, pacing and scope. And I only played it this year! Just waiting for Bethesda now to fix that black screen of death bug that came free with the anniversary edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Just went to the G4 site to see who these people were.

The only one that I half recognise there was Fiona Nova, mainly from her time at Achievement Hunter.

She made a couple of good shows at AH from what I remember, but I always got the vibe that she never really wanted to be there.

I never really knew G4 in it's previous life, but I'll give it a try and see what it's like.

There's enough people there making differing content that something might be worth watching, nothing to lose :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The 2nd Dread film kept his helmet on for the whole film, they worked around that by simply not making Dread the focus of the story, he was a force of nature in the story, but the actual narrative was focused on Anderson, much like how a chunk of the Dread comics worked, Anderson was often the 'face' for a lot of Dread stories.

I can easily see something similar in a Halo film where they lean more into having Cortona in her hologram form (something the series has already leaned to more with the two halo wars games and more recent halo entries essentially having the A.I's being physically visible for a lot more during cutscenes etc) and essentially being the face.

As for Arcane it earns its buzz easily. It can be described as a sort of Steampunk City of God meets The Expanse and it's genuinely well written and beutifully executed. I looked into after and it seems next to nothing is drawn from the actual game's story, in fact a chunk of what happens in the series has only been fan theorized based on incredibly vague taunts (which were only in the english version of the game) so it looks like possibly something similar to the excellent Castlevania series, the people who made it just picked through all the rubbish as a whole and plucked out what works and tied it together themselves in a more well crafted story discarding all the elements that simply didnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone play this? Surviving the Aftermath. Was early access but released on console 2 days ago. 30 quid so it's a bit steep for what looks like a mobile game but could have some depth and longevity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Halo infinite has turned out to be excellent, I am pleasantly surprised.

I know the long time to kill isnt for everyone, and the relative lack of Aim Down Sights will be hard to adjust to for newcomers, but I'm having an absolute whale of a time with it. Its a welcome palate cleanser from the battlefield and Call of Duty parade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Halo Infinite gameplay is excellent, brings me right back to the old-school Halo 3 days. But boy the free-to-play mechanics, battle pass and progression system are miserable. I'm not a fan of MP progression systems generally (I'd prefer more MP games just let you casually jump in without the big metagame), but at least the likes of COD generously assault you with XP and whatnot.

Infinite currently just has a bad, tedious slog of a progression system, even with the incoming changes. Thankfully it's completely ignorable in-game, but it really smacks you with it in the menus :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Not sure if thats a dig at me, but the reason its getting praise, is because its given the fans what they wanted, a good halo game with good maps, balanced weapons, and removed or reworked aspects that were toned down such as sprint, ground pound, etc. CoD is pushing a ww2 game no one wanted, and BF stripped out the most unique part of its identity (the classes).

when BF1 released, people were sick to death of 'boots on the walls' off the back of advanced warfare / infinite / blops 3, who were all trying to (poorly) emulate titanfall, despite the fanbase complaining that they were sick of it for a few years at that point.

• Advertisement

Actually, been reading a few things and for this style game, apparently Surviving Mars does it better. That's currently on sale on psn for 7.50. so might be a good starting point. I've never properly played a building sim, should really have tried sim city skylines as I have it on plus but I like the space/apocalypse setting.

Anyone play these types with recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Played my first few games of Halo infinite last night and think its fantastic. The progression system is terrible though. Progression doesn't bother me at all but I was a bit disappointed when I didn't see the do bar go up after a game.

I think maybe the reason I was a bit disappointed at first was that I/we've been so conditioned to expect progression in games now that I was shocked when it wasn't there. But after that initial game I forgot about it and just skip that bit after each match now. And it helps that the match to match gameplay is so much fun.

This image reminding me of Red Dead Redemption 2 ! RDR has so much potential. I think they captured the world absolutely beautifully in RDR2. Surely they can use that technology with minimal change to tell new stories, without blowing a huge budget on reinventing the tech ... again and again. It's absolutely fine ... Just add more gameplay and depth please Rockstar. Oh, and intuitive controls.

I loved RDR but only sort of liked RDR2. I think the tech and world they built was incredible, but honestly I found the game repetitive and didn't add much to what the first did.

Not sure if that's what you meant by more gameplay and depth, but I'd agree on those two points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Same, loved RDR, one of my favourite games ever, and was a beast in multiplayer on that title, which was a amazing for the time.

Just didn't enjoy RDR2 that much, and never got into the multiplayer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I like to play RDR about once or twice a year on the excellent Xbox 360S. A great game on a great console.

I like to dip into Red Dead Online the odd time. You come across some nice folk in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Xbox fans have one less stick (going forward) to beat Sony fans with. Xbox announces there will be no more backwards compatible games due to licensing and general cost. The last drop the other day will be the last in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Specs for Icarus are ehh something.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:

• Processor: Intel i5 8400
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 70 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:

• Processor: Intel i7-9700
    • Memory: 32 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA RTX 3060ti
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 70 GB available space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Watching Pixar's Luca this morning and the theme tune instantly reminded me of Final Fantasy VII. Now i want to play the original or maybe FF VIII remaster which i loved the original but haven't played in 15+ years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

On the other hand the backwards compatibility program supposedly ended about 2 years ago so this slew of games was a lovely bonus.

And it's still a pretty solid line up of bc games which includes ninja gaiden black which is better than any game on PS4 or 5 (I'm not being hyperbolic, that game is seriously that good).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

There was discussion on one of the threads about the Kid A Mnesia virtual exhibition by Radiohead but I can't find it. Just wanted to say I thought it was absolutely brilliant. I'd bought the recent vinyl reissue of the two albums and had seen and listened to several interviews over the last couple of weeks with Thom Yorke and the artist Stanley Donwood, who is a long time collaborator with Radiohead who is responsible for most of the artwork to do with the band. Donwood's art studio was right beside the band's recording studio at the time they were making the two albums and he produced mountains of work with Yorke in response to the music being produced by the band and its evolution from half formed demos and audio sketches to the finished product. You get a glimpse of just how much work was produced as you go through the tour.

Your interaction is almost zilch - picking up a phone in a booth is about the only thing I remember actively doing beyond walking around - but I think there is some stunning set pieces in it. The three song run in How to disappear completely, Pyramid song and You and whose army was amazing. Elsewhere, the songs are stripped apart and put back together in a way that highlights elements you might not normally concentrate on within the compositions.

I'm a fan so obviously my mileage will vary drastically to someone who doesn't like the band or thinks they're pretentious - I'd wager that this definitely won't change your mind if that's your thoughts on the band. There is real thought and work out into this which really helps to elevate it beyond being a mere promotion for the reissue. I think if you've enjoyed the tour, it's worth listening to the albums to see how the reinterpreted the tunes for the game/interactive experience.

Post edited by The Raging Bile Duct on

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

I could tell immediately from the background music that he likes the game before he even spoke :).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I completed The Forgotten City earlier today but got the wrong ending and I am glad I went back as I would have missed a lot. Ending 4 of 4 is the correct one which I got. Wow that is some place where you meet the god. I still have ending 1 of 4 and 3 of 4 to do. I'm still racking my brain as in how would I do 3 of 4 as I cannot see the pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

I have a question folks: I have a UK PSN account, and Sony sent me an email for it saying I'm eligible to order a PS5 from them directly (22nd, 8am-10am, though stock will likely be gone very quickly).

Unfortunately the T&Cs say they'll only deliver to the UK mainland.

I haven't used AddressPal for years, but could I use that to get it shipped to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Is he still deleting comments when anyone dares to challenge his opinion? For a man who loves to hand out criticism, he's extremely delicate when questioned on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, not a fan of him at all.

Advertisement