Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We did send a side to Tbilisi one year! It was not really challenging except that the Boks had a side, IIRC. Maybe that would be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Wouldn’t mind a cup like the Tbilisi cup for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Wasn't the Tblissi Cup a step even below the Churchill Cup? It was more like a 3rd team? Maybe I'm misremembering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Yes. it had Emerging Ireland competing as a third irish side with games not even "A" status

Emerging Ireland, that's right! Forgot that! I did think it was "A" rugby. Might be worth doing something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Yes because it was never done properly. Plus you could say the same about the Lions

If the A team had a proper number of games and competition each season you could have players in the group with the view of moving up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Ire v Arg match thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That was a pretty successful Autumn Series for us. The results and performances against Japan and New Zealand wer excellent. The performance against Argentina wasn't as good, but we saw some fine phase play in fits and starts.

We've bedded in a new style of play that gets the best out of the footballing skills from forwards and backs. Ringrose looks revitalised playing in his dual playmaking and running role. Doris and Kelleher have now proven that they have the ability to excel at test level. And JGP is now vital to the way we perform. His on the fly decision making and speed at which he gets the ball out if the ruck is now crucial to how we play. I also think we've potentially the best front row in rugby. Porter, Kelleher and Furlong are in incredibly athletic and can power through defenders, but also have the footballing skills to act as passing options.

One worry for me is back up 9. It's important that we have a replacement/substitute for JGP who can keep up the tempo of our play. Murray isn't that player. He's a far more deliberate 9 who wants to assess the options he has when he gets to the ruck rather than get the ball out quickly. He didn't play well against Argentina mainly down to the slowness of his style. That had a knock on to what the rest of the side was able to do.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

As a scrumming unit our front row still has some way to go. We coughed up penalties there against Japan and Argentina and I think it was on the LH side each time. Nothing to worry about, Porter just needs time to readapt, but I wouldn't expect much success against SA or France at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Tedious game - great win.

Missed Henderson's physicality, leadership and scrumming.

Doris continues to seriously impress. Murray was so slow. So slow. Casey was a massive relief when he came on.

Carbery was in his hoop MOTM. Furlong was better and more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

One worry for me is back up 9. It's important that we have a replacement/substitute for JGP who can keep up the tempo of our play. Murray isn't that player. He's a far more deliberate 9 who wants to assess the options he has when he gets to the ruck rather than get the ball out quickly. He didn't play well against Argentina mainly down to the slowness of his style. That had a knock on to what the rest of the side was able to do.

I wonder who should be the backup nine? Lots of options but far from clear who they should go with. Seems like we need someone similar enough to Gibson Park so our playing style doesn't change when he departs. Option A appear to be Murray right now but he is noticeably slower than Gibson Park and it does hamper us. Casey is next in line and while he brings great tempo and has great potential I'm not sure if he is ready to be the second choice nine at international level, Luke McGrath has to come into consideration - he stills seems ahead of Gibson-Park at provincial level and Leinster don't seem to alter their style when he play . Marmion maybe? What about Blade? Always struck me as a pacy player but probably needs to get ahead of MArmion first to be a realistic option. Cooney at Ulster has looked great for a few years, but think that possibility has passed, also not sure if his style is the pacy fast one that I'm thinking Ireland now need. What about Doak, lots of talk about him and his potential - what type of scumhalf is her?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I hope we don't just default to having JGP as the no.1 SH. He's been a revelation the past few weeks, but there are other lads like Blade, who've been excellent who warrant a chance too.

Legitimate competition is what I want for the team going forward.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I can only recall one penalty against Porter today, which was a poor call as the argie clearly lost his bind.

In turn though we won what, 3?, scrum penalties ourselves? And we won plenty versus the all blacks through porters side last week

I don't think we've to much to worry to be honest from porter. I'd be much more worried about who his long term back up is going to be. Healy has another 6n in him at best, IMHO, and killer not being able to get ahead of him at this stage of healys career doesn't bode well going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

JGP's performances have been great but it must come with the caveat that he had it on a plate. Look at our ruck presentation today - how many times in the first half did it squirt out the side, players getting in the way of Murray picking it up etc. Once we got the upper hand the play flowed better.

I'd be interested to see how JGP goes against the likes of France/England in the Six Nations - but you'd have to say the starter's jersey is his to lose as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Next Friday might tell us alot about Doak. If he starts v Leinster there is a fair chance his pack won't have dominance..

He looked a superstar in first few games but when Ulster were in trouble v connacht the last day out he was ordinary enough.. saying that no one from ulster was great really.

As per your question what sort of scrum half is it. The most common comparison he is getting is Ruan pienar and its not far off.

He is an excellant prospect. Over 6 foot tall. well able to control a game, great pass, has an eye for a try and excellent kicker. Might not be lightening fast at the base of a ruck but not slow either. Normally surveys the defence before he gets to the ruck not when he is there slowing it too much and mixes pass running and kicking fairly well.

Id imagine he will be the 2023 world squad bolter but not sure who misses out from the November scrum halves.

We were having more difficulty at the breakdown because Argentina were winning collisions against us in a way that Japan / NZ didn't. Argentina were winning those collisions because we weren't getting quick ruck ball, we weren't getting quick ruck ball because Murray was slowing it down at the back of the ruck. Wash rinse repeat.

Our ruck speed the last two weeks has been incredibly fast, from tackle, breakdown to delivery from 9. Our ruck speed was much slower today and a lot of that was down to Murray's ponderous play style. The last two weeks we've changed the point of attack across the pack as we carry towards contact, we did that today but it was less relentless and more predictable because of our slower ruck speed. There is no other explanation in my mind why we regularly lost gain-line and why our backs seemed hesitant in possession (particularly at 10). While Argentina were regularly offside, their line speed was a direct result of our ball delivery and that is very much down to Murray's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“There is no other explanation in my mind why we regularly lost gain-line and why our backs seemed hesitant in possession (particularly at 10).”

I largely agree with your overall point Venjur, but no other explanation why 10 in particular seemed hesitant? Surely the obvious point is that we had a different 10.

(I’m not saying Murray’s ponderousness at times didn’t have an affect either, mind).

It was all of our backs though. The wingers barely touching the ball in the first half and the amount of times 10 / 12 / 13 ran laterally looking for gaps (even doubling back on themselves) was something we haven't seen the last two weeks. That hesitation was down to Argentina having a set defensive line, which they had because our ruck speed was on average a few seconds slower.

I'd have liked to have seen Carbery and Casey for a bit to be honest. Wasn't convinced by Carbery but he wasn't helped at all by Murray. I'll watch the game back but as others have commented, I thought Harry Byrne seemed more decisive on the ball (execution aside) and we had more of a flow when he was on. That could be more down to Casey, it could also be down to Argentina being more fatigued at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Some of his passing from the base took that extra second at times. Other times it was snappy, particularly in their 22. Other times our forwards were not protecting or presenting the pill as best as they could, Argentina spoiled or disrupted a lot of our rucks. Go look at the rucks from the first half and the ball squirting out, hitting off legs. That's not all down to Murray - some of the ball he got handed was crap. Things tightened up after before and after half time as Argentina tired and we wore them down. Reading people during the game complaining he's slow when he's taking his time setting up for an exit boxkick from inside the 22... as if he should be flinging it wide rapidly in every scenario.

I don't think he'll be the number one going forward but I don't think he was as bad today as many are making out (or maybe even hoping) on here. Two boxkicks got us in behind them and eventually led to tries, but for a slapped ball down he was in for one himself and a break off a scrum where he then tracked play and got it again in the 22 eventually led to a score if my memory serves me right.

Casey had a much easier ride (as you'd argue it should be for a sub 9 when he comes on if the pack have done their job). His passing is snappier than Murray's generally anyway though. I'd be happy to see Casey in the 23 for the Six Nations, I think his time is coming soon and would be good to bed him in for (potentially) a World Cup squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I disagree with those saying HB was better tbh, but another consideration to add to those you’ve mentioned is that HB played the majority of his time vs a beaten 14 men also.

In any case, I think there’s a decent chance Casey overtakes Murray at Munster before the end of the season. I do have a slight worry about a 9-10 of Casey and Carbery, just defensively tho. We just won’t have the physicality going foward we’ve been lucky enough to have at 9-10 over the last decade regardless tho.

• Advertisement

I'm not disputing what your saying, I'm just pointing out that our difficulties at the ruck were often caused by our difficulties at the ruck. Rather than fast go forward gainline breaking rugby, we had the breaks every few breakdowns for no reason and allowed Argentina to settle and subsequently disrupt.

In a nutshell, even when we had fast ball, we didn't always have fast ball and we allowed Argentina (either as a result of strong defensive tackle or numbers around the breakdown) opportunities to disrupt.

Obviously there were a variety of causes in general and credit to Argentina for reading us well at times, but Murray definitely played a greater part than he should have.

I don't think HB was better necessarily, at least not in terms of his impact on the game. I just think he played more like a 10, linked up the backline and looked to vary things up with chips and grubbers.

Carbery looked like a good fullback playing 10, and then he looked like a good fullback playing fullback.

Again - will reserve judgement until I see him at 10 with that pack but JGP delivering him ball. That was the most unfortunate of the injuries this week - would have been useful to see them start together.

A good autumn. But, we'll see were we are come the 6nations and the summer tour. I was very impressed with the pack throughout the 3 matches. Big efforts from them all.

Pity that Ryan was injured. He was having a good outing. I am a bit concerned for his health. Hopefully he recovers soon.

Casey was a catalyst when he came on. Serious pace to his game. He's the future, imo. Murray wasn't bad! He's just not that good!

Carberry was decent. His kicking off the tee was brilliant. Would have liked to see him play alongside Casey. HB was ok. Some mistakes, poor ones. But, he does really attack the line. It was obvious he has not played in months.

Thought the subs did very well! Very good impact. Lavanini is a maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

When your worst performance of a November window is a 53-7 win over Argentina, you know you're doing something right.

Equally, we shouldn't be under any illusions. Argentina weren't good today. There's a lot we need to improve on. England and France away in the spring will be a mammoth test.

It's been a good November, but there's no trophies for a good November.

I think we are seeing a little changing of the guard, so to speak. Besides the the newer version of our play and the factors that are involved, I would assume AF has set his sights on a more fluid and faster style of play for the past 18 months.

He is to be commended for the lads he's brought into the set up and in particular, the type of player he has included. If we look at each position, it's plain to see what he's looking for. I.e, loose head, Porter switching has been ideal and he has also had E.O.S involved. In general, the pack are very mobile and skillful. He is trying to layer the team with mobility, speed and intensity. So far it's been good.

So Porter is the 1st choice. Healy has been relegated to the bench. Kilcoyne is on the outside looking in. EOS has not managed to improve in the Aretha they wanted, so he was left out. Another similar type player as Porter would be ideal. There are a couple of young players that could make the grade. I think Healy won't make the world cup!

Hooker is now an are of strenght. Kelleher has exceeded my expectations and so has Sheehan! Herring will be thereabouts, but it's pointing towards the Leinster duo. There's other young players who could make a push, Tom Stewart, Barron at Munster.

Tight head is also quite strong. Furlong is world class. Bealham has been impressive and O'Toole is that type of mobile player that could easily slot in. I think he will improve with time.

At lock there's the holy trinity of Beirne, Henderson and Ryan. All superb options. The options behind them are too bad either, Dillane; Baird and Ahern in the future.

Back row is ridiculous. Where do you start? I think we have the deepest pool of quality in the 6nations for back row.

9 is JGP's now! He has it locked down. Murray will do well to hold off Casey. Eventually, Casey will be the starter, imo. Then there's Blade! Doak! and other capable players.

10 is Sexton! Not even close. Carberry is in pole position as back up, but HB will improve with time. Healy and Crowley could step up too. The rest are outside the box right now.

Back 3 is loaded. Keenan and Conway are top class. Lowe has shown improvement and then there's Zebo; Larmour and Stockdale! All could play their way into the team. I think Earls benching for all the matches, is a changing of the guard. Lest I forget, Balacoune. A player who appears to be the complete package. Hansen has been the best wing so far this year, my opinion.

Center is ok. 3 top class performers and a few decent players below that level. The ones to watch would be Hume and Frawley.

It been a revelation watching the transformation of our style. Hopefully, it continues !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Carbery from full back looked very impressive. I think he had 2 nice line breaks from 15. As 10 he was tackled going backwards a couple of times and while he had some nice passes there was little of the accuracy and fluidity we saw from Sexton last week. He didn’t seem assured in his decisions. Argentina were more successful at closing down our back play than NZ were. Several times they caught the receiver on the second deep pass to a runner behind the forward pod. To me that was the result of a bad decision by the distributor, often Carbery. In those instances the Argentinian tactic should have been read and the pass needed to go flat to a forward.

Overall even though ringrose and henshaw passed and carried well, I thought the backs never really got into the game. Lowe was busy but mostly returning kicks, and Baloucoune barely got into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Great Autumn but it will be another quarter final exit in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Anyone know what happened to Ryan? He gets injured just when Doris scores, I can't see any evidence of a knock to the head in the footage but he looked groggy going off, really hope it's not concussion.

Leinster going to be down a few players for the Euro games at this rate.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He was taken straight off, no mention of a HIA and it was reported after as a head injury. While he walked off gingerly, he wasnt wobbly or anything. Hopefully it was a fully precautionary call

• Advertisement

I've watched it back, there was nothing obvious from his last contact so unless something happened in an earlier phase it's hard to know.

Advertisement