Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

He claims to work for the HSE, so I'd be afraid he'd hit an artery.

Les Incompétents 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He needs removing from his position. He's actively undermining the government at this stage.

MM will be too much of a coward to do anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes it's not like we famously got rid of water charges through the power of protest... They will happen, mark my words

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

And if you just don't smoke or drink you won't take up waiting lists either. Or drive...no car no crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have family over in CT and they are saying the same thing. No obsessing over daily case numbers and people carrying on with their normal lives. I’m actually heading over their next week for a week and I suspect it will be like living in a different world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I did pose this question earlier in-thread,Are you prepared to vaccinate a person against their will ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

RTE news : Public opinion swings in favour of Covid rules - ESRI

48% in favour.

Another headline could read "Less than half the country want more covid restrictions"

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

It depends on their health. If that person pays taxes and lives a healthy lifestyle, why would they decline a bed if needed. Obesity is a major factor in persons needing icu care. If an obese vaccinated individual has done nothing else besides the vaccine to decrease their chances of needing an icu bed due to weight complications, should they have the conviction to decline a bed?

The somewhat frightening aspect is that point of view appears to be gaining traction amongst otherwise "normal" people.

The Dazzler is apparently a Pharmacist,whose training would (I presume) have entailed some aspect of Law and/or Morality sections.

If,as appears to be the case,numbers of this,and other,professions are prepared to sign up to become an integral part of a State Mandated Forced Vaccination policy,then Society has already begun to topple over the edge into a VERY dark abyss.

This policy,which 24 months ago,would have resulted in Worldwide condemnation,is now verging on consideration if not actual implementation in Europe,yet the agencies who have majored on Human Rights & Social Freedom appear struck dumb.

If some semblance of commonsense and rationality does not take root soon,then the chances of this "Pandemic" turning into violent confrontation will increase significantly.

At that point,the concept of "Protecting the Vulnerable" will be turned on it's head.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

If you don't wear a seat belt the crash will be worse. Smoking or drinking are not contagious diseases that cause the caregivers to get infected, pass on to vulnerable patients and result in 2 weeks quarantine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If they have been preaching that medical science will do nothing to counteract this pandemic and that people should just ignore it and rely on Mother Nature or, according to the poster I was originally addressing (plus at least one more on this thread preaching the same and who like him believes that it is the will of some unspecified deity), then why would they compromise their "body integrity" by taking up a hospital or ICU bed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I agree, it's awful to think that anyone would be forced to take a medical treatment that could save their lives and the lives of others. Anyone going in unconscious to A&E should of course be let die because without consent, blood transfusions etc. should not be given / s

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Solving someone's obesity is orders of magnitude more work than getting double jabbed (triple jabbed for the obese person, with the 3rd after 6 months, if it's severe enough to count as an underlying issue). Vaccination is literally the cheapest, easiest, quickest thing to do to drastically reduce risk and strain on the health system.

But, as I said, every willfully unvaccinated person taking up a hospital bed is a complete and total hypocrite, but hypocrites are treated the exact same way as everybody else who lives in this country which is why those talking about "excess deaths" (usually be dropping all restrictions) are awful as what they really mean is "excess deaths that aren't me".

Gortanna will of course take up a hospital bed if they get sick and no doubt be back on afterwards raving about how great their natural immunity was with absolutely no learning done (see trump as a prime example of this).

It's also doubtful we'll move to mandatory vaccination here, our vax rate is high enough that we're avoiding a lot of what's happening in Europe right now, the next 8 weeks will be tough on the health system, if you're unvaccinated, go get vaccinated, within a few short weeks you'll reduce your risk of putting strain on the system right when it could be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

They’ve quite literally done everything in their power to “force” people to take the vaccine apart from dragging people out of their homes and holding them down. Most of the people who are unvaccinated are foreigners or members of ethnic minorities. The same people who say nasty, downright vile things about unvaccinated people would be the first to cry “racist!” if the government tried to force a person of colour to get one against their will.

So what you're saying is because I work hard not to become unhealthy and look after myself and eat right I should be punished where as the lazy fat **** who takes a jab which probably won't help much for any other reason they end up in icu they are somehow more worthy.

Weird framing

The fact you are arguing this and not that we should have a better health service goes to show how the government has played you like the fool you are.

Not only that. A man my age in my good health and physically fit just isn't going to end up in icu.

So why again am I not allowed in after my recovery pass "runs" out while my unhealthy jabbed counter part who is at much higher risk is allowed swan about more than a year after their 2nd jab.

Or are you going to argue that 2 jabs isn't enough and they will then be unvaccinated shortly without a 3rd booster??

I completely agree with that vaccination is the best option for those who have lived an unhealthy lifestyle, so much so that it has caused them to be in one of the main groups of individuals that are ending up in icu. But I also truly believe that vaccinating young, healthy individuals should not be the focus of any government.

It is becoming more and more evident that people are being lulled into a false sense of security after receiving the vaccine. They feel that there is no need to change their sugar intakes, fatty diet or start running to lose weight because they are protected by the vaccine.

If you take 20 vaccinated individuals with a BMI of 40, and 20 unvaccinated Olympic swimmers and all become infected with covid there is a 99% chance none of the swimmers will need medical care. The same can’t be said for the vaccinated group unfortunately

This virus has been with us for almost two years now. Where have we seen a push from government, really pushing for people to get healthy and lose weight. At the beginning of this year people were once again locked in their homes, eating take away food and watching tv. Madness.

We really need to stop painting everyone with the same brush. The vaccines are doing a terrible job at stopping the spread and the benefits of taking the vaccine when you are young and healthy are minuscule. It’s like telling a teenager to stay inside in the off chance they get hit by lightning. If the vaccines were actually effective at stopping the spread, then there would be cause for everyone to be vaccinated.

People who are overweight because of a terrible diet and lifestyle should take the vaccine. That’s a start. But they really really need to get their diet and training in order. That’s what will make the difference in the long run.

So, you're so fit and healthy that you'd refuse a hospital bed if you're sick with COVID? Of course you won't. But there is lots of people in hospital and a good proportion in ICU right now who thought the exact same thing you did.

You're strawmanning on the 3rd jab :)

edit: from the timing it sounds like you got COVID after refusing the vaccine?

We'd be lucky to have any meaningful effect on obesity over 5 years whereas a 2 dose, 6 week vaccine course reduces your risk by ~90%.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If that was what I wanted to say I would say it.

Exactly. If your unhealthy and overweight, take the vaccine and start on a healthy diet onwards. If you are young, fit and healthy then the vaccine is of little benefit, for yourself or society.

NPHET pushed it on them and the alternative was to go against their advice. Plenty would be said about that path as well.

• Advertisement

The vaccine reduces your starting risk by about 90% regardless of your current status. Given that everyone will likely be exposed to SARS-COV2 at some point, you'd have to be dumb not to take it (unless you can't take it).

Are we now blaming the "fatties" for all of this?!

That's stretching it a bit,but if it reflects your thinking on how stuff works,then it's ok with me. 🙂

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

May as well - everyone else has been blamed for it so far - kids, teenagers, adults of drinking age, old people , abbatoir workers, construction workers etc etc.

The only ones who dont seem to be responsible is the 160 muppets running the place plus their "advisors" who are working in close contact to each other - Its very rare to see any of them wearing masks and social distancing when in teh Dail, tv interviews etc.

I say we start blaming them just for the sake of it!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Or it could say 48% of the population are idiots and want more restrictions!!

-Are you calling people who have already had covid, and therefore do not want the vaccine “dumb “?

-Are you calling double vaccinated people who refuse the booster “dumb”?

It's not a straw man if I put a question mark after it. I am asking you if you will do something in a given scenario.

I didn't say "you believe xyz"

Straw man is me accusing you of making an argument you didn't make. I am asking you what your position will be when (like in israel) you are only considered vaccinated after the 3rd jab.

You should learn the fallacy before you try to claim I used it. :)

I said what I said, you can keep on the strawman attacks if you wish.

You're talking about a hypothetical situation that I don't believe will happen for the general population, this is what you said, you framed the question as an attack on something that I hadn't said, that's a strawman. Putting a "??" on the end doesn't change it as an attack.

Or are you going to argue that 2 jabs isn't enough and they will then be unvaccinated shortly without a 3rd booster??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I am against lockdown and really any more restrictions on freedom unless absolutely necessary and I also believe we need as a global society determine how we are going to get out of this because one years has become two years and it is looking like there will be no letup. I don't think restrictions will be with us in 2025 but who knows and why not? How scaled up can we really get our healthcare systems especially as the population in this part of the world ages more and more every year. Obviously this winter was always going to be touch and go but I wasn't expecting us to be on the brink of another lockdown.

However, these decisions by Government are damaging to them so I don't see what their modus operandi is other than the fact that our health system is on the brink of collapse. Underfunding and mismanagement of resources is definitely a huge issue but it's not relevant to the here and now. The people responsible need to be cleared out in a root and branch after this but right now with the virus escalating, they must really believe that the situation is slipping out of our control.

The way I see it you have people who think the Government want to bring in these totalitarian laws, then you have the anti-vaxers, then you have the Covid 'rationalists' who believe we need to let nature take its course and cannot go on limiting people's lives because people die of a natural disease(Survival of the fittest makes sense when you're dealing with statistics but each life lost is somebody's mum, dad, aunt, uncle, so while it does make sense, there's a human element that makes it unlikely, at least not as an overt policy, however eventually this decision will be made), then you have the people who just want to criticise Government(the decisions are either too harsh or not harsh enough)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Advertisement