Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving fuse box

Options
  • 21-11-2021 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, when we bought our home I stupidly pointed to the hall for our new fuse box. I didnt realise the new regulations were to have it at eye sight. In house a few years and I am worried I'm stuck with it in this spot and really regret not moving it to the back of house.

We haven't finished the house fully and plan to redo the kitchen and put in a proper utility which is the ideal spot for the fuse box.

Is it possible to move the fuse box when we do our extension or will I still be stuck with an eyesore junction box in the same spot?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Well, depending on the level of rewiring involved, you'd still have some sort of junction box unless the mains was rerouted.

There is more chance that there is a lot of work involved than not. If you had it rewired a few years ago, and it was certified back then, you don't have to move it now.

Unfortunately you'd have to see it to answer the questions to know but its usually a very expensive job, maybe if a new doorway was needed where the original was, otherwise it is a messy upgrade. Maybe a more attractive unit in the same location would blend in a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shabster

Thanks, at the moment, it isn't flushed to the wall which is the biggest problem. But when I do my kitchen up in a few years, where fuse box is backs on to the kitchen wall, I was either hoping to have it flushed to wall or move it.

Are junction boxes as big as fuse box and need to be accessible in the same way? I was hoping the junction box would be within the wall hidden?

Also what do you mean if new doorway was needed where it is? This wall backs on to kitchen, which will be done up and will need to be built back up anyway if I want to get it flushed with wall? It isn't a solid wall.

I was just giving a good reason to move a board, over and above aesthetics

junction box size depends on how many circuits the electrician can pull back to the new location and how many would need to be jointed,

flush mounting the board sounds like a good option compared to flush mounting a junction box and moving a board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 PilotHole

Is the current one on a block wall or a stud wall ?

I moved mine last year,

From a surface mounted on to a flush mounted one onto a solid block wall.

Serious mess to flush mount but worth the effort.

Stud wall, it actually used to be a doorway that I closed off and the fuse box was mounted on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PilotHole

That makes it much easier so.

Hager do nice ones with a metal door .

eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0029DEEOO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Advertisement