Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Having issues with a set of Deco M5s set up connected to Vodafone router. House isn’t massive, but my wife is having connection issues to the point where she’s set up her office downstairs on the kitchen table. Are the M5s no good or have I overlooked something glaringly obvious that could be causing issues?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's a great idea and mesh is definitely the way to go, the fact that the original Google WiFi had an ethernet port on each of the satellites would be the main reason to go for it for me BUT that is almost 5 year old tech at this stage, the new Nest WiFi is 2 years old. Personally I'd be holding off and going for a WiFi 6 mesh solution as we're just before the launch of it, I remember when 2.4 was the best and then being blown away by 5, the improvement isn't anywhere near as stark in regards to connection between 5 and 6 but 6 will be on a lot of different channels which will make things connect better (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

WiFi 6 uses the same channels as WiFi 5 just manages the airtime better. WiFi 6E adds 6Ghz channels but that's barely available on any devices yet, most are just normal WiFi 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Nest WiFi quite old system, don’t mind first generation.

if you go for Nest , make sure you are not buying any Nest points , buy 2 or 3 Nest routers instead( they often sold as a kit on Amazon)

NEST router could work as satellite/point too , but it is got Ethernet ports and much better range.

Main difference would be the radio unit : Nest router is 4x4 MIMO radio and Nest point only 2x2 MIMO.There is no Ethernet ports on Nest point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

• Advertisement

I followed the on screen instructions so I’m not sure to be honest…

Just looking here. One of them is set to router mode and the other 2 are in ap mode

Edit: scratch that. It’s set to wireless router mode

If it’s in wireless router mode then you need to disable wifi on the Gigabox or whatever your ISP router is.

Yeah I had read that in here before I think so that’s already disabled

Try switching off ‘fast roaming’ in deco settings app and see if that makes a difference.

Is your wife using an old laptop?

If the above doesn’t help I would try setting up a guest network and only enabling 2.4ghz and testing connectivity on that.

Fast roaming is disabled. Laptop is fairly new. Tends to be changed every couple of years I’d say. I’ll try a guest network so

• Advertisement

Scratching my head. All seems ok now. Testing at 200Mbps up in the office every which way I try. Maybe it’s a contention issue during the day?

Now I’m trying wired into the main Deco and it’s giving me 75Mbps whereas on the wifi right beside it I’m getting 310Mbps

Not a fan of TP link products in general, but is there a chance that unit in the kitchen simply too far from the main unit and not capable establish solid link ?

a bit of advice , connect Deco units with Ethernet cables , don’t use wireless backhaul.

Too far? Not going by the specs but it definitely could be walls and floors causing interference between the two. I just expected far better performance when looking at the stated 4500sqft coverage and the house is a fraction of that. I thought the 3 pack would be overkill

Connecting via Ethernet would be the ideal but that would require a lot of messing around. I don’t think I’d be up for it myself. I have looked online for installers that would be able to retrofit Ethernet connections throughout the house

A friend has the Eero and has nothing but praise for it. I’d be tempted to buy it if it’s reduced for Black Friday. Just worried I’d have similar issues

What is your broadband package? Max speed available to you?

1Gbps. I don’t care about hitting that so much as consistency throughout to be honest

Just send it back .

Deco m5 only good for packages up to 100 mbps.

4500 sqft not house coverage but more or less on open with no walls , obstructions etc

unless you could do Ethernet link , don’t bother with it

it. I’d be tempted to buy it if it’s reduced for Black Friday. Just worried I’d have similar issues

Don’t you have 30 day free return ( postage paid ) with Amazon?

I’ve overshot that unfortunately. I’ve sent a query to the TP-Link team anyway. I’ll see what they come back with

You should try move unit in the kitchen. Bring it halfway to the main unit .Might do the trick for you.

I’ll give that a go so. I thought having it up in the office would be the best job so we could have a wired connection there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Having a problem with my M5s.. I have 150mb fibre broadband but when connected through the decos I'm getting 93-97 max over wi-fi and wired.

My setup is eir fibre into house to white box on wall

wire to eir fibre router

wire to main deco from eir router then wire to switch

Wires from switch to the two other decos.

When I run speed test straight from the eir router I'm getting 150mb..

Any ideas what's causing the drop?

It's all new cat 6 wire and 1gb switch.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I just got around to this now as I knew it would take me a while to compare everything. If Speedtest.net results are accurate then the main issue might lie with Vodafone. Huge difference between results there and Fast.com. Still a big drop off either way from Deco to Deco. I don't see a big difference below between having the Deco in the kitchen or the office so I think I'll move it back up so that there's a wired option up there. Those speeds seem grand for everything we'd need to be fair so there must be a lack of consistency or maybe contention issues from Vodafone

Forget about fast.com it is not reliable source.

As for the the Speedtest, make sure you pick the right server there: Blacknight Dublin, Airwire Galway good place to start.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

Hi,

I live in a 3 bed semi and I am looking to extend the WiFi signal all over the house and out to the back garden which is 30ft from the house.

I tried power line adapters and ones with extenders 2 years ago but they kept giving problems and falling out of sync so I've given up on them.

The house is not wired for Ethernet unfortunately so I cannot backhaul a mesh system.

I have 1Gbps Siro broadband from Vodafone and am considering getting a 3 pack of the Eero Pros from Amazon. Would I be better off with th highly recommended Deco M5s.

I have quite a few smart devices from Phillips Hue, Xiaomi robotic hoover, tado smart heating, Eufy security cameras and nest protects.

Do you think this would be a good solution for my circumstances or is there something else you would recommend instead?

Thanks

Post edited by philboy on

I have 1Gbps Siro broadband from Vodafone and am considering getting a 3 pack of the Eero Pros from Amazon. Would I be better off with th highly recommended Deco M5s.

Who’d recommend M5 for 1Gbps package?!

Eero Pro might do a trick , but if Ethernet not an option then watch out for ORBI deals,

RBK50/53s or RBK852/853( obvious choice apart from the price , then again ,some new smartphones cost more ), those two have the most powerful radios I’ve ever seen.

ps.You could try Eero Pro for 30 days of course.

Post edited by alec76 on

Thanks for your feedback Alec. I can't justify the price of the 853 but I think I will go for the RBK753.

Do you know of any reason not to?

For £450 it is a steal, don’t use 3rd unit unless it is absolutely necessary though. Two of those might cover your place.

ps. If you don’t have VOIP service from Vodafone you could get rid of Vodafone router, just plug Orbi directly to ONT ( not an option with Eero which doesn’t support PPPoE and VLAN 10)

Post edited by alec76 on

Legend, thanks for your help!

I'll order those today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have this in, and I agree, I have it as a wired mesh with each of the three units feeding a 5 port switch, so lots of wired in devices and a wired mesh.

However it's getting on now, I probably would not get one now, although they are on sale for black Friday. Having the ability to have a wired mesh would be a must for me though, so the new nest offering with no wired ports would be out the window, not all the devices i have are wireless.

• Advertisement

Advertisement