Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

It would depend on the country obviously. If they were smart, they'd pick basically the whole of Western Europe, the majority of which is broadly still mono-cultural.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

the majority of which is broadly still mono-cultural.

Tell that to the people on the multi-culturalism thread freaking out that Ireland is going to become a disaster zone like everywhere else in Europe.

Do you not know what the word 'majority' means?

Also, talking about people not giving a shite, they are the same people who start all these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭funkyzeit100

Yeah, and it's still a big fat lol.

Presenting that a majority of third world countries would jump at a chance to move to the USA isn't the endorsement you think it is.

I don't know what you think you are doing, but you are not saying that my statement was incorrect.

• Advertisement

At the time of George Floyd's death support for BLM stood at 52% of americans. Last week it was 44%.

At the time of Floyd's death opposition to BLM was 28%, 44% now oppose it.

I wonder what BLM did in that time period to put so many people off...

Yes.

What I AM saying is that it isn't the endorsement you think it is.

Lots of black people would like to go to America rather than elsewhere, because there's a lot of black people there. Same for Asian, Latino, whatever.

They aren't going for the "multiculturalism", they are interested in precisely the opposite, more of their own race, in a (crazily biased) wealthy nation.

So again, it's not some great endorsement of multiculturalism. It's an indictment.

Lots of black people would like to go to America rather than elsewhere, because there's a lot of black people there. Same for Asian, Latino, whatever.

They aren't going for the "multiculturalism", they are interested in precisely the opposite, more of their own race, in a (crazily biased) wealthy nation.

Are you actually trying to argue that the dominant populations in the US are African American and Asian? To the extent that it cannot be considered a multicultural society? Because that is what your post is saying.

Where are the 300M white people hanging out?

No I'm not acccshually arguing that.

I didn't say that.

I said, there are more black people in the United states, hence the attraction for black people to move there. There are more Latino people in the USA, hence the attraction for Latino people to move there.

Nowhere did I say that they were a majority. And that's acccshually a fact.

And that right there, is an indictment of multiculturalism. That people want to be around their own people, instead of complaining to the end of their lives about other people.

That's why you'll have less and less Europeans keen on going to America. The state of it.

Anyway, the United States should split up, and let people go where they want to go, set up shop, and then shut the hell up about not liking the people they live with.

I'm sure Vietnamese are up in arms in Vietnam about something, but it's great not having to hear about it. It's none of my business, I don't want it to be my business, and they can do as they please.

Everyone wins.

• Advertisement

You are saying that there are so many Asians and African Americans (and White people obviously) there that Asians and Africans would feel at home in America and therefore would choose to live there.

You are literally doubling down on America being successful at multiculturalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

Also ignores all those Europeans who travel to the US for a holiday. Such an awful place. Of course the most dangerous parts of the country are actually the rough parts of the cities which are run by the left. The safest states like Vermont and the Dakotas have high gun ownership rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

Let's assume this unlikely situation does happen. Bill Maher made this point on his show. The right has a lot more guns and most of the military would be on their side. What do Dems think is actually going to happen? There would be no peaceful split.

The safest states like Vermont and the Dakotas have high gun ownership rates very low population density.

Edited your post there. If you had a choice, if had to be one thing or the other, would you want a prosperous city with high levels of employment, wealth and education, but with more cases of violence or an economically and employment struggling city with less cases of violence.

We typically hear more about violence in Dem cities, because they are of higher populations, they have higher populations because more people are drawn to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

This is a really sh1tty thing to say and I'm reporting your post.

All my posts here were indeed against BLM but in support of the vast majority of honest black people that are being done a huge disservice by this racist and violent movement that transforms scumbag criminals into heroes and martyrs thus reinforcing the racist stereotypes and considers blacks as victims and lesser people unable to stand as equals.

Oh yeah, sure, that's a very particular interpretation of what I'm saying.

Particularly wrong, that is.

Sure everyone knows that Africans and Asians get on like a house on fire, absolutely not known for the notorious racism between them.

Yeah, multiculturalism is great, and Africans can't wait to live among Asians and vice versa, and it certainly isn't about wanting to live among their own. No sir, not at all.

Yes, that's a doubling down on the "success" of multiculturalism.

Congratulations on up-is-down logic. You shouldn't wait another second to head off to the land of successful opposing groups, from a thread on them killing each other, pack those bags today! Don't forget to not write.

Almost the exact same things were said about the civil rights marchers in the 60's as are being said about BLM advocates now.

And yet the people saying them now, are outraged at the suggestion that they would have been on a particular side of the argument, when it was being held previously.

It's a sign of a privilege that people claim doesn't exist to think you can so casually dismiss the lived experience of a community just because things were actually worse for them in the past.

I'm not going to tolerate the mealy mouthed claim that someone would definitely have been against the mistreatment of people in the past, as they argue against their equal and fair treatment in the present.

Oh here it is. The nebulous "privilege" card.

That's the magic bullet that kills any reasonable discussion.

The predetermined assumption that it is easier to be white than black.

Ugh.

Add in "lived experience" and we are almost full card with bullshit bingo. Just waiting on "THEIR truth".

I believe in equality. I don't believe people should be treated according to what perceived privilege you attribute or don't attribute to them

Your arguments for the last few days are all unprovable hypotheticals.

And yet all you can do is dismiss them out of hand without providing any counter to the points raised. I suspect this is because you realise that the context in which they are made is entirely valid.

That in itself is telling. You keep telling us you believe in equality. And yet you run from thread to thread arguing against the idea that people who feel they don't experience equality should be entitled to fight for it, or have others advocate that they received it.

You want your version of equality, that is a continuation of the status-quo that you are comfortable with.

You haven't raised any points outside of "what do you think would happen if this guy was black" "what if this happened during the insurrection" "you would be for racism if you lived in the 60's" etc. None of these hypotheticals are provable or worth discussing.

If disagreeing with BLM being encouraged to riot and loot when they perceive injustice, or to call for the abandonment of the nuclear family then yes I don't think they are entitled to do so without recieving pushback.

I do dismiss the concept of white privilege out of hand. I find it racist to attribute the notion of privilege based on skin colour, and I wholly disagree with positive discrimination.

My version of equality is based that everyone should be held to the same standards based on their actions, not because of their skin colour.

• Advertisement

You haven't raised any points outside of "what do you think would happen if this guy was black" "what if this happened during the insurrection" "you would be for racism if you lived in the 60's" etc. None of these hypotheticals are provable or worth discussing.

When people are using the exact same argument to dismiss BLM advocates, as were used against civil rights advocates previously, it sure as hell is worth pointing out. Just saying it isn't worth discussing is evidence enough of the absence of argument against it.

Your version of equality ignores the disadvantage some people are literally born in to. Or the fact that many people actively try to maintain their disadvantage. That isn't limited to race, but it includes race, and that is central to this discussion.

Right now, in Kenosha County, (same county as the Rittenhouse case) the county is arguing that a young black girl who killed the man who sexually trafficked her and assaulted her should not be able to use a law designed to help the victims of trafficking in her defense. You cannot look at the fervent energy applied to defending Rittenhouses argument that he was defending himself, by many influential media and political figures and ignore how others who argued the same are treated.

You say that you can't ignore the energy applied to Rittenhouse's defence by some influential media figures.

Probably required when you have the President of America associating you with white supremacists, the majority of the country's mainstream media purposely lying about vital aspects of the trial, intimidation of jurors etc.

If that's true what you said about the young girls case, then that's crazy. I'd have to look into it as I'm sure there is a lot you are leaving out.

The media have ignored it because they were presumably too busy trying to get Kyle Rittenhouse jailed.

Probably required when you have the President of America associating you with white supremacists,

If you don't want to be associated with White Supremacists, maybe don't have yourself photographed using White supremacist gestures.

With respect to that young girls case, maybe do check it out, and then come back and edit your post saying you are sure I'm leaving stuff out. I read about it in the media, its more likely its the media you pay attention to have ignored it.

I've skimmed an article and yes, there is plenty to that case which I will need to read about. I won't be editing my post in any way as of course there is more to it than what you mentioned.

The media I read is usually the main ones; BBC, RTE, Fox, CNN etc. And while they may have reported on it, either it wasn't in a very prominent position on their site or I missed it.

And really?

And are you really saying that making the ok symbol is enough to be accused as a white supremacist? By a presidential candidate? Jesus wept.

And are you really saying that making the ok symbol is enough to be accused as a white supremacist? By a presidential candidate? Jesus wept.

If you believe that that is merely the Ok symbol from a guy in the situation he was in, wearing the shirt he was wearing, with members of the Proud Boys group, then yes, Jesus is indeed weeping.

But when the benchmark for considering someone a racist starts with evidence of them using the N word, I'm not surprised there'll be apologists for him.

Oh right.

I don't consider the proud boys to be white supremacists (considering the head of their organisation and a large percentage of their members are not white).

Far right definitely, but not white supremacist. But that's beside the point.

The fact he exclusively shot white people who were attacking him at a BLM protest and had no violent altercations with any people who weren't white, would hint to me, that there is zero evidence to call him a white supremacist. I know that evidence (especially throughout the case of Rittenhouse) isn't something that helps your arguments, but even by BLM standards, attempting to call Rittenhouse a white supremacist is wholly dishonest.

Not sure what garbled message you are trying to get at with the n word comment.

FBI disagrees with you.

An organization known as the Proud Boys has been at the center of many high-profile and sometimes violent political protests. The FBI has now categorized the Proud Boys as an extremist group with ties to white nationalism.

You know exactly what point I am making with reference to the N word, I've made it before and you've understood it clearly. It makes it very easy to claim to not be an apologist for racists when the bar for the to not be identified as such is so easy to pass.

I haven't seen any proof or any evidence that the proud boys are white supremacists, and have seen evidence that they aren't.

Perhaps if you read this link https://www.opb.org/news/article/portland-fbi-proud-boys-clarifies-statement/ you would see they were talking about individual members and not the proud boys as a whole.

Am I reading it wrong?

Was waiting for that.

So you think the whole group cannot be tarnished because of the words or actions of a few? Guess you'll be retracting your statements about BLM being a hateful movement because of a comments by a handful of people who associate with them over the years.

If you take these handful of people out of both groups, on one side, you are left with an entirely anti-racist movement, on the other a violent self avowed male chauvinist group. You sill have issues with the former, more than the latter?

• Advertisement

Lol.

Moving goalposts are you?

I said the proud boys weren't white extremists. You said the FBI disagreed. I called you out on that lie.

Again you want to talk about hypothetical nonsense. BLM have discussed erasure of the nuclear family, their manifesto is race baiting bullshit and I despise the damage they have done to America and the world in general.

Somehow, you want to pivot this argument into me defending the proud boys when all I did was point out your lie that the FBI consider them to be a white supremacist group, which you did purely to implicate Kyle Rittenhouse into white supremacy.

Pathetic attempt to deflect.

And a predictable attempt to continue to shoehorn racism into a situation where none exists.

Typical BLM tactics.

Advertisement