Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 done123

I am having a problem with eir tv app on my ipad. it will not allow me to watch tv on home network broadband, no problem when on another network any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ThisCharmingIce

Hi

just wondering will EIR TV work on other set top boxes other than the Apple TV? box eg something like Xiaoma Mi set top box.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

Is anyone else still using the Eir vision box? Mine has stopped allowing me to pause/rewind etc. and giving an error about timeshifting being disabled. I'm assuming they're just gradually decommissioning the service and 'encouraging' people to switch to the Apple setup.

Just wondering if everybody is getting the same error now? I've called them but the person I was talking to had no idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭grumpygit

Ya been gone with me for about the last week...when i rang was told that feature no longer available on eir vision and needed to upgrade to apple...couldnt get a clear answer on costs or how i do that though

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I've had Eir broadband only for the last 12 months, on a pretty cheap intro offer of €30pm (which jumped to €36pm in Sept) - when the contract runs out in December thats going to take a nasty jump to €74pm, just for broadband...

Was thinking about adding TV, as the missus has been looking for it as we have no aerial or sat dish, nor do we want them, so seems like something iptv based like Eir is the only option. I see they are advertising €50pm for broadband and TV bundle now - is there any chance I will be able to avail of this do ye reckon from when my initial 12 month contract is up, or am I going to be paying full whack? That would be €80-85pm I reckon which seems crazy high for such basic channels+broadband? Do people find Eir TV worth it?

2 other questions which could be deal breakers - are there really no ITV channels on Eir? It appears so from the list of the site. Herself is looking for ITV 1,2 and 3 and if they are not available it would be a very hard sell for the price.

Also a question on chromecasting - from reading the thread it seems like Eir TV can be watched on 2 devices at the same time only? So watching on the Apple TV and casting to another tv should work ok? The app can be installed on as many devices as we want, but can only play on 2 at a time, is that correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Correct, there are no ITV channels on EirTV.

They will do deals on re-signing up when your contract is up to incl TV. (Discounts)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Just got this email re Eir tv box.

eir Vision is becoming eir TV with Apple TV

As a result of the success and many customer benefits of the eir TV with Apple TV service, eir Vision will be retired in the near future.

eir TV with Apple TV launched in October 2019 where more people are now enjoying the many benefits and unlocking a world of infinite entertainment.

eir TV with Apple TV gives you up to 100 channels of live TV including RTÉ One, Virgin Media One and BBC One. Plus all the benefits of streaming, so when you switch you’ll get Amazon Prime Video on us, Apple TV+ free for 3 months in brilliant 4k, with easy access to your favourite on-demand apps in the App Store such as Netflix, Disney+, YouTube, discovery+ and more so you can enjoy series, movies, news, soaps and live sport, all in brilliant high quality.

If you choose to remain on eir Vision, there will be some limitations to your service from November:

You will not be able to add new channel packs to your account

There will be no eir Vision set top box replacements/repairs

No new channels will be added to eir Vision

Unable to pause and rewind live TV

These limitations do not apply to eir TV with Apple TV, that is why we’re asking you to switch to eir TV today!

The switching process is simple. Give us a call on 1800 242 629 to chat through a few details or alternatively go in-store or chat to a webchat agent and we’ll take care of the rest. Once that’s done, we’ll send you your new eir TV box and remote, along with a handy set-up guide to get you started. We can also help you with the simple self-install should you require it for a cost of €69.99.

And that’s it! We’re looking forward to speaking with you and switching your eir Vision TV service very soon.Many thanks,

eir TV team

I haven't contacted them yet but I am presuming this is going to cost more

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭butwhynot

Before the the eir Vision service is shut down, could someone check if the following channels in the Essential or Experience pack?

113 RTÉ2 +1             422 Ginx Esports TV
    146 CBS Reality         423 GameToon HD
    148 CBS Justice         424 Fast&Fun Box HD
    240 FashionBox HD       432 Racing TV
    261 Fashion TV          512 RT
    262 Food Network        513 France24
    319 FilmBox Arthouse    519 TRT World
    359 The Box             541 RT Documentary
    361 Kiss                547 DocuBox HD
    362 Box Hits            623 BabyTV
    363 Magic               905 RTÉ Radio 1 Extra
    368 Kerrang!

Also are these sports channels correct?

407     BT Sport 1 SD
    408     BT Sport 2 SD
    409     BT Sport 3 SD
    410     BT Sport ESPN SD
    411	Premier Sports 1 SD
    412     Premier Sports 2 SD
    418/421 Sky Sports F1
    419/420 Freesports
    422     BT Sport 1 HD
    423     BT Sport 2 HD
    424     BT Sport 3 HD
    425     BT Sport ESPN HD
    ???     Premier Sports 1 HD
    ???     Premier Sports 2 HD
    432     Freesports HD

Post edited by butwhynot on

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Exactly the same here. I've heard nothing from them at all. I'm out of contract so I'm looking at Vodaphone instead.

• Advertisement

https://www.eir.ie/tv/channels/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BB-S-Brand-Broadband_TV&utm_content=560623194955&utm_term=channels%20on%20eir%20tv&utm_id=12491615219&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkNiMBhCxARIsAIDDKNW4QTc9C496J8Kzw4t9CDhrAu_yMzaePuPQDVXaZwyhj8y7gvKfG3IaAnSzEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭butwhynot

Aren't those the Apple TV packages? I thought eir Vision had Essential and Experience, not Extra.

There the Channels I currently have on the e vision box

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

>Snip<

Post edited by Full_Circle_81 on

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They're removing live tv recording from the app on the Apple TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

My apologies, I just deleted my comment. I don't think my facts were right there at all! Recording is available on "select" channels only. I'll need to investigate it some more. Sorry for the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

EIr has stopped timeshifting - you can't pause or rewind. Message is : "Timeshifting has been disabled because you are not connected to our network". I rang Tech support and they tell me it's a way of forcing people to go to Eir with Apple Box. I'm told you can't record on rte or Virgin Media and many programmes on BBC etc are not recordable. Really bad practice by Eir as am under contract with timeshifting as part of deal.

Is Eir with Apple Box as bad as I've been told?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No worries, I'm not sure which channels you cant record from but you can definitely record from BBC currently.

In relation to the remote, you can request a more standard type remote to work with the Apple box. Much easier for navigating than the touch one that comes with the apple 4k box.

Adding netflix/prime\NovTV & Channel 4 player apps to the apple 4k box gives a decent choice with excellent picture quality.

Granted standard channel variety is limited on the normal Eir package.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Torcaill

I have the Sky Sports package with Eir. If I switch over to Apple TV they will be unable to provide Sky Sports!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭obi604

I have Eir TV for the last few months, previously was a Sky customer.

Happy enough with it, I got the 'standard' remote as the original one was doing my head in.

One thing that is annoying when trying to watch stuff you have missed live:

you go to the guide,

find a programme like the RTE news Choose 'watch from beginning'

All good here, main issue is you cant fast forward which is annoying

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged

I agree not been able to record RTE & Virgin media Channels, can only replay without been able to fast forwarding through the Ads are really annoying. I have started to use RTE player because of less Ads, but no option on apple TV for Virgin media channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

Movie studios and TV stations have hated home recording since the days of the VCR. They tried to kill it with the transition to digital TV transmission methods but largely failed, they seem to be using the transition to IP based services to try again (with more success this time).

Anybody know how Vodafone's tv service compares to Eir tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NewClareman

That's impossible to answer, its very subjective. I think the AppleTV platform used by eirTV is pretty good, apart from the $hitty remote. A big bonus is being able to add a range of additional apps. I use NowTV for sports, RTE Player, Netflix, Amazon Prime (free with eir TV), Apple TV, YouTube and Spotify. The ability to restart many programmes from the TV Guide, even when finished, is also a bonus.

My biggest bugbear is the digital rights management. Most shows can be recorded, apart from many on the Irish channels, but the recordings are removed automatically after six months. Being forced to watch ads is another pain. (I have no other option at the moment as I have neither aerial or satellite dish.) Another pain is that the eirTV App regularly hangs, when the TV is turned back on. I restart the AppleTV from the menu, but wifey uses a hard reset (pulls out plug) and is NOT HAPPY.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I have mixed feelings about Eir TV. Like previous poster the array of Apps to download is impressive. Lots of podcasts ect and access to thousands of Radio stations is a plus.

Having to sign up to Now TV for Sports and set up new payments is a pain. Make sure you get the standard remotes, as the small Apple touch versions are a nightmare to get used to.

Do I need to request a standard remote?Or Will the remote I have now for evison box work

I think Eir send with new installations the Eir Remote for apple TV which is easier used than original apple remote.

The old Eir vision remote will not work with apple 4K TV box.

• Advertisement

The more traditional 'standard' remote now ships from all orders after 31st May 2021. They can be bought in a eir store also or ordered online.

More detail here on the remote - https://www.eir.ie/support/eirtv/eir-tv-remote-controls/

Buy other remote online here -https://eir-store.ie/collections/brand-eir/products/eir-tv-alternative-remote-black

BTB

Advertisement