Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie ahern

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah. Even the dullards & mouth breathers are coming around to realise what he did for the peace process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Where I'm originally from wasn't far from what would have been considered a "republican ghetto" in South Armagh back in the day (Crossmaglen) though I've long departed it, for rural South county Dublin, I have no issue with self describing it, or others describing it as such.

I see nothing wrong with Bertie's comment, there are Loyalist ghettos up north too, take a drive though some areas of East and North Belfast for example. Larne, Ballymena or Portadown.

What's the big fuss about him calling a spade a spade?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What's the big fuss about him calling a spade a spade?

I suspect that it is because loyalists (and unionists) see themselves above the Irish and to be told by an Irish person that they live in a ghetto is a massive insult (even if it is true)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Absolute ArseHole , heard him yet again this morning on Claire Byrne, it absolutely astonishes me the short memory Some I'm media circles seem to have, Ahern is like a fly around Shyte. Fair enough he played a part in the peace process but to my my mind others did the heavy lifting.

It was kind of Ironic Bertie appearing on various programs on the same week his appalling Shenanigans featured on reeling in the years and Oliver Callan focusing on the infamous Bertie years.

Haughey best described Ahern as the most cunning and Devious, I'd like to add he is Vile, Ghastly and a reminder how bad Politics was in this country at one time, horrid individual.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I don't believe so. You are too use to FF and FG.

The damage these 'white collar' criminals leave in their wake is far reaching and long lasting. Working people are aware of this.

Ahern is pure dirt with a brass neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Stellar contribution.

On the subject of Bertie, he is someone I have very little time for, but he does make an important point. There are ghettos in the North, imposed and enforced by the two main sectarian parties, and that is something that must change.

Have you tried deleting a post? No need for the attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I heard he knocks out a great version of this on the Karaoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

He was right about the loyalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Partition created divisions in the north, loyalist v nationalitist areas arose from those divisions, some areas, within areas could be described as "ghettos", some areas became affluent (Malone road immediately springs to mind)

As someone who appears to support partition, you should be aware of that fact as little details such as that tend to be important.

However, let's not ignore the elephant in the room. There are what could be described as "ghettos "in Dublin, Cork, Limerick Galway and Waterford and other cities and large towns here too, can we blame sectarian party's up north for then evolving into ghettos for them also, or do we accept that most developed countries across the world have affluent areas and areas that can be described as "ghettos"?

Post edited by BKelly21 on

• Registered Users Posts: 69,152 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd agree that governments are ultimately responsible for the formation of 'ghettos'. And Bertie being a part of the power swap here is as responsible as anybody else.

However he wasn't making a comparison to here in his remarks, so can't really be called for being hypocritical, he was just stating a fact. The scrotes burning buses know nothing about the Protocol or it's complexity

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I'm used to FF and FG alright. But then they still manage to hold on to power, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yes indeed. And they've been a great bunch of lads :)

I still believe most people are decent. Can't vouch for FF/FG of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"We need to get away from this lazy and thoroughly dishonest notion that anyone who espouses a unionist position or criticises nationalism is somehow struggling to get used to not dominating nationalists."

"Stormont existed in its original form for 51 years. It has been gone for 49. So any unionist with any genuine recollection of the “Protestant Parliament for a Protestant People” would need to be at least seventy (and at least 72 to have voted for it), as would any Catholic who experienced the negative impact of it. Yet it is constantly cast up to us, not least by those who endorse the Provisionals’ campaign without having lived through the random carnage it inflicted on everyone here."

Bertie's remarks appear to have touched a nerve in all sorts of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

My only surprise is Bertie not showing up a Garth Brooks vomit enducing press show yesterday, seems every other Dick was in attendance 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Berties return is to allow him to do a lap of honour to celebrate 25 years of the good Friday agreement.

He certainly deserves some credit but not it all.

FF probably knew that he would be like banquos ghost in terms of celebrating this - if they kept him out of the party. FF.

However any talk of him running for president is pure bullshit. He must know that.

I don't begrudge him his dig out. Compared to Haughey he was a barrow boy.

It's his destruction of the Irish economy id never forgive him for

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - I've closed this thread as it's 2 years old

Please discuss Bertie Ahern in the new thread

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058283511/bertie-ahern-rejoins-fianna-fail

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement