Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

@astrofool 'You're talking about a hypothetical situation that I don't believe will happen for the general population'

According to this morning's news (Sunday Independent) the government are now considering bringing it in.

Edit: 'The Sunday Independent can reveal the Government is examining changes to the Covid Pass that would mean people eligible for a booster shot would not be considered fully vaccinated until they avail of their third jab.

A memo to ministers last week stated: “The Senior Officials Group will further explore the policy and logistical implications of any change to the validity of the Covid Pass in the context of a widespread booster programme.”'

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I haven't seen any evidence that whole virus vaccines are more effective or longer lasting. Have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The polio vaccine is inactivated and the virus is largely eradicated, people who had the vaccine back in the early 90s are still protected

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think referring to coronavirus vaccine, SinoVac/Pharm uses the whole virus but efficacy is lower than others.

Let's see the reasoning behind it, if we go like Israel, something in between or something entirely different.

I guess your opinion is already made up? Care to share it if so?

• Advertisement

Yes my opinion is that the covid certs should be scrapped, there should be no discrimination and access to businesses should not be used as a bargaining chip.

Anyone who wants a vaccine should be given one. Otherwise let people go about their lives.

I would point out that you have your mind made up without seeing or knowing all the data (while also pushing a no restrictions, let people die response to the pandemic? I guess you also need restrictions not to work for this to make sense in your mind?).

As has been shown numerous times during the pandemic, that is a foolhardy approach where data and facts either make you look silly or you become so entrenched in an opinion that it becomes fanatical rather than rational.

Okay please show me the data which vindicates covid certs.

Presumably there has been a drop in transmission specifically in pubs, cafes, cinemas etc.

What are the transmission numbers pre-cert and post-cert for each or any of these venues? I'm prepared to consider such data if there is any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I’ve read his post several times and can’t find the part where he calls for a “let people die response” can you point it out to me? Also, someone like you calling other people fanatical? Fcuking hilarious!!

• Advertisement

You've already made up your mind and you're clearly not for changing it (if anything heading deeper into the no-vax talking points).

(I mean the only data that works is the number of unvaccinated in hospital, most places weren't open or limited open pre-cert so there is no control to compare against, the unvaccinated are taking up 50% of hospital space despite being excluded from locations of high social interaction, data from boosters can be seen from Israel but they are a mix of unvaxxed, double dosed and boosted, but you'll ignore all this).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

*Translation - "I've got no data to back up my assumptions, so I'll deflect."

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Ask them directly if they think there should be any restrictions :)

It's been posted multiple times on multiple threads (I edited some back in for others, growleaves mind is not for changing).

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

It would be impossible to get data on it since Valneva's trials are more recent than the currently available injections. But it stands to reason that a whole virus vaccine that creates antibodies and B- and T-cell immunity to the whole virus will give immunity that is more reminiscent of infection-acquired (whole virus) immunity than current vaccine-acquired (single protein) immunity. And since we know that infection-acquired immunity is far superior to current vaccine-acquired immunity and appears to be much longer lasting, I'm hopeful.

At the very least, if governments allow people who are hesitant of current vaccines to avail of Valneva's offering, it will likely result in a greater % of overall population being vaccinated.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

I don't trust "stands to reason" in this area, it's hugely complex.

Did you read the article I linked to? The experts seem to reject simplistic analysis.

You're under no obligation to also be hopeful.

Have a good day.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Oh, OK.

btw, your statement that

we know that infection-acquired immunity is far superior to current vaccine-acquired immunity and appears to be much longer lasting,

is also not supported by evidence

Science Brief: SARS-CoV-2 Infection-induced and Vaccine-induced Immunity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

honestly how are they back here? absolute morons thinking food requirements and 6 to a tables matters a jot.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be interested in anything the CDC has to say on this matter. They are highly invested in getting people vaccinated, so the advice is always "well it doesn't really matter just get the jab" despite there being some evidence that getting jabbed after infection increases adverse vaccination reactions. Their vaccination aims preclude them from being able to accurately inform on infection-acquired immunity.

Strong protection for at least 10 months (the longest anyone's been checked in the studies cited in this article) seems to be about right, for now, with some hope that immunity will end up being similar to that of SARS-CoV, where people still have immunity 17 years after infection.

The Science article was good, btw. Thanks.

Heading out for the day. Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tweaking makes them look like they are doing something! An acceleration in the booster programme in the over 60s would be more beneficial.

The vaccinated just can't seem to help themselves but to spread Covid all over. They need to be reined in. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 38,312 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep some load of bollocks

More nonsense from the government to distract the public away from there incompetence. Should be accelerating the booster programme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

If anybody over 18 who needs intensive care and refused to get vaccinated earlier this year should be de-prioritised over people who got the jabs and are in a similar situation given the lack of hospital beds currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ok, so we go by your recommendation.

Somebody arrives in A&E today, in rag order, can barely breathe. Sits down in reception. Admin person asks if you are vaccinated. Patient says I have been recommended by my doctor not to take it as I am immunocompromised. Admin person say "Any proof?". Patient "err no. I can ring my doctor to send proof". Admin "Well you go and get a hold of your doctor and tell them to get you letter to prove it. Until then, back of the queue".

Patient (who remember is in such rag order is in an A&E department) tries ringing his doctor. Of course today is Sunday and he/she doesnt have the doctors personal number. Goes back up to the admin person, "I can't get a hold of the doctor, it's a Sunday". Admin person "tough luck champ, go to your doctor tomorrow and then come back to me".

Is that ok?

Everyone who expresses this opinion should be jailed for the good of society.

That person's wet dream is getting the opportunity to laugh in the face of a 20-year-old immunocompromised person as they drown on their own cytokines. Don't give such filth any time.

I've just returned from the North Pole. I was liaising with Santa Claus (I'm part-elf).

Santie was going to leave a lump of coal for the unvaccinated but that plan has changed since we remembered that coal is climate-unfriendly.

Instead the unvaccinated will get empty stockings on Christmas morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,312 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The love of God sometimes you just have to laugh. Didn't know enjoying life was a crime, heading up to the 3Arena for a concert and feels like I should be ashamed of myself like the thousands at the rugby now because the restrictions imposed on Pubs and Nightclubs

Advertisement