Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are mods just giving up or is the reporting function broken?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Because the answer is they don't want to, basically. It's a bit rich to complain that a certain policy like explaining mod actions on thread would overburden them, or saying abuse is slipping through because the old mods are not active when the blindingly obvious answer is more hands on deck.

It's not as if anyone is getting paid here, so it isn't like they can't afford it. Though to be fair they don't even know who is modding the site at the moment.

Admitting needing extra hands isn't a failure - another large Irish forum has a call out for extra help at the moment for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I don't think it's that they don't want to TBH. I've had more mod action and interaction innthenlast 5months than in my previous 13yrs on the site. I'm not a fan of Vanilla, the mods are lumbered with a poor system that seems to have been UAT'd by Helen Keller 😉

But, each interaction was warranted. The mods I dealt with were responsive and given that 1 in particular was carrying the can on CA/IMHO for a while. They always responded to my PMs and for the most part, were reasonable.

The lack of effective mod tools, is compounded by a lack of visibility of mod actions for some people. I have been involved in threads where there has been swathes of deleted posts, it is incredibly frustrating when it's a thread you're invested in. I do think that where deletion is the chosen action, that there needs to be better management of just how it's done. Better notation and perhaps a reversion to adding a note to the 1st post and flagging the title.

Because the answer is they don't want to

Herein lies the issue, your interpretation.

Seems like that was the initial issue when you got your knuckles slapped.

Twice.

Now you are just being annoying and have yet to bring any real value to the conversation.

I am the only one that's brought a potential solution to this issue, what have you brought?

The new mod tools are months away, if there even coming at all, so we are meant to take abuse in the mean time? Is that it? The forums where there is no one minding them are just going to sit unmonitored for how long?

I actually do like this site, but I hate what it's become. It's impossible to navigate, it's impossible to find out how anything works and it's impossible to know if abuse is being taken seriously without resorting to PM.

Great to hear you've put yourself forward to be a mod

Let me know how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have answered this a couple of times already on the thread.

Where do you think these new mods are going to come from? It is not as if there is a panel waiting to be contacted. Getting 1 or 2 mods can be a painstaking drawn out process and there is no guarantee that the person targeted will accept in the end. With Vanilla even identifying those 1or 2 is much harder. I wouldn't even know where to start for most forums.

And you want 30? Even if we got 30 they still don't have the mod tools to do anything much.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can edit it out and still leave the mod warning on thread instead of deleting the post fully.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That answers the original question really. Mods have given up.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

If you accept that, what is the medium term strategy then for the forums without cover? The current system is completely inadequate, so something needs to be done. What's the plan?

If all the eggs are in the "we'll get our vbulletin functionality back again and all will be good in the world" basket well then the site is done for. The idea that anyone is going to invest heavily in developing custom code for a site that was shrinking even before this calamity is laughable. You'll get maintenance, that's it. There needs to be an acceptance that the state the site is in currently is going to be the state it will end up in, minor tweaks to the skin aside. The old mod tools won't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well, that's not exactly right. Take myself as an example. A few months ago I was actually going to step down from modding but having given the matter some thought I knew that Boards needed strong experienced mods during these challenging times and here I am.

• Advertisement

Sounds like the issue is the long drawn out process where very specific ppl are being narrowed down in advance tbh

Why not put out a call?

Its not as if consistency isnt already an issue- the different tolerances are extreme across different forums already (which in the days of seeing all threads not separated by forum is an issue, honestly)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Because the tools aren't there to assess them. Let's say I put out a call and got 20 responses. It would be irresponsible to just mod those 20 people without checking them out. I do not have to tools to check them out. I cannot even check their current account to any great degree never mind cross checking on previous accounts. Even if we got over that hurdle you now have mods with no tools to moderate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's quite easy to step back and take pot shots. Much harder to actually stick around and try to make things better.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Ah here c'mon it's a forum not the national gold reserves you're looking after. Put a call out, and look at the responses from those with decent post histories. This isn't that difficult, or rather it's only as difficult as you want it to be.

And then so what if you pick a poor candidate. Demod them, move on. They can't even do that much damage since they don't have the tools to anyway.

So if you're not going to appoint more people, what's the plan? What will you do when the remaining few move on as they will naturally do? Remember, those vbulletin tools aren't coming back.

How would we assess post history?

Have a look at mine and see what conclusions you can draw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Do you know what would help mods at the moment? Not having to waste their time continually responding to people who are just badgering them even though they have been given answers over and over again

With such uninformed comments like that is it any wonder why you're not a mod and never will be despite your best efforts.

They are free to ignore me just like a lot of reported posts if they like.

The thread has been illuminating though. Not only do we know that we have insufficient mods at the moment, for those that retire there is no way to replace them either - since the way they are appointed is so inflexible. I can't be the only one that sees this a a huge problem for the site going forward.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is a good example of the sort of thing mods have to put up with, and indeed why many people don't want to be mods or when they are mods are happy to stay away with the current limitations we face

I've seen other Feedback threads were we have been criticised for being too visible and indeed complaints of overmodding. Whatever we do, we will have complaints. We should not be bowing down to those who shout loudest though, and I am seeing very little in this thread that indicates I should adopt a different approach to modding or indeed my Admin responsibilities

I'm going to try and bow out of this thread now as I feel it's a distraction at a time when we do have such limited resources and indeed I feel as if I am probably doing more on this in my Mod and Admin roles than anyone else, If people don't like it they can approach the office and seek my dismissal from an unpaid role that I devote many hours a day to

• Advertisement

Its safe to say that Boards is being propped up by Beasty and has been for a number of months. The man deserves to get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

I think the site is being propped up by a small number of people who are trying to keep the show on the road despite the shitshow going on around them. You've all been let down by the power(s) that be and I hope that you get the improvements you want. I think some people forget that this is all being done voluntarily by people who care about boards and want to keep the site going. Maybe you're being taken for granted higher up the food chain but I think many ordinary boardsies appreciate the good work.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There's no way this site could ever afford my rates......

I apologise to @Pawwed Rig for personalising the debate. I was picking up on the point he was making that he is currently modding a lot less but it was an unnecessary snide comment that I shouldnt have made.

My comments/suggestions about not deleting posts were constructive and aimed at improving the site.

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

With respect this is bullshit and I suspect you know it

There is a thread on this site abusing and insulting an Irish person who died in tragic circumstances a few years ago. I sometimes wonder what his baby daughters will think when they grow up and start Googling their dad. That thread is an utter shameful disgrace and it has been viciously defended by mods.

So yeah, what you are saying is utter garbage (putting it mildly).

When you arrive late to the conversation......... 🙄

I have no idea what thread you are talking about. Is it in Current Affairs (I have modding responsibility there, and Coronavirus, MMA and Canoeing & Kayaking forums - can't imagine it's in any of those other 3 though)?

Perhaps you can drop me a PM with a link

I do find it strange that people seem to think they can drop into a thread like this making allegations of this nature about a site Admin/Moderator when I don't ever recall receiving a PM about your grievances

Guess some people just like it to be Open Season on attacking those who volunteer their time on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

The thread is about the Irish Professor lost on Everest - you can find it easily enough yourself.

Take a look and I’d appreciate a comment from you here. Do you still think what you said a few posts up still holds?

I did pm a variety of the mods but they defended the thread and did nothing to stop the disgusting comments. My interest is that I know some of the people involved.

Anyway, I suspect this is a waste of time but it is disgusting that this was allowed and is still on boards. How do you think his young family felt reading that sh1t?

• Advertisement

please provide me with a link as the search function is not much use and i don't even know what forum this relates to

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement