Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭I see sheep

People have died from the vaccine one example here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-58330796

It's highly unlikely but a healthy person dying from Covid is also highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The Taliban outlawed the vaccine, it won't go higher there (though maybe a place for some of those looking to escape the oppressive Irish government to visit).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Anecdotally, boosters have come up in conversation a little bit over the last week or so. Some would be straight in the queue once they are called but my impression is that there's not an awful lot of enthusiasm for them, especially in people who believe that they are not at risk.

It's just an example. Algeria are at 10%, Angola is not much better, even South Africa is about 20% and the overall global fully vaccinated is at about 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's becoming pretty clear that neither side have the slightest clue what they're on about, it's farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Define highly, doctor. What a joke. You are EXTREMELY unlikely to die from a Covid vaccine (or any vaccine - perhaps the people dying from it would've died from a flu shot, the blood clot disorder appears to have a genetic component.) Versus MUCH more likely to become gravely ill from Covid, and dying from it. Words matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,713 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But even people who are doubly vaccinated are ending up in hospital and some even in ICU. If boosters reduce the chances of this, they would be well advised to get one.

No problem - 'very, to a large degree, or at a high level'

For reference the definition of extremely is 'very'.

Not much a difference there really by look of it.

So anyway, people have died because of taking the vaccine, some tragically young like 44 year old Lisa.

The average age of a Covid death for women in England is 85 by the way.

I'm pretty sure Lisa would be well and happy now if she had not got the vaccine, whether she had got Covid or not, very sad.

More proof by blatant assertion from you. The vaccine in fact prevents illness. More vaccinated people means less chance to become ill and spread the disease. That the vaccine doesn't 100% prevent spread is an example of the "Nirvana fallacy': https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/dont-fall-for-the-nirvana-fallacy-covid-vaccines-are-safe-and-effective/

And, if you're the lot that say, "Well, I got Covid so I'm good." Imagine being this guy - a high level professional strength and conditioning coach, who got covid, recovered, then got it again (not vaccinated.) He's gone from 40-something bodybuilder physique to old man in a year, and he won't be the same: https://www.denverpost.com/2021/08/24/broncos-fitness-nutrition-coach-bill-phillips-covid-vaccination/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I won't be taking a booster until we get more concrete data on how often we will need it. I think a lot of people will be the same.

• Advertisement

Again, define: like, numbers and probability, not semantics. People have died - isn't it something like 24 in England, out of millions of people dosed? So, a minute percentage.

And you're arguing from the Nirvana fallacy anyway, so there's not a lot of point of discussing with you. I hope for the sake of the people you travel with you've been vaccinated, because you're not coming across as sane.

That may be your perception but many don't perceive themselves at risk and if you are under 60 and healthy that risk is way lower. As an argument it really won't fly with those who've decided they are done with the vaccine.

😂

"people I travel with"

What are you on about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Under the age of 40 you have a mortality risk of effectively 0.00% from covid; you'd have to add more decimal places to actually get a risk of dying from covid under the age of 40, at least based on UK and Ireland data. Taking the vaccine might reduce the relative risk but we're still talking about 0.00%. I'ts a moot point really as we have so many vaccinated, but it quashes any justification for boosters in the under 40s (i.e. half the population), there is literally no argument for it.

One swallow does not make a summer and the article linked above is most certainly a single swallow. Especially when the guy, Bill Philips, is a steroid junkie, hardly a beacon of health - one of the key side effects of steroid use is high blood pressure which of course is a key underlying illness when it comes to covid complications!

Really, they're changing the advice constantly, as much as the anti vax lobby have tin hats boyos, the pro vax are just as bad:

This is the solution!

It'll stop the spread!

Ok, it'll help slow the spread!

Boosters!!!!

Wait, it's the unvaccinated that are causing all of this (just ignore the fact that most positives are now vaccinated).

I believe in vaccines, I've had many in my lifetime but the push behind this and absolute denial of any concerns about it just make it look incredibly suspect and it's definitely off-putting.

Quit the bullying and just be honest and admit that both sides are talking out their rear ends, nobody knows, internet trolls included, there is a cure for that though, the ignore button - bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

What's the Nirvana fallacy? Smells Like Teen Spirit was a good song

Do people not just do this when they see something they don't know about? At least then you can ask questions on how it's relevant etc.

Nirvana fallacy - Wikipedia

edit:

and 1 example that will trigger a few:

Posit (fallacious)

Wearing a non medical grade mask will not protect me or others from SARS-CoV-2.

Rebuttal

While wearing a mask does not provide 100% protection, it does provide some protection.[5][6] Some protection is better than none, especially when the virus is not under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

It was a joke mate chillax. I know how to use a search engine.

Sorry, it's become kind of the tone of the place to post things that are easily explained and proved/disproved via search within seconds yet they continue unabated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Do you recall the government saying that they’d disband NPHET and open everything up in October with few guidelines?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not a shock really B. The number of howlers that have come from our experts and the powers that be is a high one, from Professor OCDWashyourhands, through "it's ok to visit your elderly rellies in homes" to daft stuff like you've mentioned.

Now before the whole "novel virus" thing rears its head, again: People in Europe and the East have been dealing with pandemics since the beginnings of recorded history. Most of our responses to this like quarantine, isolating the sick and lockdowns, even health passports have been around for centuries. Venice had all of that lot in play in the 1400's. This is not our first rodeo. Innoculation and later vaccination have been around almost as long.

The difference this time is we've become a) complacent in the face of modern medicine and the pill for every ill and b) complacent about our lack of reserves in healthcare. Add in worldwide comms and information overload and even serious cash to be made re treatments and of course too many suffering from overreactions to the point of mania in some and here we are, witn often contradictory "advice" and measures and confusion. Look at schools. In damned near every single pandemic in modern history schools were one of the top routes of transmission. Every parent knows that kids are little pox bottles 😁 that bring home all sorts of bugs every year. In the 1918 flu pandemic the US states that closed schools saw a noticeable decrease in transmission rates, yet our own goverment on the back of "expert advice" is saying nope it's nearly all community transmission in kids outside of schools. Then we have the ballsology of closing pubs, clubs and hotels down at midnight, because clearly the virus is on a time table and have wee Seikos strapped to one of their spike proteins. It's like the earlier "advice" that ten minutes around an infected person was the danger point. At eight minutes you were golden, at eleven you were infected. You couldn't make this level of retard up.

Now we have the booster stuff. When barely countable numbers of studies of both the recovered and the vaccinated from inside and outside the pharmacological industry showed efficacy up to eight months with antibodies and immune system memory that was longer again(Pfizer was the weak one here it seems), yet today we're told the "advice" is for someone who has been fully vaccinated and recovered from covid in the last couple of months needs one of these boosters. Again you couldn't make this ballsology up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's called changing evidence and data.

at least the pro-vax lot actually do evidence hence we are in the majority and why we always win the argument.

no bullying, just facts, facts and more facts.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Facts eh... Changing evidence and data?

Me Earlier:

Gandhi included a list of some 20 references on natural immunity to covid in a long Twitter thread supporting the durability of both vaccine and infection induced immunity.12I stopped adding papers to it in December because it was getting so long,” she tells The BMJ.

But the studies kept coming.

There were so many studies and papers she stopped adding them to her own. Studies that showed the same "durable immune responses" up to eight months after infection. J&J's vaccine studies across hundreds of thousands of people with delta included showed the same strong response, a drop off of antibodies, but a robust reaction in memory cells that increased over time and again across eight months. There are countless studies that reported the same thing, the outlier being Pfizer in some. These are being published in some of the most respected medical and scientific journals. This is not some mouthbreather on whatsapp. This is the evidence and data you claim you're behind. So what changed? You either say those studies by top people in the field were dubious and wrong and the current booster drive studies(which are fewer) are correct and supercede them. Which is it it? Did durable immune responses seen six months ago across hundreds of thousands of subjects reported in dozens upon dozens of studies magically vanish? How does that work then?

My personal hypothesis would be that some vaccines aren't living up to the promise for whatever reason. That they're very good at keeping serious illness at bay but don't produce the same robust long term immune repsonse as other vaccines or natural immunity. Hence the boosters. Pfizer would be the head of the gang for me. Note how Israel went all out for majority Pfizer and is now into talk of a fourth booster.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

This Quote function is handy. Keeps these sweeping statements on the record even if the original is deleted.

Excellent stuff.

Who is "we" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

Those facts change daily it seems, facts like one poster actually saying the vaccine is ‘no risk’ despite the HSE actually emphasis that there’s a good risk of side effects, they’re honest, the pro vax bullies a little less so.

As said already, I believe in vaccines, I just don’t believe in brow beating anyone with a reservation into submission, everyone has the right to make up their own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

Been hearing of a few tragic premature deaths of active individuals from covid in recent weeks. Unvaccinated men. I just don’t know why people wouldn’t take an easy measure to help themselves.

• Advertisement

What exactly does the end of the world predictions have to do with taking experimental injections?

Advertisement