Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Portland is a pretty major US city.

There were protest marches in Denver and New York but they didn't turn into riots afaik.

There's some chatter on Twitter about the usual ne'er do wells "mobilising" to Kenosha tonight. Hopefully they won't. The poor, largely minority community the middle-class white activists absolutely **** destroyed the last time they went out for "racial justice" could do without them.

I don't know if any militia are intending to go and guard their city.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Portland is well to do, young, nearly all white.

It is a given it will have a significant BLM response to this.

Places like Detroit, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sure is, if his approval ratings keep going south, the whole country will be united in their dissastisfaction by Easter 😂

Holy crap, they still can't stop lying.

I think we're reaching a point where we need to stop using the media.

Portland is the largest and most populous city in the U.S. state of Oregon. Try moving to another place perhaps.

The prosecution really didn't have much to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Cody montana

What goal post?

I was expecting new york, Los Angeles, Chicago and Kenosha to be in flames according to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Not guilty was clearly the correct verdict based on US laws. I've no idea why people think he's a hero though. Everyone involved were crap bags.

I'm not quite sure what your point is Cody. Do you think that there was little or no chance of widescale riots?

If the media had decided to fan flames, I'm sure there may have been. Or perhaps BLM supporters now realise that there can be consequences to violent violating. Perhaps it was too cold.

I genuinely thought there would be more, but I'm delighted that I was wrong. The fact that there were a few violent riots is bad enough though.

The media have been put in their box with this verdict and can't really fan flames like they did for most of 2020 without exposing themselves to legal recourse and exposing the lies they peddled throughout.

Joe Biden chiming in saying he was angry about the verdict was one of the most bizarre moves I have seen from him in a while. After using Kyle Rittenhouse in his propaganda and framing him as a white supremacist, I suppose I'd be angry too if I was shown up like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As major US cities go Portland Oregon is on the small side.

It's the 25th ranked city and 25th ranked metro area by population.

Also it's very liberal leaning, So no one should be surprised that that was the place a "riot" would occur.

Liberal:

Favoring reform, open to new ideas, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; not bound by traditional thinking; broad-minded. synonym: broad-minded.

Today's Liberal:

Don't be surprised if they choose to riot if they disagree with anything or anyone and don't get their own way.

As major US cities go Portland Oregon is on the small side.

The person you were responding to said that Portland was the largest and most populous city in the state of Oregon, which is true. The size of it by US standards more broadly probably matters as much to the residents of Portland as it would matter to me if a marauding mob of shitheads were running through my town destroying businesses, setting fires and attacking people. Which is to say not at all.

What are those quotes around riot for? Are you asserting that the riot wasn't a riot?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

As we saw on Jan 6th, for some, Biden in the WH, is enough to start an insurrection for Fox and Conservatives isn't it

The only reason it isn't being considered a riot, is because police/soldiers weren't authorized to try to stop the insurrectionists.

What do you think the response would have been if it was BLM protestors who shut down the Senate's business?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Astartes

The ex girlfriend of one of his assailants slipped Kyle her number at the end of the trial.

Love finds a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Absolutely disgraceful verdict this. So he can walk down the street any street anytime he wants now with his rifle shoot someone when there is riots on and get away with it all because of his name. A disgrace. America and there courts should be ashamed. I do not know how him or any of them involved in this verdict can live with themselves. Also who gives a 17 year old a gun? Only in America in the civilised world. America your a disgrace. They have a lot to answer for.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I'm not sure why anyone would wish a guilty verdict on the kid, take the politics aside for a moment, a star witness the only dude that was actually there and got shot was caught in lies, and effectively explained how Kyle acted in self defense. There is no recovering from that.

What did you expect? That everyone will ignore witness testimony and evidence, convict the kid because he's a white male, or plays video games? If anyone is looking for someone to blame, blame the prosecutors. They made a right mockery of the whole trial.

• Advertisement

The "insurrection" is a completely different scenario to the Kyle Rittenhouse scenario. I don't even think I saw anyone ever defending the people involved.

The "insurrection" was widely condemned by almost every news network, some calling it the biggest attack on America since sept 11. The very same news networks that were labelling Rittenhouse a white supremacist and defending BLM and their rioters all throughout the summer of love.

The fact is, the evidence in the Rittenhouse case was overwhelming and you still have idiots here claiming the white supremacist angle, the crossing county lines armed angle, the chasing after rosenbaum angle, the no right to be there angle, the "he shot black men" angle despite it being demonstrably false.

Perhaps if I frame it a different way, it might hit home. Kyle Rittenhouse's actions that day were "mostly peaceful" (helping people medically, removing graffiti, putting out fire etc)

His actions that weren't peaceful, have been proven in court, were not his fault and was self defence against some terrible, terrible people.

At this point, you just have to applaud the dedication to the bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ah yes, a retreat back into the safety of the theoretical 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's scandalous because the prosecution called him as their witness despite clear video evidence showing what actually happened.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I’ve just watched the video … he acted with great restraint … choosing to run from a mob who were trying to hit him and take the gun off him … he then only shot people who were actively assaulting him …knocked to ground by a pack of bully cowards in a group … if he hadn’t done so, he would most certainly been killed … delighted to see some justice … IMO he should’ve been offered a medal for the work he did that nite … I can only imagine what it must feel like for taxpayers and family watching all these thugs and looters going around destroying and attacking people amd property at random under the false pretense of a “cause “ . See numerous videos of these same thugs running into shops and clearing them of TVs and high end items … society over there is crumbling and social media is enabling it with their fake reporting … America needs more kyles to take a stand to these robbing murdering scum

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And countered once again with nothing but the continued ignorance of the facts....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No he is not his demented tweet last night about the verdict looked like he was trying to cause unrest and question the validity of the outcome of the court case that man is a dangerous fool, the sooner he is replaced the better!

Btw the main reason there were no riots last night was the soy boy Antifa/BLM boys don't like to riot in the cold weather they probably preferred to stay home and smoke weed.

You need to try harder, no one is going to fall for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I was fairly impressed that Rittenhouse took the stand, he is still a very young man, not particularly educated and I doubt is used to intense critical argument. The prosecutor badgered him in cross examination, pedantically repeating questions when he didn't like the answers, his line of questioning was often tangential to the substance of the case, desperately trying to get him to say he intended to kill the assailants who attacked him. Suggesting ad naseum, that the first assailant for example had put his hands up and slowed down his approach and that Rittenhouse basically didn't run away fast enough and intended to kill him. It would have been funny if rittenhouse's life wasn't on the line. But his life was on the line and he held his composure. I found it uncomfortable because it made me wonder, imagine this kid was a little bit less intelligent or had a little less emotional control and he did slip up and said "of course I wanted to kill him, I was panicking and he was chasing me", is that it then, does that make one guilty based on ones ability or intelligence or composure? And how is that relevant compared to the evidence of the actions that took place? How is it relevant what he thought or felt? It was very frustrating, fair play to him for putting himself through that, the pressure must have been insane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement