Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant letter - Late payment.

Options
  • 20-11-2021 1:32am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone recently, but not essential, paid for a grant letter after the 30 days. I've never had this myself so when asked by someone (not on Boards) what to do I could only suggest one of two things:

• Pay it and hope it goes through
    • Request another grant letter and pay for it straight away.

Apparently its out as of today so he is going to the post office in the morning. So technically one day late. Should it go through? Would it be "refused" when scanned because the 30 day time frame is over? Or would it allow it to scan, make the payment, then not receive the license because the 30 day limit has expired?

Thanks.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Never had that situation but as far as I am aware from my FO, if I get an app granted and I don't get the fee paperwork or the license card itself they tell me to just give them a buzz and they can sort it.

Now whether that means regranting it on pulse and triggering the automatic fee paperwork or what I don't know, but might be worth a try to just call the FO?

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Its quicker to go to the PO tomorrow and I suppose when he tries I'll find out, but was curious to see if I could get an answer before he tries.

FO will not be quick contact and never on the weekend so if the PO fails it'll monday at the earliest before he gets to do anything about it. Feel sorry for him. He had a few renewals all come in within weeks of each other. Sent them all off together and he put this grant with the other one thinking they still ahd two weeks to go (which the other does). Simple mistake.

I've had to get a grant re-issued myself but that was because the one they sent me never made it to me and the FO rang after the 30 days to ask why I'm not paying it. Told him I never got a grant and he sent another. This was years ago before GDPR miraculously cured the majority of "lost issues".

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I would say it is unlikely for payment to be refused. I find it hard to imagine the Gardai putting any restrictions on receiving money.

This happened to me as well, except I realized after nearly a year that I never got the grant letter. I rang th FO and he gave me a new cert number over the phone that was already on the system and sent a new letter in the post for payment.

If your friend is worried about a lapsed license on the system, I learned from the above experience that as soon as the first form is received by the FO and approved, the system is then updated with your new license information before you have paid using the grant letter. Payment only sends the license in physical form in the post.

This happened to me in 2019 and I am making an assumption that the process is the same for all stations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

My only concern was (and I could be remembering incorrectly or its something that doesn't exist at all) that legally if the grant is not paid within 30 days its considered the applicant has changed their mind and no longer wants the license. Now with all things Irish it never moves that swiftly and it wouldn't happen within hours of the "deadline".

He went to the PO this morning anyway and paid the fee and it scanned as it should so I'll update if/when the license arrives.

Thanks for the replies lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I had it the same thing there in September, I processed the paper work in the week after getting the notification, handed everything in at the station and true to form they lost the passport photo, so a week later I got a call that they needed another photo. So I brought in the photo and I got the grant letter the second week of august; the morning I was going on holiday. Came back from holiday and forgot all about it, remembered it after the 30 days was up. Was thinking that I should ring the superintendents office but I didn't want to draw attention to myself, so I said it to your man in the post office and he said it would be grand. I got the licence in the post the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Had one go over a week, due to the fact 3 of them arrive all in Oct and are out by Oct 31st,so one had to go on a long finger by a week . No biggie, it was accepted, just that they for some reason issued a restricted license as a limited license. Sorted within a week with a call to the FO.I would say unless you are really taking the mick out of things 7to 10 days are OK.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Eurocodus

I got a letter from the guards two weeks ago: that my firearm licences had lapsed and should hand in the application forms. I handed in my forms two months previous to this. I tried to ring the garda station, no reply. I rang the district garda station, the guard took my number and said the duty sergeant would look into it. I rang in the morning no reply by five in the evening. Put together new application on unpopulated forms. Took a copy of the letter from the guards and placed a covering letter. On the covering letter in summary: I had already handed in the forms, I was somewhat nonplussed from the letter from the guards, I attach a new application. There were four gardaí who had finished their shift suggested I post my forms through the letterbox. All I wanted was a phone call and an apology and the applications would be expressed. All I got was silence and a possible three month wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I once paid my grant letter about a week after the 30 days had expired and I was granted my licence. It came in the post about 4 working days after I paid the money.

Advertisement