Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ginger22

Had Smaxtec system here a few years ago but dropped it for collars. Worked fine but the problem was the boluses went out the gate with the cull cow, so have to buy new boluses each year for the heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

He’s one of the best posters on this forum imo, just because he doesn’t allow himself to be brainwashed by the likes of Teagasc and Glanbia like many are and can actually think for himself, isn’t bitching and moaning as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It might be a good idea to wait and see how the diy AI goes before getting rid of the bull. Been doing it here for years but it takes some time to become competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Jay definitely has the contrarian view to many on here who read the gospel according to teagasc. Nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

And their off spring are the most liquid cattle on the market ,always seem to sell away whatever about the profit side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

See the derogation isn't going to be renewed until march at the earliest. I guess they will extend 2021 derogation. Either that or big disruption.

there is no long term future for derogation. This looks like government playing games, putting blame on Europe always the go to excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭green daries

I'd second that everyone has a view wether it comes with advisories or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

His replacement for this season a Angus, broke his leg the first week out, so I thought I'd chance him on for another year with the heifers, he hadn't shown any aggression up until 2 months ago, re my bitching and moaning, the most recent example where I was 100% justified was the fertilizer trend, anyone on here that listened to us at the time on that issue would of saved themselves alot of money....

Of course if they followed the advice of their teagasc advisor and the likes of Aidan Brennan they are left with a nice headache heading into the spring, I also done alot of bitching and moaning the time of the last glanbia spinout and was proven 100% correct on what's transpired since, if you want to highlight a issue in the past where I've been completely and utterly talking out of my arse go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Can we have a do over day?

Terrible to see two valued long term members come to this disagreement. Timmaay you must have gotten the leg over very recently with that rush of blood to the head. All our reputations on here are what they are. Mostly nobody cares. And maybe that's everyones fault. But it gives an honesty to the place too. Anyway, I loves ya both.

Have the cows in since the start of the month. Just started giving Himalayan rock salt three days ago after seeing cows drinking dirty water on the ground. Already the cows intake of silage has reduced since the HRS has gone in. Reducing by two bales of silage in two days. Must be that cows eat till they get a certain amount of nutrients?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Tbf jay you’d want to have your head in your hole if didn’t know there was going to be an issue with fert for next year

I’ve bought none, didn’t have the funds at hand to do so. As would be the case for the majority

its going to affect everyone anyway, feck all ppl would have been able to secure there years supply in early October realistically any way, and personally I would be slow to panic buy anything in rising prices

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Wow, so Jay nearly gets killed by a bloody bull here, I leave what I think is a harmless but harsh comment towards him that I do not want to see him as another death statistic, yep I pass a comment about his reputation that others obviously don't agree with me on, and you's all pass over the point that I was actually trying to hammer home (jay get bloody rid of any fr bulls sooner moving forwards). But anyways good luck.

Maybe ya. I find November a very heavy month on silage. Can't keep the bales drawn into them.

Difference of opinion is what makes this forum great ….something to say say it …no point been a bunch of arse lickers all agreeing with one another and saying Tegasc ,the journal ,Brennan etc are all great …pushed the boundaries with a few posters over the years but never any malice bitterness against anyone ….just move on life too short

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Look lads, I have to say I am only in here a wet week, but this is a super forum. The advice and help that I have gotten here has been invaluable on the way to getting started in dairy. Everyone has their own system and way of doing things but everyone here is willing to explain their viewpoint and what their system is about and then you take what suits you.

For what it's worth, I am not sure what Timmay said was all that wrong, just poorly phrased. I read it first time and was a bit "oooohhh". I re read it then and thought that he was pointing out that Jay is his own man kind of. I'd take that as a compliment to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Anyway, my herd is 60% second calvers and 40% first calvers. I am going to dry off at about 440kg/Ms feeding roughly 1 tonne of meal. I would hope to get to 500kg/Ms next year. Am I being optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Absolutely love this forum...like grueller I'm a new poster but have followed for years and have learned so much, much of which I've implemented at home.. great variety of methods and opinions and many nuggets of knowledge which are wat ahead of mainstream farming advice, to be got here..long may it continue and its only tnrough everybody's participation regardless of your standpoint that this forum will be worthwhile viewing..

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I don't think so but weather of course I'd a huge factor..my target is 400kg ms oad next year in my 4th year..375kg roughly with 25% heifers off 500kg nuts this year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Jay saved me a few Bob, I went and luckily sourced can at 380. I rented 3 bulls last year, gone out the gate at end of breeding

What's your plan going to be, head in the sand until late January then try and buy some if it's even available, then re your comment on financing it, what's the plan going to be their hope the co-op/merchant ups your credit limit, our try and get a bank loan/overdraft extended.....

Post edited by jaymla627 on

There was alot of people with their head in their hole so. I was at 2 teagasc farm walks around that time and the gospel according to teagasc was protected urea. People asked about fertiliser availability next year and co ops assured the crowd there was no issue. Teagasc advice at the time was put in a big enough order and the merchant will fill it. The large crowd of teagasc were ecstatic at getting out of the office and the head teagasc guy said lockdown taught us all alot about resilience. I just couldn't wait to get out of there.

As for people not being able to afford it. Why is it then that I'm constantly hearing about "highly profitable dairy farming".

Fertiliser and it’s cost and availability should be on every farmers mind now ….silence is deafening as to a plan from our advisory body …clover not going to be help unless in and established …mss there sitting on the fence unsure what to advise ….slurry and less ….it’ll be a help but you can only put so much slurry out …do you go source fertiliser and do you prioritise silage ground to guarntee silage for next winter ….interesting to see the advice in jan re early urea ….Maize will be a real alternative crop to give a real good compliment to grass …bulky crop and good energy ,be a sea change for them to advise that

have small stock of urea in hand here ,working on a plan for liquid n …buying bales to minimise amount of own silage I have to use .will be able to access more urea and compound for winter wheat but no commitment on price

Think I will wait a while until things calm down on this forum before posting again.

Lads seem to be taking things things very personal.

Post away ….every opinion counts just because someone gets the hump dosnt mean it’s wrong ……or right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Sure what’s anyone’s plan Jay

you’d be in the very small minority to have fert in the yard, me jumping up and down about it and worrying isn’t going to make the supply magically appear

we were finishing of a job in the yard that over ran due to material price increase hence no funds at hand to buy any

for us yes I’ll try source some in spring and try reduce the amount we spread, we spread 37 kg/ ha less this year over last year, and we’re stocked higher than last year

we have clover established on half the mp and red clover stitched into silage ground so should in theory be able to reduce N on those areas

plan for the spring is to get good thick slurry on silage ground the minute weather is there to travel it at about 3 k gall per acre

then I’m going to turn every down pipe available into slatted tanks and keep the slurry nice and loose to spread behind the cows, 2k gallon an acre should supply 10 units and then get out with 10/15 units chemical N with it

I know a guy who did this this year and he halved his chemical N usage

Would you not maybe cash in 15-20 incalf cows/heifers now, while prices are good and give yourself the buying power now of trying to get a load of fertilizer secured for early spring use before the year is out that you'll have at least a fighting chance of operating normally next year.

If you wait till the spring find out you can't source fertiliser, your basically screwed, their is only so much a few 1000 gallons of watery slurry is going to do, if we end up getting a crappy spring similar to last year, you'll be forced into feeding high levels of meal/silage throughout the second round, to simply just keep cows feed....

Theirs no such thing as a free lunch with the reference to cutting back on fertilizer, especially given your growing huge amounts of grass on your grazing platform year in year out, with alot of resedding etc done, of high preforming prg grass mixtures that need their nitrogen fix to preform

• Advertisement

Not a hope in hell I’d sell my future milking stock to buy fert

id want to be in an awful bad way for money or have a genuine surplus to do so

ill be fine don’t worry about me

Advertisement