Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

It’s highly unlikely I picked it up here. And it doesn’t really matter. I thought it normal to be curious about where I picked it up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭prunudo

They matter but not to the same point as they did in March 2020 or January 2021, the media are presently loosing the run of themselves baying for more restrictions to be reintroduced on the back of case numbers rising. Which imo is uncalled for.

I'm more concerned about Hospital spread infections than community spread tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Fair enough . Thought that NIAC had come out with approval . I don't think they will unless the government push it .

Previous post discussing same .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭brickster69

Pablo says London is a basket case yet he runs off back to Ireland to feel safe. 🤣

😂

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Sure, but I wouldn’t call London a basket case. I think that their approach is the right one as long as can be managed within hospital and ICU capacity (which it seems like it can as long as stays relatively stable at these kind of levels, which it seems to be atm)

it is not Covid itself that is the issue any more, it’s hospital capacity. That is the driver of restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I've been in a few parts of the UK a few times during the past month and no part I've been in (including london) has been a "basket case" really. Hardly anyone wearing face coverings on public transport but all avoiding sitting next to anyone from what I saw. Nobody outright coughing or sniffling either. I certainly don't feel unsafe - although I'll naturally do a few antigen tests when I go back to Ireland for the sake of my colleagues.

The only restriction I could really see the government doing now is either limiting capacity in hospitality or making it takeout only. Cause those two technically mean nothing is being made to close, therefore no PUP entitlement.

Just on this - the polls are carried out by Red C, usually paid and are worth about 4/5 euro to survey takers.

Jim Hodge will disagree, but survey takers aren’t a representative sample of the population. They’re an ok sample but for something like restrictions they aren’t. With all due respect to those doing surveys, you’re not going to spending too much time doing surveys while living a decent social life. Disclaimer: I did these surveys myself when my workplace shut, and do some these days time to time while commuting. They’re a time killer if you’re stuck. But now I’m back in work, seeing people and going out, i wouldn’t be doing too many surveys, especially the ESRI one which takes 30 mins approx.

Only seeing this now .

I don't want more restrictions any more than anyone else , but as long as we can manage this surge and keep the numbers decent .

It is emotive . I totally get where you are coming from . We have had a horrible 21 months where I am too . And that isn't even work .

But I get a bit emotive listening to some people sxxxing on about not being able to go to the gym or pub without a Covid pass , having to wear a mask when moving around indoors in a crowded place , or the inconvenience of having to go for a test when symptomatic . Oh and how the health service is totally to blame !

It's not good but it's what we have at the present time and we just have to get on with it . There are a lot of people in said health service working their bvtts off and doing more than their jobs worth since this began , but it all gets sucked away with the " health service is to blame " mantra .

I also have said countless times I am not a fan of these passes but they are a means to an end .

I won't be looking for any further easing any time soon .

But I think you know that ..

I know a lot of people are badly affected by this , I know that me and mine are too .

But am hoping that as the vaccine boosters roll out this disease while still very infectious will not be leading to problems in hospital and we can start unwinding again .

There is a lot of talk and stirring about restrictions and boosters and Covid passes going on here recently .

We have not half the restrictions that are being mooted , and I don't listen to politicians either in the media or here , kiteflying .

There are some people here who appear to like anticipating that we will be in a worse situation than we are , either with restrictions or cases. There is no point anticipating bad news , when and if , is time enough to deal with it , and while it is interesting to discuss what might happen or how things are going , every time somebody comes on getting angry and shouting the odds all it does is get everybody upset and emotional.

As regards your children ,do what is best for you and your family to keep safe and as happy as you can . You know your situation best .

Don't know about restrictions on kids parties, and I certainly don't think children should be wearing masks at all . I would prefer to see antigen testing rolled out on a serial basis for schools so everybody would know where they stood .

I think it's a very loaded question asking me what would I do if I was in charge tbf , and while I think you are genuine , I would be attacked for expressing that particular view ! As it is I can't state a simple fact about something I deal with every working day , without a slew of posters telling me they know better because they read something on Twitter or worse .

So I will leave that if you don't mind 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

it would be ok ireland was taking no notice of same as uk but thankfully wactually care about people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just reading that . Thought you meant they turned ' strange ' but I see it's the timing of the dose ! 😊

Yep. Are they still sending tests to Germany or has that stopped with some of the private testers coming on board ?

But sure they are storing them up on purpose to scare the bejaysus out of us over the weekend !

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

@Goldengirl fair enough! Thanks for giving me your insight.

I can understand that...I suppose they can't understand fully the fear and exhaustion where you work no more than you could understand someone who's running a business and thinks we need to move along for the sake of his/her own livelihood. We all can only see what's in front of us most of the time.

I just sometimes find it difficult to understand why millions of people's lives need to be curtailed and reduced to manage 100 odd people in ICU. It seems mad to me. But again...I say this as someone far away from it. I'm a teacher and a parent of young children and I despair at what this is doing to them. Not covid but the restrictions on their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,203 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nearly 6000 cases today, they all can't be unvaxxed, it's depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,450 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

People who got Jansen single dose vaccine in summer have very little protection from infection at this point based on the studies I have seen ... the protection from severe covid is more durable though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yes agreed . Children and teenagers have had their normal development stunted by this.

100 odd though is on top of everything else going on , and that number requires nearly 1.5 times to double staff and resources in order to keep everyone separate .

But what choice is there ? I can say I understand about business owners but obviously it's just empathy . There is no area unaffected by this , THM .

It's all over Europe so we are just stuck unless we can get some control. Whether we need more restrictions to do that I don't know , I hope not .

We are in a different place to last winter because we know most people are and will be protected now but it's just unbelievable the pressure atm .

Maybe they left it too long to start boosters or slow down general care . And now we are in surge capacity which will lead to everything else being slowed or stopped inevitably .

Everybody laughs at the phrase the next 2 weeks , but it is true today more than ever .

One thing to be hopeful about is the reduction in older people being admitted very sick with Covid because of boosters .

But then it is terrible to see younger people who could have avoided so much if they had got their vaccines in the first place .

At least the numbers being admitted are less than when we last had 6000 cases a day .

You teachers have a raw deal with Norma ( not) looking out for ye ?

I have a kid in Leaving Cert and they don't even know if they can have a PTM never mind will they be sitting their mocks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Have you believed up to now that the thousands of cases recorded every single day were all amongst unvaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Will Covid be the only cause of mortality this Winter Betty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭I see sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

No unless l have the poster name wrong they were due to go to a wedding ,they took a precautionary Antigen test that came back positive , they then paid at Dublin Airport for a PCR test which also came back positive ,

I presume the booster nurse will ask them on Monday if they've had Covid recently but you never know .

I got myself in a bit of a long running to and fro on here because of this very situation so have to say I am very interested to know what happened...

Not just being nosey😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Tony must be on the verge of resigning given that the government aren't listening to him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

He definitely said a week ago that he had a positive PCR test, so I'd too like to know how he has a booster appointment on Monday.

Unfortunately MM is slavishly deferential. If there was a general election tomorrow, one could root out a cowardly coalition and by proxy an unelected advisory body with delusions of grandeur beyond their didactic station.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,203 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No I knew vaxxed had caught and were even in hospital from it, it's depressing as really there is no end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

If the positive PCR test was with the private company at Dublin Airport maybe the HSE system for booking in those due next for the booster aren't linked ?

Who know's in away they should be tho

Advertisement