Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Any other decent sources of info on eGolf - ie forums and Facebook groups.

Would like to know how (for example) the 35 kwh battery is holding up re degredation.

Given that eGolf isnt actively cooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

There’s about 35k on it I think - I got it 2nd hand and have had it nearly a year so figured I’d go get it looked at.

Also I found out that, because I brought it in from the UK, my vw roadside assistance isn’t ‘activated’ and won’t be until the car has a service by an Irish dealer. Personally I thought this line was complete BS but no amount of arguing with the drone on the phone was going to change this. As I sat there with a flat tire. Which was caused by the dealer botching the fix on a slow puncture...

Depending on the age of the car, UK cars only come with 2 years warranty/roadside assist.

The “activating” it by servicing it is applicable to any Vw no matter how old. Ie. If you brought a 6 year old Vw to a dealer for a service you get 12 months road side assist included with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Has anyone updated the maps in the infotainment? Saw someone on FB had done it.

It's 25 gig of maps!

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/?car=a3e422d7-ab49-4a9e-aa71-37fe8035fe76

I'm assuming it's straight forward enough - download, unzip, put it on the SD card.

Just wondering if anyone has done it/found it worthwhile?

Got the maps, when I plug into the sd card, the message for software updates available appears but when i go into the version update and choose sd card, its tries for about 30 seconds then gives an error. Anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

So, told €179 for service/inspection by VW frank keane. That’s crazy expensive right? I was under the impression that electric car service would be around the €120 mark.

They also tried to sell me a pollen filter and HSE approved fumigation of the car (or something) for an extra €69. Do I just have a telephone manor that says ‘go ahead and fleece me’?

I’m currently booked in for next week but will cancel in a flash if anyone can confirm that this is a nonsense price to pay. Thanks.

What’s nonsense is them charging you €69 to clean your car after they’ve worked on it. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    What’s nonsense is them charging you €69 to clean your car after they’ve worked on it. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

Ah now, not just cleaned, hse approved, ninja germ killing cleaned.

I got mine serviced last week, charged 60 for brake fluid change. They caught me off guard, should of said no because the car is not 3 years old although it does have about 65k on the clock. Got a back wiper & car cleaned (car not charged though) all for 180

Tell Frank Keane where to go. Its like Amazon etc looking for money for an extended warranty, a legalized scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote: »
    That would be consistent with you using a 16A cable. Is there any letters on the cable? Take a picture and post it here. If you don't have another cable or another charge point to try it on and you're ever around Lucan, drop over to me and you can try my setup which has been working for nearly 3.5 years @7kW with my 7kW charge point and my 32A cable :)

Quick update on this - the car is now charging from a 50km range to full in 4 hours. Not sure what I did to change this, but it's a big improvement. I suspect the cable I got with the car is a 16A one, so I am chasing VW up about that - I don't use it often (the home point is tethered), so it's not too urgent . Thanks again for your offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Pablo-El-Vagabu

Looking for some advice from e-Golf owners.

Just had a test drive today with my wife. We've had a 05 Hyundai Accent for the last ten years and a Fiat Punto before that.

We wanted to see if we can go electric and saw a decent eGolf at th eedge of our price range.

We felt like two complete newbs trying to drive this thing, ece though we've both been driving for two decades. Very different experience. After getting stuck a few times with nothing happening - we figured out we had the car hud on but the car itself seemed to be off because we weren't pressing on the brake to start it all the time. Bit overwelmed with the amount of options and gadgets etc. Bit learning cover, but two things stood out.

Braking: I know we probably need to get used to braking, and the dealer said it as well, but it made a pretty loud KER-ClUNK noise when you'd press down all the way on the brake to come to a full stop. Coming from the Hyundai we were probably pretty heavy on the brake, but even when we went easy and it slowed down nice the very last bit to the full stop wasn't smooth and had that clunky sound like something engaging.

The other issue wasn't as big but the HUD for speed etc was very bright white light style light. We found an option to dial down the brightness, but is there a night mode on it to change the colour. Me and the wife have the Night Shift on all the time on our phones and I do it for all my laptops, its just easier on the eyes. Is there an option like that?

The speed was impressive and I think we can work with the range. Surprisingly roomy in the cabin, more than our Hyundai which was surprising as it didnt seem so from the pictures. We are going to get some test drives with a Leaf and Ioniq to compare the drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Braking: I know we probably need to get used to braking, and the dealer said it as well, but it made a pretty loud KER-ClUNK noise when you'd press down all the way on the brake to come to a full stop. Coming from the Hyundai we were probably pretty heavy on the brake, but even when we went easy and it slowed down nice the very last bit to the full stop wasn't smooth and had that clunky sound like something engaging.

That doesn't sound right?! Sounds like something mechanically wrong with the car.

There is D mode while driving and B Mode, which is the regen braking (where it tops up the battery from the energy created under braking).

When pressing the foot brake pedal in both cases, there should be no large noises whatsoever.

• Advertisement

That doesn't sound right?! Sounds like something mechanically wrong with the car.

There is D mode while driving and B Mode, which is the regen braking (where it tops up the battery from the energy created under braking).

When pressing the foot brake pedal in both cases, there should be no large noises whatsoever.

Really? We could defiantly hear the break system engage right as it fully stopped. Because the car is so quiet it probably brought attention to it, but it was a metallic clank of something engaging and the car would stop hard then. We thought it was us being not used to the breaks being hard on them. The stop was very sudden though.

Dealer didnt seem a chancer, took it for a spin himself around a car park and said he'd never really noticed it before but it was a normal type of sound for most cars, mentioning that the electrics were quieter and you'd hear the sound more. He said he was used to the brakes and could being it to a gentle stop, but me and the wife couldnt when we'd brought it on the test drive, it was fine gentle slow down until right at the end when we'd press the brake in all the way to come to a full stop - maybe you're not suppose to with these type of cars - to be honest there was a lot about driving it that was different from my very manual old Hyundai.

EDIT: We only tried D and R, and the sudden stop happened for both of us on both.

I’d genuinely say that’s you being over sensitive due to lack of other noises: the brakes in the electric cars are weird anyway (in comparison)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is it a parking brake auto-engaging?

That would happen just as the car comes to a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Really? We could defiantly hear the break system engage right as it fully stopped. Because the car is so quiet it probably brought attention to it, but it was a metallic clank of something engaging and the car would stop hard then. We thought it was us being not used to the breaks being hard on them. The stop was very sudden though.

Dealer didnt seem a chancer, took it for a spin himself around a car park and said he'd never really noticed it before but it was a normal type of sound for most cars, mentioning that the electrics were quieter and you'd hear the sound more. He said he was used to the brakes and could being it to a gentle stop, but me and the wife couldnt when we'd brought it on the test drive, it was fine gentle slow down until right at the end when we'd press the brake in all the way to come to a full stop - maybe you're not suppose to with these type of cars - to be honest there was a lot about driving it that was different from my very manual old Hyundai.

EDIT: We only tried D and R, and the sudden stop happened for both of us on both.

My eGolf is a year old and I can confirm none of the noises you describe have ever occurred in my car since day 1

Still doesn't sound good to me. Your best bet would be to test drive another eGolf. For the sake of comparison go to a VW dealer and ask for a test drive. You don't have to buy the car from them, but it will give you a good idea if the one that you are actually interested in is mechanically sound.

L-M wrote: »
    I’d genuinely say that’s you being over sensitive due to lack of other noises: the brakes in the electric cars are weird anyway (in comparison)

Very possible.
    KCross wrote: »
    Is it a parking brake auto-engaging?

That would happen just as the car comes to a stop.

It could be this. It was audible like a robotic sound and it happened right after the dead stop. I did see the parking brake flap and auto-hold, I dont think the auto hold was on all the time though, but cant be sure.
    My eGolf is a year old and I can confirm none of the noises you describe have ever occurred in my car since day 1
    Still doesn't sound good to me. Your best bet would be to test drive another eGolf. For the sake of comparison go to a VW dealer and ask for a test drive. You don't have to buy the car from them, but it will give you a good idea if the one that you are actually interested in is mechanically sound.

Concerning. Yeah I think we'll need to test drive another eGolf just to be sure. We're going to try a Leaf and Ioniq as well before we fully decide.

Thanks for all the feedback. There were a few other niggly issues with the interior - my wife is very sensitive to blue light - like the LEDs - and the dash and interior chrome finishes were causing her a few issues. It's funny the stuff you think is important isn't once you get into the car. She'd probably prefew one with the analogue speed/battery display.

EDIT:

This might be the issue I was hearing, as suggested:

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/electronic-parking-brake-sound-is-it-normal.6022106/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Philippe14

I have a less than a year old e-Golf. I don't find the normal breaking noisy at all, but the automatic handbrake can be. So if the sound is after the complete stop, that's probably it.

As for one of the other issues, there is almost certainly a night mode. I don't like much bright displays myself and I got all of it display on black background and mostly dark colours. No problem seeing everything in day light either. I can't point you to where you change that setting though. If you make an image search for "egolf dashboard display" you can see how it looks.

Philippe14 wrote: »
    I have a less than a year old e-Golf. I don't find the normal breaking noisy at all, but the automatic handbrake can be. So if the sound is after the complete stop, that's probably it.

As for one of the other issues, there is almost certainly a night mode. I don't like much bright displays myself and I got all of it display on black background and mostly dark colours. No problem seeing everything in day light either. I can't point you to where you change that setting though. If you make an image search for "egolf dashboard display" you can see how it looks.

Good to know. We may try it again.

Do you find it easy to come to a gentile stop with the breaks? We couldnt do it, felt like I'd get whiplash. We slow it down low smoothly, just the last bit when we'd fully depress the break would feel very sudden and uncomfortable, maybe that's the parking break coming in early.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I have one for over a year now and definitely no clunk when you press the breaks or come to a stop. Even my auto handbrake doesn't make that much noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Philippe14

Do you find it easy to come to a gentile stop with the breaks? We couldnt do it, felt like I'd get whiplash. We slow it down low smoothly, just the last bit when we'd fully depress the break would feel very sudden and uncomfortable, maybe that's the parking break coming in early.
    I find it very easy to do gentile stop. To be honest, learn to use the regenerative breaking will force you to anticipate a bit more on your breaking so that you hardly have to break at all.

Other than that, I have changed car a few times and there is always a few times to adapt to how much you have to push the break pedal. But that comes quickly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Yes, we've had an eGolf for 10 months and we use the regenerative braking in D3 around the town. It is definitely a more relaxed style of driving as you anticipate how far ahead you need to stop or drop to a crawling speed and you use the regenerative braking to do most of the work. It also means there is very little wear on the brakes.

I’ve mine for 12 months also, and also no ‘clunk’. By all means try another one to compare, but doesn’t sound right to me.

I drive mostly in D mode to get the benefit of coasting when I can (the local terrain means this is the best method of driving for me - others drive in B mode the whole time because that suits them - I like to lift my foot off the accelerator at times and not slow down right away - B mode means that you will begin to brake gently right away - just a personal preference).

I generally shift from D to B to slow down the car, say coming to a stop at a traffic lights. 300 yards out, I will drop to B mode and by the time you get to the traffic lights you will be slow enough and just have a short press of the brake pedal to come to a complete stop.

Dropping from D to B is kinda similar to gearing down in a manual car. It slows you down without using the brake pedal as such (plus you get some nice regen and free juice in the battery) :)

This is one of the nice things that I love about the eGolf - it has a standard automatic gear shift stick that allows you to do this easily. Most other EVs have the gear selector as a round dial or small selector near the steering wheel. When it comes time to move on from the eGolf to the next generation of EV, I will definitely miss this.

I drive mostly in D mode to get the benefit of coasting when I can (the local terrain means this is the best method of driving for me - others drive in B mode the whole time because that suits them - I like to lift my foot off the accelerator at times and not slow down right away - B mode means that you will begin to brake gently right away - just a personal preference).

I generally shift from D to B to slow down the car, say coming to a stop at a traffic lights. 300 yards out, I will drop to B mode and by the time you get to the traffic lights you will be slow enough and just have a short press of the brake pedal to come to a complete stop.

Dropping from D to B is kinda similar to gearing down in a manual car. It slows you down without using the brake pedal as such (plus you get some nice regen and free juice in the battery) :)

This is one of the nice things that I love about the eGolf - it has a standard automatic gear shift stick that allows you to do this easily. Most other EVs have the gear selector as a round dial or small selector near the steering wheel. When it comes time to move on from the eGolf to the next generation of EV, I will definitely miss this.

Have you driven the ID.3? I find its much better programmed than shifting from D to B or messing with paddles to change regen levels from 0-3..... the ID.3 has dynamic regen, which is way way better in my view. Much more comfortable driving experience.

So, if you lift off the pedal and there is nothing in front of you and no bend up ahead the car will coast... which is exactly what you would want it to do. If you take your foot off the pedal but there is a car in front of you or a bend just up ahead it will engage variable amounts of regen to slow the car down appropriately.... not a set amount determined by a paddle or D/B mode... variable based on speed, distance etc..... its a slick implementation in my view.... not yet perfect but it gets it right most of the time in my experience.

Have you driven the ID.3? I find its much better programmed than shifting from D to B or messing with paddles to change regen levels from 0-3..... the ID.3 has dynamic regen, which is way way better in my view. Much more comfortable driving experience.

So, if you lift off the pedal and there is nothing in front of you and no bend up ahead the car will coast... which is exactly what you would want it to do. If you take your foot off the pedal but there is a car in front of you or a bend just up ahead it will engage variable amounts of regen to slow the car down appropriately.... not a set amount determined by a paddle or D/B mode... variable based on speed, distance etc..... its a slick implementation in my view.... not yet perfect but it gets it right most of the time in my experience.

No, haven't done a test drive yet. I think the ID.4 might be on the cards though, so looking forward to getting a spin in that.

I like the 'manual' shifting as I did enjoy driving the manual gearbox ICE cars, so it kinda replicates that to some extent, but it's good that VW have thought about this aspect with the dynamic option in the ID range. The ID.3 looks class I have to say!

Anyone have experience with a failed charging flap actuator?

Dealer says I've to break it open so I can charge it to bring it down for a repair of actuator & charging lid, €€€

Dempsey wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with a failed charging flap actuator?

Dealer says I've to break it open so I can charge it to bring it down for a repair of actuator & charging lid, €€€

Is there no manual release?

Other EV's usually have a cable that you pull from inside the boot space somewhere to release the lid if the actuator is broken. e-Golf not have that?

Is there no manual release?

Other EV's usually have a cable that you pull from inside the boot space somewhere to release the lid if the actuator is broken. e-Golf not have that?

It did on mk5's etc but not for mk7's. Its now a self contained unit inside the housing apparently

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Old thread, but appropriate. Seen a 212 egolf today. Or a gte I think it was badged.

Why? Didn't they stop selling those a year ago. I can only assume it was one someone ordered and it only came in on late 2021. Why though!?

• Advertisement

GTE badge would suggest it’s the PHEV, not the eGolf

Advertisement