Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I think you have to understand that this virus is completely new, there is no precedent for it so the experts really don’t know…they are certainly doing their best with vaccines but no one knows for sure what could happen next. I’m not telling you to take the next jab, I’m older than you and I will because I have a lot less years to live with any after effects than you do. But breaking a social contract? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

They are going after the unvaccinated mainly due to the erosion of confidence in the vaccine itself that will accompany any severe lockdown.

After queuing up to get a vaccine the first time round the numbers for the boosters is likely to plummet and the government knows this full well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't understand the logic where people are saying "the vaccines don't work so I'm not taking a booster".

In January we had a less transmissible variant, cases quadrupling in a week, and double the numbers in ICU. My kids were out of school for months.

This time round we have Delta, almost everything open with advisory WFH, and nobody is panicking.

I honestly think that some people believe the increased transmissibility of Delta is a fabrication invented by politicians and public health advisors.

"COVID spreads after vaccines have been rolled out so vaccines don't work so I'm not taking a booster" is the same logic as "I crashed my car under the speed limit, so speed limits don't work, so I'm going to ignore them".

I want to have as much social contact as possible with the lowest risk of getting sick or infecting other people. Government advice or regulations are completely irrelevant in this analysis. If there's evidence that a booster reduces those risks, I'll gladly take one. Pfizer's profits are neither here nor there. I don't rail against the cheesemongers when I decide to eat more cheese, and I don't rail against broccoli farmers when doctors advise me to eat more vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

I won’t. 3 vaccines a year is way over the top, sorry, especially since for me it would have to be 6 days off altogether .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't think it's all about people believing that the vaccines don't work. The original message about vaccines has changed, especially in relation to transmission. Sure, that's Delta to blame but it does make people question the overall effectiveness of the vaccinations. Equally the likes of Israel even hinting at a possible 4th booster does not persuade people that we're on the right path with this. I think most people would accept that offering boosters to older groups and those more vulnerable to COVID is a no-brainer. After that, though it becomes a question of perception of risk, which there was little argument over when there was no protection against the virus. 

Ultimately there will be lower response levels in under 60s groups, something one would assume the HSE have taken into account. Unless the boosters are used to update the COVID cert, an approach almost guaranteed to undermine support for vaccines even more,  we need to accept that some people just don't see that risk in the same way. While the proportion of those not vaccinated in the original programme is very small, the booster distribution is likely to be less unbalanced and we could be talking about 30% or more opting out. 

The risk of side-effects with one administration of the vaccine is reasonably low. As you take more and more, the overall risk of a side-effect adds up.

It's like running across a quiet road with a blindfold - do it once and your chance of getting hit is quite low. Run back and forth again and again and the chance becomes much higher. A person who is ignorant of probability might say "well ive run back and forth five times without being hit so I feel quite safe doing it".

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

From chatting with people the last few weeks i'll be sticking with my we'll never have this high a number of fully vaccinated people again prediction. Most under 50's won't be bothering with it.

Numbers please? Define 'reasonably low.' Or, use a more accurate term, like, 'infinitesimal'

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

People are placing too much blind faith in the effectiveness of the vaccines. For starters they were designed to act against the Alpha or Wuhan strain of Covid, not Delta.

Are people not even wondering why for example in October you had Co. Waterford with highest vaccination rate in the country but also highest rate of Covid at the time.

I know people have been affected badly by Covid-19, families friends people we care for, but this vaccine has failed, numerous studies peer reviewed medical journal attest to this. Natural immunity in the population is what's preventing high number surges in what is now almost 2 years into pandemic. Look back over the years previous to Covid our hospitals have always been in dire straits this time of year, if not worse.

Also our own medical experts have all but admitted the vaccines don't work, check Gillian de Gascun latest comment. I know people really bought into the vaccine being the way out, myself included, and it is hard to accept and believe that they are not the solution, but we aren't going anywhere if we keep believing that these current vaccines are goin to protect us and end all of this.

In fact they are causing more harm to public health and society than good, in time history will reflect this.

• Advertisement

Sounds like good experimental data you're basing your decision on. Chatting with people, like, the same ones every time? You took a man-on-the-street poll?

Or, like in the various other threads you show up in, you're just being a WUM?

We all make decisions in different ways. People are entitled to their opinions and data and there is no point in getting wound up by what you may disagree with. If people want to get a booster they can, if they choose not to that's fine too.

Opinions, yes, Facts, no. There are not alternative facts. Data are just recordings of observations, from which we derive facts and hopefully make an informed decision. The poster in question routinely posts sh1te on the politics threads, so I don't value his/her opinions as they're not derived from intelligent reasoning, just some sick desire to wind people up.

Chatting with people to decide is a way of gathering opinions, is all. I can chat with plenty of people that say get the booster as early as possible. That in and of itself is only part of the process of making a decision. Much like reading discussion of whether to get a booster on a message board.

But, to this point, no one on this thread has presented any data as to why, when available, you shouldn't get a booster. Someone posted some nonsense about people dying from vaccines - well, they didn't die from boosters, and the likelihood of them dying, was infinitesimal. Yes, any injection can kill you, it's a shame but it's not as likely (by orders of magnitude) of Covid killing you or seriously disabling you for the rest of your life. Those are facts not opinions.

In other words nobody has presented to you. You've made your decision and that's fine. People don't just makes decisions based on data and you have to leave them to it. There are many on this thread who are happy to take a booster and quite a few who won't. Neither has to justify themselves to the other. Anecdotal evidence is not scientific but neither is it completely untrue. There certainly is already a sense that the booster programme will not get anywhere as high a level as the original total.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

why anyone wouldn't get the booster after getting the first jabs is beyond me. scientists aren't out to get you, or fool you and yes there is an element of the unknown here, this virus is only two years old, it takes time to get the vaccine optimal. listen to the scientists or we might as well pack up as a species and fade into extinction.

According to the UK's Office of National Statistics there were 5 deaths in the UK (up to August) in which a COVID vaccination was the underlying cause of the death. There were 4 other deaths in which the vaccine was a contributing factor.

And yet here we have KittenSmittens on Boards.ie telling us that they have met TWO people, within the last week, that know someone that died as a result of being vaccinated.

You are a liar @kittensmittens

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The virus may be new, but there are no lack of precedents for pandemics. We have those going back thousands of years and pretty much every tool we've used in this pandemic(quarantine, social distancing, isolating the sick, health passports, even innoculation and later vaccination) has been around since the 15th century. This version of the virus is new, but we've already had SARS and MERS from the same group of viruses that thankfully didn't go to a pandemic status. The "newness" of a virus is only really of note as far as building vaccines for it. In every other practical respect pretty much all of what we have to figure out is serious illness/fatality rates, transmission route and transmissability and do existing treatments work in the infected. If this had been a seasonal flu variant that went rogue the approaches would have been the same.

As for what we knew from early on, or what was pretty obvious and was commented upon even in this forum from remarkably early on; we saw in the case of the cruise ships affected early on that while it was clearly deadlier than a seasonal flu but it overwhelmingly affected those over 50, more like those over 60 and 70 and the already seriously chronically ill. We also saw that it hammered health services because of a lack of overflow capacity. Italy being the scary one there and we were tasked with "flattening the curve". However even though different countries hurried to build massive field hospitals(remember them?) to deal with this overflow, very few were actually needed. The other panic was around ventilators where even Elon Musk looking for attention as usual was promising truckloads of them. Turns out they weren't needed to nearly the degree we thought either. This was all pretty clear by the start of summer of 2020.

So what will happen next? More concern, even panic over a winter climb in cases which will stress already stressed health services that were on the ragged edge before covid. More pushes for boosters in the face of that panic. Societies fighting back against restrictions because of pandemic fatigue over a virus that directly impacts few enough people, or the perception of that. Better vaccines that won't require nearly as many boosters if any in trials now being rolled out in 22.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

There is an element of why aren't people like me in this. We all have our own ways of making decisions, for better or worse.

No matter what happens or whatever evidence is produced some people will never ever ever accept that we were wrong to go « all in » with the vaccine over the summer.

If ever the term « cope » could be summed up in one post, this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

50 years old, no issues taking boosters I believe 100% vaccination is our only way out of this. It'll never happen though about 5 - 10% of people didn't bother getting vaxxed first time around and high proportion will not bother getting the booster. This will keep this going much longer than it needs to.

Post edited by Pinch Flat on

• Advertisement

The EU Covid passes (on which ours is based) had the 6 months in them originally, but it was taken out to encourage vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Latest figures from the Office for National Statistics showed that England and Wales registered 20,823 more deaths than the five-year average in the past 18 weeks. Only 11,531 deaths involved Covid.” (“Alarm grows as mortuaries fill with thousands of extra non-Covid deaths“, UK Telegraph)'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A few of my friends are saying the same. I will get the booster but I respect their decision. We've had good discussions about it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

It is very one-sided imo.

Many people who are committed to official and mainstream scientific advice seemingly have no respect for personal judgement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moderna were the golden boy of the new mRNA tech that promised to be a game changer in treatments for many conditions. They got into bed with Astrazenaca to build this new tech. The problem was that mRNA treatments caused too many horrible side effects and the vast majority of treatments didn't get past the animal testing stage because of that. They were also criticised for not publishing any peer reviewed papers on their technology(claiming commercial interests). Moderna went from a billion quid new kid on the block to struggling as investors walked away on the back of those trials. So they looked at what was the poor man of biotech, vaccines. The reason being that vaccines require smaller doses and fewer of them to get a useful effect, so side effects were less of a risk but until covid 19 it meant a much reduced return on investment.

Now do I beleive mRNA vaccines will lead to horrible side effects in many down the line? Not particularly, but I would be wary of getting mRNA boosters every few months and it's one reason why I chose the J&J viral vector vaccine(when there was a choice). Ah but they've been tested in the real world across many millions!. Yep they have, over a period of less than 18 months in the middle of a world emergency. By very definition one can't claim with a straight face to have long term results over the short term. To put it crudely; if I light a ten minute fuse on a bomb, everything is dandy at five minutes. If I light the ten minute fuses on a million bombs everything is still dandy at five minutes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Absolutely. Everyone to their own. Some people get all wound up by other peoples decisions and what they choose to do which to me is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You are 100% correct. We do not know the long term effects of the mRNA vaccines. It is likely there will be none worth mentioning but we do not know.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The vaccine reduces transmission of delta.

That’s a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Who says their deaths were listed as Covid Vaccine related? This is Ireland ffs lol. They both died from heart problems(that had never been a medical issue before) according to their family members, and according to their family members it was no time after receiving the vaccinations! Chances are, knowing Ireland and its wonderfully transparent Health Service, they will NEVER be listed as covid vaccine related deaths or ever even investigated as such. Just people who happened to die very shortly after receiving their second dose of the vaccine.

Thats what worries a lot of people. We have a Health Service that has proven time and again that it cannot be trusted and yet here we are, putting blind faith into these people. Only this time, its with our own lives. This time its not another child with catastrophic birth injuries due to medical negligence or swine flu vaccine related compensation being paid out to yet another affected person(and this list for this is endless not just these two examples). This time they are leaving the responsibility to take this vaccine down to each individual and therefore absolving the HSE of any responsibility if anything goes wrong after you take it. But if you dont take it......we take away your freedoms and rights. Call me a liar if you want, doesn't bother me in the slightest, if it makes things more comfortable for you, fire away.

Coercion of the finest order that doesn't sit well with me.

Edit. I've edited for transparency. I've had both vac's. I was horrifically ill after the second dose for almost 4 months. And I'm not the only one. This factor may be the biggest hurdle in the reluctance for the boosters. Thats my reason for now not taking any further doses.

• Advertisement

@Wibbs 'Now do I beleive mRNA vaccines will lead to horrible side effects in many down the line?'

I don't share your confidence.

Do you remember I said on the Vaccine Megathread I would be looking out for a rise in mysterious, unexplained heart attacks and sudden adult death syndrome?

These have exploded in the UK.

From my link above:

'Data from the UK Health Security Agency show there have been thousands more deaths than the five-year average in heart failure, heart disease, circulatory conditions and diabetes since the summer.'

Advertisement